Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] In House Maintenence  (Read 606 times)

MCR247

• Former member
[-] In House Maintenence
« on: May 14, 2010, 07:56:31 PM »
Would it be possible to have in house maintenence that means A & B checks would be free (or very low price) as you employ the engineers to do that. And say 2 would be needed for every aircraft. Or if you didn't mind longer check times, you could have 1 per aircraft. You could need more engineers for larger aircraft

For C & D checks, they could be cheaper

To get in house maintenance you would have to have a hanger/building at the airport the aircraft are based at. They could also be used for storing aircraft in, like you could have a spare B738 at the hanger and you wouldn't have to pay a fee. Then if a 738 has a C-Check, a space plane can be used. Also if a flight is heavily delayed then you could bring spare aircraft out

To prevent everyone doing this, it would be very expensive, so you cant do it at the beginning.  It could be cheaper for a small one that can fit 1 A/C on check and 1 spare, etc and they can be upgraded. Also, if say you are based in London Heathrow and that is where you have a hanger, but you have a secondary base in Paris CDG and you had a paris A/C that needs a C/D Check, you could choose to use default maintenence, or fly it to Heathrow and have it done there. You would them have to pay costs to fly it there, the price depending on the range

Just some ideas :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:18:40 AM by sami »

Sigma

• Former member
Re: In House Maintenence
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »
Erm, I'm fairly sure that the system now does assume you're doing "in-house maintenance".

Just because something's done in-house doesn't mean it's free or even cheap.  Even in a simple A-Check, there's always going to be a certain cost to doing one on average because of items that are found to be in need of replacement and even moreso for a B-Check; and when it comes to aircraft, even a few little parts adds up to many or tens of thousands of dollars.  C & D Checks will have a whole host of items that will be in need of replacement/refurbishment.  Additionally, as we have no line-item for it, there's a cost for countless disposable maintenance items (MRO) and, facilities, and the countless specialized tools required as well that are ammortized over each maintenance check.

In fact, Maintenance costs are probably one of the things that are grossly underestimated in this game and one of the reasons why profit margins are so high.  American Airlines, for example (which does all in-house on its major jet fleet), pays out some 20% of its total revenue just in maintenance of its aircraft.  Right now, in MT#2, I'm only paying 5% of my revenues out in maintenance costs.  Even if you were to say that it's because I'm not doing a lot of D-Checks (true), I've historically (in previous games) only maxed out at about 9-10% of revenues in maintenance, even if my fleet is ancient.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 05:04:11 PM by Sigma »

MCR247

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »
Well maybe that isn't the right way of putting it, but I meant you employ people to do it opposed to paying each time, which maybe more attractive for big airlines

Just an idea  :)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 06:55:56 PM »
Even if you were to say that it's because I'm not doing a lot of D-Checks (true), I've historically (in previous games) only maxed out at about 9-10% of revenues in maintenance, even if my fleet is ancient.

That figure is about right, according to my lecture notes ~11% of an airlines costs are maintenance.

For a civil aircraft maintenance accounts for ~24% of its lifecycle costs (more for military) and attributes ~22% of direct operating costs.

I do think the idea of building a hanger for the airline would be good now bases have been implemented but I don't know how it should benefit you.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Sigma

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 04:53:00 AM »
Well maybe that isn't the right way of putting it, but I meant you employ people to do it opposed to paying each time, which maybe more attractive for big airlines

Just an idea  :)

You do employ people to do it.

What you're paying for when you pay for the Checks isn't labor.  You're always paying for your Maintenance people and every plane you operate requires X more maintenance people to be hired to handle its requisite maintenance checks.  What you're paying for when each check is done are the parts required to be replaced/refurbished during the check and/or the parts found to be needed to be replaced as well as an amortized cost of all your tools and facilities required to do it in.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 11:03:03 AM »
Yes actually I would rather do outsourcing of maintenance, as you DO do it inhouse at the moment.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.