Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Seat Sales  (Read 2048 times)

aircanada

• Former member
Seat Sales
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:34:36 PM »
How about adding a seat sale feature where you could say a percentage of seats and a duration that price would last

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Seat Sales
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
Or perhaps a change to the pricing model a bit closer to reality where you can specify that "sell 10% of the Y class seats with $50, sell 60% with $80 and sell the rest with $150"  ..or something. However displaying that data to user at the end can be confusing.

Yb

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »
Or perhaps a change to the pricing model a bit closer to reality where you can specify that "sell 10% of the Y class seats with $50, sell 60% with $80 and sell the rest with $150"  ..or something. However displaying that data to user at the end can be confusing.

That would be great :) Since I work with the system and actually sell tickets, I could help with this.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 03:07:25 AM »
I know that there are like gazillliiion different price classes, from A to Z I think when that letter-coding is used. And would stick with ~7-10 different price classes perhaps in total. But at the moment I'd be mostly interested on how to make the user interface simple to user, and also how to present the route / seat sales / revenue data to the user (the route info page) ... In a way that it can be used without a manual.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:52:49 AM »
But at the moment I'd be mostly interested on how to make the user interface simple to user, and also how to present the route / seat sales / revenue data to the user (the route info page) ... In a way that it can be used without a manual.

Probably just add a "sales" page/section to the website. Where all sales are housed. Not sure you can get away without writing at least a partial manual  :P

Talentz

Yb

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
Well if I should explain the "real" system easily it is like this with Czech Airlines for example (I use them since their system is quite easy to understand):

OK 0430 - Classes: J, C, D, Y, B, H, T, L, Q, S, V, W, G, R

From the bottom to the top they are listed by price:

R - special class for airline / other airlines members (Z fares) - always on request

G - special low cost economy fare used in Click4Sky, very limited seating amount

W, V, S - disscounted economy fares (usualy called SSPECZ, VSSPECZ etc.), which are non-refundable and non changable (also not upgradable)

Q, L, T - partly refundable economy fares (QSKYCZ i.e., usualy for 50% of the price), which can not be changed but can be upgraded

H, B - economy restricted - changes for small amount, the same with refunds.

Y - economy non restricted

D, C, J - bussiness fares no restrictions, depends just on the free places.

Czech airlines do not offer First class service.

So as you can see the price system with Czech Airlines is quite easy to understand. The prices always go up (i. e. they would start on 100 Eur with W, then 120 Eur V, 140 Eur S, 160 Eur Q, 180 Eur l etc.) but with higher price you get better possibilities. The ticket with Y can be even five times the price of S ticket but some people choose it because they can change it anytime.
There is a ton things more to it, - advance purchase, minimum and maximum stay, blackout rules etc. But what I would propose is this:

Make the demand split into (as you said) several classes. You can name them lets say F (first), C (business full), D (business discounted), Y (economy unrestricted), H (economy restricted), T (economy leisure) and S (economy special) but do not show how much on each demant is. Give the player just F, C, Y amount like now. And let him choose this:

He will have a table with boxes to choose if and which tickets he will offer. If all or just S and H (low cost) or just C, Y and H (high cost but high service airline) or all of them (generaly every normal national airline today). He will then have to create the prices for each ticket. This would go well with what you said elsewhere that you prepare "different airline types" - so low cost can not offer all but will have fewer staf in route strategues department etc.

So in the end there will be an airline A which will be a "classical national airline" - the guy will create a route to Paris where he will choose that he will sell all the tickets (for example by a simple tick menu). Then he chooses the prices. A "low cost airline" will on the same route choose just the S tickets (special) and create just one price.

Is it clear? This way it would be the easiest if you want to make the system more close to real.

Yb

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 02:17:44 AM »
... so was this helpful in any way?

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »
After giving this some thought I am planning to introduce a "price profiles" concept. Think of it as an "seat configuration for routes" type of thing where you first create a profile and then assign it to desired routes.

Simply so that each route will still have the baseline prices for Y C F classes which you can set in AWS $'s at the route open / edit menu just like now. Let's say that you'd set Y class base price to $200. Then you can manage the price profiles and create a profile where you state that you want to sell 50% of the Y class seats at the baseline price, and 20% at -30% price ($200 -30%), and the rest 30% at -50%.

When opening the route you just select the desired price profile for this route and the discounted prices are counted in automatically based on the baseline price.

