Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: MTOW and commonality  (Read 601 times)

albinobedbug

• Former member
MTOW and commonality
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:38:14 AM »
Hi all,

Quick question about when buying or leasing a NEW airplane. When it gives you the option of added MTOW does it just affect the range of the aircraft or are there other results of the changed setting?

another quick question about commonality: my small (but quickly growing) fleet is mostly MD-80's and an old and soon to be replaced B707 so my commonality is pretty tight but i was hoping someone could fill me in a little more on the aspects of it: how is it broken down, do you actually save money with more of the same type or are you just reducing the amount of money required to train the pilots to fly more than one type, do the different models of the same engine producer save you money or what.

Thanks
-J

Sigma

• Former member
Re: MTOW and commonality
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 05:42:47 AM »
The MTOW variants are different in primarily 3 ways, only one of which (Range) is a positive.  The other two are downsides of adding all that extra fuel.

1>  Range
2>  Runway Requirement (heavier the plane, longer runway required)
3>  Price (some MTOW variants are cheap upgrades, others are big money)

In regards to commonality, each subsequent plane you buy of a model you already have is only incrementally more expensive than the last one, and this amount decreases for each subsequent purchase.  So, if you've got 100 planes of a single type, then pretty soon each one only adds a fairly small percentage to your maintenance budget.

However, each subsequent MODEL of a plane you buy not only costs more simply because you're now 'starting over' on that decreasing cost curve, but it also increases the costs of ALL OTHER models of plane you run too.  The impact up to 3 models is very minimal, so you are perfectly alright going with 3 models (as long as it's not one plane of each, that's just inefficient), however once you get to 4 models you will see a HUGE increase in the costs to operate every one of your fleets.

Engine commonality isn't even remotely as important and isn't worth a fraction of the attention to maintain maximum commonality as your fleet is.  In general, stick with the same manufacturer, maybe 2, and you'll be perfectly fine.  I'm sure if you went all crazy and bought engines from 12 different manufacturers it'd be a problem, but normally there's very little reason to stray too far as there simply isn't the opportunity in most cases unless your fleet is likewise very inefficient because most planes aren't offered with that many different engines options/manufacturers, particularly in later-era games (the 747 being an obvious exception).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:47:25 AM by Sigma »

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »
Higher MTOW also results in higher landing/navigation fees as they are based on max weight.

albinobedbug

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 04:50:19 AM »
Awesome, appreciate it.

I have just the 707 and MD's but i bought a temporary BAC for just a year maybe less to swoop in on some good routes someone just dumped. i hope to replace them both with more MD's very soon.

Thanks again
-J

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.