Seating Config

Started by ukatlantic, September 19, 2009, 05:16:02 PM

ukatlantic

Although I like the current seating config sytems, how about being able to specify seat pitch for each class so in economy you can select say 30 - 38" seat pitch (pitch is from the front of the back support of your seat to the back of the seat in front of you) and also the same for Business and economy also can we have an option of adding a 4th class - Premium Economy as most of the western world airline now have a premium economy seating system too?

powi

Ideas to improve current system:

Add a per pax per flight cost that is based on the seat type. This should include in-flight meals, lounges etc...
High density versions of each class should have minimal associated costs, but from standard they should rise significantly especially in business/first

New seat types when configuring aircraft

Y:
Hi-density as it is now. Should reflect something like Ryanair offers. Minimal costs
Standard short haul. Like current standard, something like major flag carriers offer for short haul Y. Some costs for free in-flight meals etc...
Standard long haul. Should seat almost as many people standard short haul (ie more than current premium) but seats should cost more (IFE etc) and costs per flight should be higher. To get excellent pax comfort less than max number of seats is required
Premium == standard C short haul

C:
Hi-density short haul == Standard Y short haul, ie premium economy, but more costs
Standard Short haul == current standard
Standard Long haul. Seats little less than current standard, but more than current premium. Seats should cost more (IFE etc) and costs per flight should be higher. To get excellent pax comfort less than max number of seats is required
Premium == standard first class

F:
Hi-density == standard short haul C, but more costs
Standard == current standard, high costs per flight
Premium == current premium, high costs per flight

Pax should pay significantly different amounts for different seat/service. Not all pax are wiling to travel at hi-density or premium if there are alternatives. I think that at the moment only hi-density and standard are useful choices, so this should improve it.

Riger

I think it is important that the seating/pax preferences should have a basic priority system.

What I mean is that if there is a need to travel, the majority of pax will travel on what is available, so a C pax will travel Y class if there is nothing else available.  AWS should reflect that basic priority.  If however there is C class available, that would be the pax preference and so on.

By the same measure, if the premium seats are not available, then the pax would take standard and so on. As soon as a service is offered with the pax preference, then that becomes their choice and selection.

Hope that made sense .... ??!!

Best Regards

Richard

edobarto

Taling about this issue, I would like to say that the coinfiguration fees are bloody high!!! When I'm editing the lay out of an a/c (it could be new or used) I think it's too high to pay about 1mln USD to reconfigure a single A300... What I mean is: if I'm simply adding/lowering some of the seats on the standard lay out, it would be cheaper to save those seats...
I mean

A300-600 has a standard layout of 252 sandard economy seats and 28 standard business seat. If I'm going to decrease the economy class seats and install new business and first class seats, I'M NOT GOING TO CHANGE ALL THOSE SEATS!!! So instead of paying 1,2 mln USD, I should pay something around 450k USD!

TommyC81

Quote from: Riger on October 17, 2009, 10:39:08 AM
I think it is important that the seating/pax preferences should have a basic priority system.

What I mean is that if there is a need to travel, the majority of pax will travel on what is available, so a C pax will travel Y class if there is nothing else available.  AWS should reflect that basic priority.  If however there is C class available, that would be the pax preference and so on.

By the same measure, if the premium seats are not available, then the pax would take standard and so on. As soon as a service is offered with the pax preference, then that becomes their choice and selection.

Hope that made sense .... ??!!

Best Regards

Richard

In the same way, my F70's have a seating config of 65Y + 4C, if no demand for C, let them be used by Y for Y pricing i.e. 69Y passengers out of which 4 are lucky ones  :)

edobarto

Another suggestion...
In real life airlines like British Airways and Virgin Airlines have already a four class setup of the cabin on their a/c: first class, business, economy plus and economy. Would it be possible to put the "fourth service class" (economy plus) on the layout of the a/c? In my opinion it would not be so difficult: just add a 4th slot in the "seat configuring" window for the economy plus...

Bye

Edo

NovemberCharlie

I would say the current system lacks two factors:
1. Three classes available. Today it is realistic to come across 4 class aircraft or at least three class, but two in Y. Maybe not even a rework needed on the pax distribution, just an optional selection of a few of the economy seats in a different seating class. So I can for example have a config with "HD" and standard Y, or standard and premium....

2. Premium seating seems to have little effect (at least not convincing)

JumboShrimp

Quote from: NovemberCharlie on January 17, 2016, 04:41:28 PM
2. Premium seating seems to have little effect (at least not convincing)

Definitely should be addressed

Also, this bug, I am assuming, has not yet been addressed:
https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,80278.0.html

On test server, some scenarios were found where inferior seating resulted in more passenger allocated while RI was low.