Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: The seating system  (Read 1016 times)

Offline TFC1

• Members
The seating system
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »
I've been snooping around on the net to find out what real airlines use as seat configurations in their aircraft. And judging by the number of seats they cram into their aircraft, I'd say that it's mostly the equivalent of AirwaySim's HD Y seating. Now as the new seating system has been implemented in the sim, I'd like to throw my 5 cents worth of opinions into the ring.

I do not feel that the current seating system is representative of what's actually going on in the real world. I cannot think of any airline who would put 228 seat into an A340-200, simply because it's not possible to make a profit with that (small) amount of seats. A config of 240 Y and 30 C is more realistic, possibly even denser than that. So that means that the default config from the manufacturer in the sim is somewhat off the mark. A config combining standard Y seats and premium C seats would be a better alternative.

Now the quality of seating offered on today's airlines, especially in the Economy section, is probably more of a cross between HD seats and Standard seats. Premium Economy is only offered for a few seats, and I do not see anybody offering luxury economy seats anywhere. So I propose that the luxury seats are done away with. I'd rather see a system which allows you to pick your seat pitch in sections of the aircraft, rather than having to pick one type of seats for the entire class. That would allow us to include premium Y seats on aircraft as an option for some of the passengers.

To show what I mean, I found the configuration of the South African Airways A340-600 at www.seatguru.com. It is configured with 42 seats to the equivalent of Premium business seats in the sim, and 291 economy seats. To get this config to fit in an AirwaySim A340-600, I ended up with 40 premium C and 288 HD economy seats. Not far off the real thing, but probably not what the passengers in the sim wants. I'd be hard pressed on the pricing side of things to fill up my Y seats and make a profit off them.

I feel that the focus of quality of seating versus pricing should be shifted back towards HD/standard seats in economy class, whilst the focus on the premier classes should be shifted even further towards premium in business class and luxury in first class.

Would there be a possibility of reworking the seating system, or is that a too daunting task? I, for one, would be happy if that was possible.  :)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: The seating system
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:15:01 PM »
I am already planning in introducing the seat pitch to user's control .. at some time.

However no detailed plans or schedules for any feature actually. At the moment I am just checking that everything is running OK in the current games and just thinking on some big pictures before actually making more detailed plans or any new features / changes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:18:11 PM by sami »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.