Engines

Started by edobarto, November 16, 2009, 03:49:47 PM

edobarto

I do not know if this topic already exsists but...

I'm having trouble when I choose the engines of a new a/c. Even if the a/c commonality is very well explained (B737: 300/400/500 and 600/700/800/900) I'm still having problems in choosing the right engines, especially Pratt & Whitney engines.
4156 engines of A300 are common to the 4158 of A300-600R but not to the 4000 series in general. Would it be possible to list the "engine family" on the a/c page? The CFM56 engines are the same all over the fleet even if they're slightly different. The GE engines are quite common too but it's easy to understand when they do not fall under the same engine family.
Is it possible to explain here or add just some instruction on the a/c pages in order to avoid any problem with the P&W engines? :)

Sami

PW 41xx is considered a single series. Or was it whole PW 4xxx -range .. Cannot remember directly now.

But anyway, the exact variant does not matter, it's the same basic core engine.

edobarto

You right but if I use the PW engines for the B777 they're not common with the one used for the B747 or the MD11... nd the problem is that I discovered it only after I bought the a/c!:(((

Unbornio

Check the Fleet Commonality page first before buying the aircraft... It will say the engine type. Such as CF6 for example...

But really in the end, engine commonality is not that much of biggy, the aircraft itself is.
Beta Tester

powi

Hmm... looking the fleet commonality doesn't help much. I currently operate Saab 2000s with "Rolls-Royce AE-2100" engines. Those engines are listed under "Rolls-Royce AE series" at fleet commonality. If I would plan to buy ERJ-135s, for example, which have "Rolls-Royce AE-3007A" engines, I would presume that they are the same engine fleet group. Then I begin to wonder that one is a turboprop and one is a turbofan...

type45

actually I've some problem on PW......I can understand why PW4460 are not included, buy why PW4052, 4056 and 4060 are not in the same group? ;)

edobarto

Powi and Type45, you got straight to the point... That's what I mean!:) If you operate a fleet of a/c of different types you're getting into troubles if you do not have a good engine commonality at least!
Ubornio said that the biggest problem is the a/c commonality, not the engine, but in my opinion this is one thing that should be improved in this game: engines make up to 35-40% of the price of an a/c and they're one of major sources of expenses for an airlines... I thin that providing the "engine family" in the tech sheet of any a/c should not be a big problem and would avoid loss of money!:)