Alliance Choice and Advertising Routes

Started by auerbacs, February 12, 2010, 06:46:18 PM

auerbacs

I've been told that you get more passenger demand if you belong to an alliance. Is this true, and is it significant? If so, by what criteria should one pick an alliance? Is it best to belong to the biggest alliances overall, or would a smaller one based in your region net more passenger demand?

Regarding advertising routes, if you open a route without assigning an airplane to it (planning to do so once you technically own the new aircraft, 2 weeks before it arrives), can you advertise that route to any effect? I mean, I know that you can start a campaign, but will the route image go up even before you fly it for the first time? It would be nice if I could have the route image up to 30 or so before the plane even arrives.

Thanks for your help as always!
Auerbacs

d2031k

Alliance membership is a win-win situation I always think.  It does boost your load factors maybe 5-10%, depending on the rating of the alliance and if you're in a larger one, it also reduces competition for you on certain routes.  If the alliance is adhered to by all members, co-operation on routes can be organised and they will not expand through your hub either.  You also have useful allies in the battles that will inevitably arise.

You can advertise before your aircraft arrives and this will raise the route image a little - I'm not sure if you could achieve 30 in 2 weeks though.  Route marketing is not terribly effective for a long period and your route will reach 100 eventually if you fly it frequently enough.  CI is much more important that RI

Dave :)

auerbacs

Thanks Daveos. You answered both of my questions.
Auerbacs

SirGrant

How do you join an Alliance?  I know how to physical find it on the game site, I'm more so referring to finding out if alliance groups have there own criteria?

d2031k

Most alliances are only usually open to invitation.  If you find one you want to join, you usually have to get in touch with a managing member who can then send an invite out.  If its open for applications, you can apply and a managing member will accept or decline your request.

When they start forming in The Jet Age, a screen like below will appear.  They either say 'invitation only' or apply for membership (or similar)

SirGrant

Thank you Daveos,  I see your one of the managing directors for Worldlink.

Does your alliance have a criteria that you use to seek/accept potential Airlines as apart of the alliance?

I haven't done an alliance before, thought i'd give it ago, i have have read there are some good benefits of being in such a group.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out in the Jet Age for when they are available.

Cheers  :)

Maarten Otto

I have a airline on several servers and to me the company business plan is a go or no go for alliance membership. On EuroChallenge I don't take part in an alliance as I have good load factors due to a well established business model, and some "pub negotiations" with other airline CEO's.  ;)  But on DOTM it's another story. There I operate an airline with almost 50 Embrear 120 Brasillia props (30 pax) and I NEED the alliance to boost load volumes.

d2031k

We don't really have an explicit criteria, but we tend to actively search for airlines that are performing well in particular regions, or users within those regions that are active and like to converse.

WorldLink has been going for a long time now, so we have a fair few regulars now.  We had a press release out a couple of days ago looking for some new members for when we open in this game - https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,18270.0.html

For me alliances represent a huge part of the game, as you can develop a mini-social network within them and exchange some good information not only about the game, but about whatever you're up to in real-life too.  The game wouldn't be the same for me without them  ;D