Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Moving schedule to other fleet group  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Tim

• Members
[-] Moving schedule to other fleet group
« on: October 01, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »
When I renewing fleet, it takes a lot of time to move schedule from one fleet group to another (I should edit every route myself), so, may be you allow moving schedules between fleet groups?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:32:12 PM by Sami »

Riger

• Former member
Re: Moving schedule to other fleet group
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 07:44:36 AM »
I like this idea very much.  Of course there will be an issue with possible conflicts regarding Turn Around times, Flight Times (Speeds) and Slots but one could include a move/copy validation process.

Best Regards
Richard

Offline Tim

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 07:50:58 AM »
Yes! And system should say us, for example, you can transfer fligts 001, 003 and 007, but not 005 because of slots. Do you want to transfer these 3 routes or edit route 005?

I'll try to get some examples:

I started with B732 and B722, then I've order new B734 - and I should transfer all old schedules manually. And later I want to order new B737NG - and I should modify all my routes manually again!
Same situation with longhaul routes, it's not so fast and easy to transfer DC10 to 767 and then to A350.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:30:12 PM by Tim »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 05:35:44 PM »
I believe this is already discussed in the past and it's a bit difficult to do allover, and especially on how to show the possible errors to the user if something doesn't add up.

I'll keep the thread open for the future.

Offline Tim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 06:03:45 PM »
I think that you can see what errors happens, am I right?
And when we're scheduling flights, system shows us errors, may be you can do it the same way? Of course, there will be some errors, but I really think that players left some time to minimize delays, so it wouldn't be a lot of troubles with it.

Now you have move schedule action, may be you just add some features to them:

1. Analyze all routes on selected plane, take the longest one.
2. Analyze user's fleet groups and establish which of them can fly this route and has planes with clean schedule.
3. Add dropdown menu to this page with option like "fleet group", showing available fleet groups.
4. After select it, system should dynamicly load all "suitable" aircrafts. (As I saw before, you know how to use AJAX :))
5. User selects one of them.
6. Do validation for every scheduled route and maintenance actions
  a. if everything is ok with selected a/c, then transfer all routes
  b. if there is some error, show it - for example, return to the previous page and say "flight 123 overload flight 456 on Saturday 10:05". For example, you can create temporary "virtual a/c" and schedule this routes one by one to this, of course, if it neccessary, system shoul automatically add turn-around time (like when you scheduling from A320 to B757), and then trying to add next flight, but if it overloads, then show error to player that he need to reschedule it manually.

In few weeks a lot of airlines in modern times get same problem - to reschedule flights from old planes to new B737NG, may be you can try to do something, please? :'(

PS Sorry my English, it's not my native. And this way (which I wrote) is useful for Rails (I'm Rails developer), and I think it would be useful for you system with some minor changes.

Offline highways1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:12:54 PM »
If the coding is not too difficult this would be a nice feature. At least for me I know that switching from 737 classics to NG is very tedious when you have 40 or 50 of them. If the turnaround times are the same this should not be too difficult. I certainly understand if you are switching groups with different turnaround times because the slot calculations would have to be redone.

Sigma

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 03:33:47 AM »
The problem is that almost always, with very rare exception, is the fleet group you're transferring to either, 1>  not a different speed (which affects arrival and therefore slot vacancy) or, 2> not a different turnaround time.

So there's almost always an exception to correct.  This makes any automated form that alerts you of exceptions almost the same as just doing it manually.

Trust me, I've given this a heck of a lot of thought (try converting over about 250 F28s each with 4-7 routes to F100s) but can never reach a conclusion that I feel would satisfactorily work.

Riger

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 06:10:35 AM »
Sigma, it's a good point you make, perhaps the solution will be a hybrid between some work at home (excel) and some help from Sami.

On the Sami side of the equation, the ability to export, in CSV format, all the route data from established routes, so in your case, 250x4 routes.
Also on Sami's side, the ability to import the same format from a player.
Of course there is a risk that the slots will not be available, but that simply makes the route unusable with a warning sign next to it (i.e. No Slot).  These will require manual edits.

On our side of the equation, manipulation of the data in excel/number/open office or whatever tickles your fancy.

Does this sound like a step in the right direction?

Regards

Richard

Offline Tim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 07:12:18 AM »
Of course, there will be some troubles with speed and turnarounds, but some a/c has same parametres, like 734 and 737NG (As I remember, NG has little bit more speed) - so, everything will be ok with them. And if turnaround times differents for 5 or 10 minutes, system should try to change it automatically - because player may get some time after flight to minimize delays.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »
Of course, there will be some troubles with speed and turnarounds, but some a/c has same parametres, like 734 and 737NG (As I remember, NG has little bit more speed) - so, everything will be ok with them. And if turnaround times differents for 5 or 10 minutes, system should try to change it automatically - because player may get some time after flight to minimize delays.

That is not possible to start automatically adjusting the departure and turnaround times if the flight times are different. Users have set them to certain values, for a reason perhaps, and the system cannot start guessing what's best for it really.

Offline powi

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »
How about just keep the current departure times when converting. Adjust turn-around times to match the previous departure time. If that's not possible (below min turnaound) show an error message and cancel. Then check that airports are open at arrival times and runway and range requirements fulfills, if not show an error message and cancel. Last check if maintenance fits in the previous place, if not remove maintenance, show an error message and continue.

Even this would be a huge help.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:15:56 AM by Powi »

Offline Tim

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 02:47:09 PM »
That is not possible to start automatically adjusting the departure and turnaround times if the flight times are different. Users have set them to certain values, for a reason perhaps, and the system cannot start guessing what's best for it really.
Why? The system just should change turn-around time to minimal possible (if you have 35 min turnaround now, and new a/c has 40 min, just add 5 minutes automatically), and then try to schedule this route to the a/c. Do same with all routes on this a/c. If everything is okay and flights not overload, then reschedule it, else => show error to user.

Offline Tim

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 04:31:44 PM »
Sami, what do you think about this feature? Players really need it! ::)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.