If you later wish to give special discounts you can just edit the price profile to adjust for example so that the "rest 30%" is sold at -80% discount instead. And the edit the affects ALL routes with this price profile. So in other words you can use a price profile in many routes at once like the seat configs for planes - as managing the prices and discounts for all routes separately is too big task. Or if you then just to edit a single route, just edit the baseline price and all the prices for all discount classes of that route are adjusted at the same time, but other routes with the same profile are left untouched.

And I also believe that you need to set a different price profile for each route leg separately (for example the outbound flight at midday has a different price profile than return flight during midnight).

And later on a similar profile based concept for onboard service will be added...

Or if you don't care to manage the price profiles a simple default profile will be always active.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:42:31 PM by sami »

Ffylip

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
I like it!

Phil

ban2

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:09:46 PM »
sounds great to me, i'm really enjoying how this sim is evolving.

past sims i have played seem to hit a brick wall and stop evolving till it gets really dull and methodical to play, airwaysim is getting better and better :)

thanks sami

Yb

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 06:37:53 AM »
After giving this some thought I am planning to introduce a "price profiles" concept. Think of it as an "seat configuration for routes" type of thing where you first create a profile and then assign it to desired routes.

Simply so that each route will still have the baseline prices for Y C F classes which you can set in AWS $'s at the route open / edit menu just like now. Let's say that you'd set Y class base price to $200. Then you can manage the price profiles and create a profile where you state that you want to sell 50% of the Y class seats at the baseline price, and 20% at -30% price ($200 -30%), and the rest 30% at -50%.

When opening the route you just select the desired price profile for this route and the discounted prices are counted in automatically based on the baseline price.

If you later wish to give special discounts you can just edit the price profile to adjust for example so that the "rest 30%" is sold at -80% discount instead. And the edit the affects ALL routes with this price profile. So in other words you can use a price profile in many routes at once like the seat configs for planes - as managing the prices and discounts for all routes separately is too big task. Or if you then just to edit a single route, just edit the baseline price and all the prices for all discount classes of that route are adjusted at the same time, but other routes with the same profile are left untouched.

And I also believe that you need to set a different price profile for each route leg separately (for example the outbound flight at midday has a different price profile than return flight during midnight).

And later on a similar profile based concept for onboard service will be added...

Or if you don't care to manage the price profiles a simple default profile will be always active.

That is generaly what it looks like in the real world. Just let me know what the "desired profile" means?

aircanada

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
sounds good to me, and then you could change the profile again after you want the sale to end

cwestah

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 07:13:50 PM »
sounds great! i've really missed that. another request is: when you're creating a new flight, it should be possible to see the prices you're allready operating on that route, or if the system could automatically set the (most expensive) price you already have on that route.

Offline ekaneti

• Members
Revenue Management and Fare Buckets
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 09:34:30 AM »
One reason the game is so easy for those operating large aircraft is that everyone one onboard pays the same fare. On a 200 seat 757 pax #1 pays the same fare as pax #200(assuming no C or F class).

I think that there should be three economy fares (no change to first class and business)
Y, B, K. and that there would be three fare buckets that you could manipulate say:

Y = $200 and 25%
B= $150 and 25%
K = $100 and 50%

Everything can be manipulated % and $. The above would be like a default

Demand would be broken down this way too. So a market with 200 daily pax would be something like Y= 25%, B=25% and K=50% or $200, $150 and $100. This way if you tried to set you fares at only $200 (only the Y bucket), the most pax you would get would be 50 (.25x200). But of course if you set the fare as K = 100% at $100, you would get the whole market (ie people willing to pay Y will pay K but people willing to pay K wont pay Y).

A small plane like a CRJ ( 50 seats) could get away with charging only the full Y fare until competition came along

An added bonus would be that in the future any player applying for a career at an airline's revenue management department would have a prior understanding of the concept  ;D

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »
If you later wish to give special discounts you can just edit the price profile to adjust for example so that the "rest 30%" is sold at -80% discount instead. And the edit the affects ALL routes with this price profile. So in other words you can use a price profile in many routes at once like the seat configs for planes - as managing the prices and discounts for all routes separately is too big task.

Or if you then just to edit a single route, just edit the baseline price and all the prices for all discount classes of that route are adjusted at the same time, but other routes with the same profile are left untouched.
If we are allowed to edit one route of a base profile, we should also be able to distinguish that profile from the rest. I wans't quite sure if this was already modeled in that (editing just 1 route would create a new profile?). But, if not, one way to do it could be to have base profiles, and then under those sub profiles, which are numbered to distinguish from the base profile, eg. baseProfile1, baseprofile2, anotherBaseProfile1... This could allow us to change all the parameters that are same, but keep the different ones unchanged.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13:47 AM »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.