Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Largest failed airline  (Read 2412 times)

Offline [ATA] - lilius

• Members
Re: Largest failed airline
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 02:52:46 PM »
Less successful players always blame real life. Most of the time its really about too heavy expansion or just awful decisions. Play this game right and you can go on vacation for weeks and just get back to it with a bigger account than before and that is without hiding from competition in some obscure airport without competition.

Sigma

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 04:28:28 PM »
Less successful players always blame real life. Most of the time its really about too heavy expansion or just awful decisions. Play this game right and you can go on vacation for weeks and just get back to it with a bigger account than before and that is without hiding from competition in some obscure airport without competition.

I don't think that was Jona's point.  But rather that, eventually an airline reaches a size where it requires too much time doing not-so-fun things that it quickly becomes more trouble than it's worth to many people and they just let it die.

I see it every single game.  Most of the top airlines at 50% will be gone by the end of the game.  Not because of some sort of "bad decisions", by that point they've got so much cash in the bank that there are no "bad decisions" that could really affect them.  Most will be completely profitable right up to the point they disappear.  They either get bored with being so huge and having so much money that the game is no longer particularly important so at some point they just click Bankruptcy, or so bored with being invincibly large that they simply no longer log-in and their airline eventually succumbs to lack of pricing updates and poor fleet maintenance (which can take many, many real weeks) or they get so bored that the work required to keep it even stable is simply no fun -- i.e. updating the schedules of 200 737-500s that you upgraded to 737-800s, requiring manually updating up to a thousand routes.  It's often manageable if people log-on frequently, but as soon as they don't check in for a few days, then log-on to find 20 planes waiting to be rescheduled, they simply give it up because it's no fun.

jest

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 05:19:15 PM »
I usually have big airlines and do not get bored. I follow a strategy since the beginning and if i know i am using a particular kind of plane that is going to be replaced by a larger one somewhere in time, the turnaround times will be scheduled according to the bigger plane. Yes that costs me money but it is negligible and allows the replacement without fuss.

Offline [ATA] - lilius

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »
Sigma >> Definately, I should have said "almost" always because I know that exists. I still dont believe excess of cash or lazyness to make a fleet change is a factor in the majority of the bankruptcies.

Jest >> I work the same. Keeping standard turnarounds works well. Also in Air Travel Boom, you can easily use the same fleet from the beginning all the way out of 2020 all you have to do is to renew.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:00:31 PM by lilius »

GDK

• Former member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 12:43:46 PM »
For small airlines, most of them die because of the impatience of the player. Too eager to expand their fleet or accidentally get some Russian planes... But for big airlines, it is just like what sigma told.

For me, I just left when I saw my fleet of Airbus + Boeing + Tupolev lost $40m in 48 hours when the fuel price changes.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.