Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Aircraft bidding  (Read 702 times)

carrisi

• Former member
[-] Aircraft bidding
« on: February 21, 2010, 12:32:46 AM »
I think there should be competitive bidding for aircraft to determine the market price. I think you should allow 2 days (ie one real hour) for each aircraft to be bid for. There should be a reserve minimum price, and once a bid has been made there is one real hour for other players to counterbid to determine a final price. That price should then be published for all players to see (even if the payer name is not disclosed).

Perhaps players could also bid to buy the aircraft. So the owner can choose between a purchase price and a lease price. eg bid value 30m = lease price x int rate/12 - to see which player gets the aircraft
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:45:19 PM by sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Aircraft bidding
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 12:37:29 AM »

How this would relate to new and small airlines with less funds available?

Of course helps to the process of "who clicks first, gets it" and thus I like it. However the main concern is that rich airlines are able to dominate the bidding.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »

To bump this topic, how do you feel about this?

For used aircraft .. if you spot a plane you like, you'd place a bid for it. And you could also place the (hidden) maximum bid for automatic raises.

If nobody else bids for 5 game days, you get the plane. Delivery time would be 10+5 days minimum (so not 14+5).

If someone else bids higher than you, the auction would be in force for next 7-10 game days. During that time the player can raise his bid manually or the system will auto-raise the bid according to the previously set maximum bid. When auction time is over the highest bidder wins...

Sigma

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:59:21 PM »
I like the idea in theory, and have suggested it in the past.  But there is one potential problem, and that is that people with money are going to get all the planes and newer and/or less experienced players are going to have a much harder time securing aircraft than they already do today because their planes are going to keep getting snapped up by people with more money, allowing them to generate more revenue and profits, and allowing them even higher bids on Used aircraft allowing them to bid even more on the next one and the next one.... a cycle that will continue in perpetuity.  Any experienced player will tell you that they don't even consider the price of a plane when buying it Used on the market in the earlier stages of the game -- if it's what they want they buy it, there's no time to consider the price -- because they know that they'll make a profit with it regardless.

If you really want the feature, I think it'd be better implemented by improving the Broker Pricing system that exists today.  If the broker sees that every time they put an A300 (or whatever) on the market it gets bought in minutes, they should increase the price slightly.  At least that way it's a fair chance to everyone to swoop it up.  Likewise, if it sits around for weeks, they should quickly drop the price until it finds a buyer.  This would also increase the variety of planes people use as well because certain models that might otherwise be unappealing, may be more viable options at deeply discounted pricing.

The "who clicks first gets it" model might seem unappealing, but it is "fair".  And it also is realistic.  If a broker offers a plane for $10M on the market, whoever says they'll buy it first is going to get it at that price.  If he realizes he priced it too low because it sold in minutes, he just knows that next time he's going to have to raise the price.

Perhaps the auction idea would have a place selling those planes that people don't want -- and I'm thinking the Russian ones really.  If a broker has the option of scrapping a perfectly good plane or selling it for just a little more than scrap, he's going to take the higher price.  He's not going to keep listing it for 20 times the scrap price, have no one buy it, then just scrap it.  So, if a plane has sat on the market for a couple years, perhaps it should be auctioned off with a Reserve price of Scrap + 25% (or whatever).  That way some people can run an airline off otherwise "junk" planes that cost them very little to buy but have some unappealing factor about them (maybe age, maybe fuel consumption, whatever).  I'm thinking a ValuJet type enterprise here for those familar with that defunct airline.  I think that'd bring a really cool aspect to the game.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:05:52 PM by Sigma »

castelino009

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:02:29 PM »
-100 from me, too time consuming.

prefer the current one. Simple, easy and quick.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:09:01 PM by V.Castelino »

Dookz

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:07:16 PM »
This is a nice option to have for auctioning player-owned aircrafts but doing it for every single AI brokered aircraft could be a huge problem like you guys pointed out. If it's really needed or would like to test it in a live feature make the auctions rare, perhaps 1 auction in every 10 or 20.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:09:56 PM by Dookz »

mideg

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:22:15 PM »
I like Sigmas idea. It's quick for the buyer so he can go on and make routes for the new plane after he bought/leased it, but it gives the game some feeling of a real market with changing prices.

Offline TommyC81

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »
So, how about a combination of both;

Some planes being leased out at fixed prices on a first come basis.
Some planes are auctioned.

This could simulate a variety of things like a broker needing to lease out a plane quickly, a bank who needs to recover money or odd planes with uncertain chances/prices to lease it out.

Starting/fixed prices could depend on popularity/availability etc. and could be a good way have players make more difficult decisions when balancing costs, commonality and availability.

I guess there is an endless combination of ways to do it...

Offline RushmoreAir

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 01:55:05 PM »
So, how about a combination of both;

Some planes being leased out at fixed prices on a first come basis.
Some planes are auctioned.

Ebay! All the planes should be on auction, with a "buy it now" button!  ;)

Offline lastchancer

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 12:27:42 AM »
My suggestion:
1. Planes get cheaper the longer they are in the used market without been sold. Lets say 5% off every month.

2. If another plane of the same fleet type enter the used market it start for a price a bit higher (let´s say 10%) over the price the brokers  got for the last plane of this fleet type plane (or over the cheapest plane of this fleet type available if there is/are still one/some in the used market).

Both (1. and 2.)should be limited to let´s say +/- 50% change of the default prices.

This might lead to gameworld prices for planes that differ from the real world prices, but it would represed the gameworld demand.   

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.