Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Cold War Aircraft Restrictions  (Read 935 times)

zorbon

• Former member
[-] Cold War Aircraft Restrictions
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:31:14 PM »
As far as I know, no NATO nation flew Soviet airliners, and no Soviet nation flew NATO built airliners.

In my humble opinion, I find it slightly annoying to see British and American airlines flying Yak-42's and Soviet airlines flying around in Boeing's in the mid 80s. Even if bought via leasing firm, I highly doubt the Ruskies would allow it.

It may come off as a slight rant, but I think there should be a restriction on aircraft based on which block you are in. Yes this gives an unfair advantage to western nations, but imo it's a lot better than seeing an airline with Aeroflot logo in Moscow that flies nothing but Boeing's.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 09:40:51 PM by sami »

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
Re: Cold War Aircraft Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 05:16:41 PM »
I almost know for sure jet fuel was cheaper in the USSR... so there is your advantache for the eastern block.

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 02:13:44 AM »
This idea would probably require some extensive coding but I agree with it so as to give all those soviet types some use in their designed environment. Sure they are more costly to run but expenses for airlines in Warsaw Pact countries was less than those in the West due to the different governing ideologies.

zorbon

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:20:42 AM »
The idea wouldn't be hard to code at all, It's simply a few logic checks, and 2 extra variables.

in sudo cpp it'd be something like this...

Code: [Select]
Click Purchase button.
if (airline.block = "West" && aircraft_to_be_bought.origin="East")
{ display.error("you can't purchase this aircraft");
else if
(airline.block = "Eastt" && aircraft_to_be_bought.origin="West")
{ display.error("you can't purchase this aircraft");
else
{BuyAircraft();}

As far as supplementing fuel cost, that's fairly simple too, Just a matter of taking the fuel variable multiplying the percent of supplement then adding it to the revenue for the week.

In php it's probably a little more work, but even so, that's very very simple datachecking code ;)

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:13:43 AM »
well the fuel supplementation and aircraft limiting would certainly make flying these aircraft in soviet-era games more viable, and maybe even a AWS game world could be established only including Warsaw-Pact countries and Eastern Bloc aircraft to give a nice challenge that is different to the norm as players would have to adapt new strategies for these unfamiliar aircraft. 
If this were to be viable though, PAX demand within the USSR would probably need to be given a slight boost to assist players with their Load Factors

Offline Yuha

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:21:58 PM »
What about cold war route restrictions? As far as I remember some West European airlines used the polar route to fly to Tokyo and made a refuel stop in Anchorage and Finnair flew nonstop via the North Pole with DC-10. They were not allowed to fly over Siberia.  ???

zorbon

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:29:40 AM »
What about cold war route restrictions? As far as I remember some West European airlines used the polar route to fly to Tokyo and made a refuel stop in Anchorage and Finnair flew nonstop via the North Pole with DC-10. They were not allowed to fly over Siberia.  ???

routing restrictions are much harder to program in a web environment. So I highly doubt it'd be done.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.