v1.1: Converting aircraft orders to a new variant?

Started by Kontio, July 31, 2009, 09:16:12 AM

Kontio

There was a problem in the previous games that new aircraft became available for order at predetermined times so that we could be online waiting to place the first order on a popular model. In the new version some randomness has been introduced in the launch dates, if I have understood correctly. However, we still know what the evolution of an aircraft family will be like, for example everyone knows that there will eventually be ER versions of 767 models. We can, in effect, still predict the future.

Now, the new aircraft ordering system introduced in v1.1 will allow us to change the aircraft variant within those made on the production line after the order has been placed. When a new aircraft variant is introduced, will we be able to convert our existing order slots to that new variant? In practice, can we lease lots of 767-200s at some time before we anticipate the launch of the 767-200ER, thus securing the delivery slots, and then just convert our orders to the ER model. Even though the launch dates are randomized by a factor of months (?), the order backlogs for popular models may be several years. This would have a huge effect on game strategy so it would be nice if this was publicly addressed before the new games begin.

Sami

You cannot 'cheat' the system by first ordering 500 slots for the plane then-in-production knowing that a new model will come and then convert those orders to the newer model.

This was discussed at feature req's forum some time ago. I know it's not realistic but as we all do know what models are about to come I've decided it this way...  So if you ORDERED the plane before the new models was launched you cannot convert it to the new model after it has been launched (delivery date is irrelevant in that case). Or that was the design plan at least, gotta check once more that it works like that.

Here: https://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,9251.0.html

Kontio

This is very good. I remember it was discussed but I wanted to be sure you had implemented this feature in the new game. I should have searched the forum before asking.  :-[