Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Jet Age vs ATB  (Read 793 times)

yyebo

• Former member
Jet Age vs ATB
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:52:43 AM »
Hi All

I've played first two ATB games but never in a Jet age before.

Is there any noticeably different to ATB era besides you have older model of planes?

Thanks

Pai
Lunar Airways

Offline JonesyUK

• Members
Re: Jet Age vs ATB
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:50:58 PM »
Jet age is a bit harder because of the high fuel consumption of the early jets and the lack of very long range planes (Max about 5000nm). Watch out for the scramble for DC10-30's  ;)

Offline ali5541

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
Additionally in The Jet Age era, money goes a whole lot further then Air Travel Boom. Planes may consume fuel, but at the current period, it's rather cheap. Moreover, the Jet Age is a tad bit easier to make money in if you don't have much competition.
Top Airway Sim Fan, Member since July-2007

Offline JonesyUK

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:41:39 PM »
Additionally in The Jet Age era, money goes a whole lot further then Air Travel Boom. Planes may consume fuel, but at the current period, it's rather cheap. Moreover, the Jet Age is a tad bit easier to make money in if you don't have much competition.

Don't think that's true in previous games which included the two fuel crises of the 70's. With the new game starting earlier things will be cheap at the start, although ticket prices won't be as high. The custom fuel prices will be the decider. Has sami been kind or not?  8)

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 08:03:07 PM »
No, JA is much harder then ATB era games. ATB is im sorry, very easy. Theres demand to everywhere and also, a wide selection of aircraft to choose from. It also allows many starting game strategies.

However, in JA games, its much different. There's always a lack of new aircraft to choose from. Causing the queue lines to be very long. Just look at JA now, popular aircraft models are pushing 1yr + in queues and were 2 weeks into the game... its only going to get worse. Add that we have limited aircraft to choose from and avg route demand is well below 100 daily pax, its much harsher environment. Strategies are limited, hubs are over crowed and theres no such thing as ULH non-stop. 4800nm is just about the max you can fly for a few years.

In ATB era, you can have 100 players flying and finding there niche. In JA those same 100 are all fighting for the big routes. Suddenly that ORD-ATL 1000 daily pax is a gold mind everyone west of Denver is fighting for...

Less choices make the gameplay harder to succeed. That's why you will get complaints about "too many people, we need caps" or " increase production on popular models". Players are so.. spoiled by the "easyness"  of ATB. They come into JA games thinking the same strategies and tactics work... well they dont.

JA games get 1 maybe 2 times to BK. After that, the stronger airlines are out of reach and things wont open up till about 30% into the game once the mid-level airlines start to drop creating holes that can be filled.

This is mostly why JA is harder then ATB era.

Talentz

Woot, made a word up! :laugh:

yyebo

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:43:14 AM »
Ture, I found ATB is much easier so far.

hmmm, we don't have enough routes is one big issue, however I'm facing any problem...

I was away for a few months, didn't play last games. I realised it's even harder for me to get decent LFs.

In early games, you can get 95%+ LF even your RI is 0 if there's no competitors.

Later in ATB2, you have to discount about 30% to get 80%+ if RI is 0

Now I found even 50% discount is not good enough for newly opened routes...This made me in big red...

Can anyone tell me if my above finding is true?

Pai

d2031k

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 01:06:18 AM »
High load factors do take much much longer in this new game.  It is only now 4 months in that bright green loads are appearing for me, rather than the reds and yellows of low loads.  Marketing is seemingly less influential to start with and the slow and old planes increase the need for better seats too.  This is the case in The Early Days and seems similar here.

I think you can probably tell from the airlines list that a lot of people are experiencing this slow growth or have to get smaller aircraft to get presence.  DC-6s seem to be the most successful aircraft types.  I think it was 'Air Jordan' (I can't remember who the player was, sorry) a fair few games back that hammered everything in sight with DC-6s at the start and never looked back.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.