Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Some of you are going to learn a HARD lesson  (Read 1601 times)

Offline ekaneti

• Members
Some of you are going to learn a HARD lesson
« on: December 27, 2009, 12:48:15 AM »
Ive been looking at the airlines in the Beginner game that just started. Let me first say it is very generous of Sami to have created short and cheap $$$ beginners games. Some of the new players need the read the following.

When you start your airline:

1. Keep fleet types to a minimum. No more than 2 at first. As your profits grow you can add types.
2. Limit advertising to billboards and newspapers and advertise locally or nationally, not globally
3. Keep MX costs to a minimum. This means NO Russian aircraft and NO aircraft over 10 years old. Check to see how much a C check will cost, cuz youll need one within 12 months max and more like 6 months. Keep C check costs under $500,000.
4. Dont fly to cities less than daily. Find a large market from your hub and fly it multiple times per day
5. Dont use planes under 30 seats. The game isnt programmed to make anything smaller profitable at this point. Small planes are ok to add once profits roll in
6. Discount fares 10-20% at first and raise fares as LF increases.

The best planes for this game are 737-300s. MD-80s, ATRs, and newer widebodies. 146s cost almost as much as a 737 with 30-50 fewer seats. DC-9s will be very expensive to put thru C check. If you must get DC-9s the -50s are best.

GOOD LUCK

Offline LemonButt

• Members
Re: Some of you are going to learn a HARD lesson
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 02:01:48 AM »
This Beginner's world is my first full game and I have been scratching my head wondering what I'm doing wrong here as I'm not killing the profits like some of the biggest airlines right now.  I'm glad to know I'm not crazy.  The largest airline, for example, has 29 planes comprised of 7 different fleets and a company value of negative $19 million.

Also, with 150+ people starting at once, why isn't there more used planes available at the start?  Less than 6 months in, there are exactly ZERO Boeing, Lockheed, McDonald-Douglas, or Airbus planes available, yet when I joined the Rise of the Modern Airliner game, there is a full page of Airbus and 3 pages of Boeing planes available.  I read in the newbie guide somewhere that you should ideally have no less than 20 planes in a single fleet before expanding your fleet commonality as the maintenance can be crushing, yet it seems there are plenty of airlines making it with very little commonality (largely a factor of plane availability being terrible).

I also don't understand how many are so successful flying to 14 airports in 7 days with 1 plane, especially the triangle routes.  The fact the beginner's world is only 6 years long also means that purchasing airplanes is a poor move considering 6 years (72 months) of leasing costs is usually several lease years cheaper than purchasing the plane.  Loans are also available for repayment over a 10 year term when there is only 6 years in the game, meaning you can virtually borrow money interest free or even at a negative interest rate depending on how much you end up paying off before the game is over (i.e. you can borrow $1 million over 10 years and only end up paying back $500k before the game is over as opposed to $1 million + $500k in interest/fees).

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:55:35 PM »
Its all good advice but all I can say is I have a DC-10 and IL62M....they both make me good money!

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:56:33 PM »
Almost forgot the IL62 is 19 years old......all I gotta say is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!

Offline Unbornio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:29:17 AM »
Later... the maintenance will kill you. Sure, every plane makes money but how long is the question  ;D, in this case till the C check comes.

Beta Tester

LOT767

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 04:40:48 AM »
I agree, but for the meantime its profit. I am new here to I am just testing the waters, figured I would role play a little in the time Era that this game is in , Central/Eastern Europe was still heavily Soviet aircrafts so I decided to play along

hybridace101

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 08:35:53 AM »
At what point will the bank decide to loan us the money to further expand?  I mean the whole point of borrowing money is to expand yet were in a catch 22 that a bank won't give us access to the needed funds yet if we are a small airline.

Will the company image be one of the factors that a bank may consider in loaning the money?   

Firejet

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 04:31:03 AM »
When i first started this game (it was more than a year ago, i took a long break), the IL62 was a death trap for airlines, it just bled money on fuel! It seems it has gotten better though, also as far as i can tell the types of seats actually matter now, which is fantastic, because i think back then i was the only idiot not flying high density seats (I fly alot and for moral reasons could not do it :) ).

Any other changes that i should be aware of since 1.5 years ago?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »
There are couple of threads in Announcements section that list all the changes and updates. May be worth reading those..

Titled "v.1.(xx) updates"... (xx is a different number for each thread)

Firejet

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 03:37:35 AM »
THanks,

I like the changes you made! It turned out to be even better than i expected.

Thanks

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.