Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: strange flight cancellations  (Read 746 times)

mukk

• Former member
strange flight cancellations
« on: June 06, 2009, 05:13:11 PM »
hi

i only started the game two days ago, so maybe i just missed out on something, but i find all that flight cancellations due to too short turnarounds a bit strange.
i mean, i only have a single plane, and this alone got two cancelled flights (actually 8 since it where a a-b-c-b-a flights) in only one week due to short turnaround times. what is really strange is that the cancelled flights are the first flights in the day, so there are no flights before them for 2hrs...  :-\
and the delay time for that flight in that week was zero (what is no wonder since it's the first flight)... this just doesn't make any sense to me (and yes, i have also extended turnaround times sceduled between the flights).
has anyone an idea what's going on here?

mukk

Sigma

• Former member
Re: strange flight cancellations
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »
It just happens.  Sometimes you get a bad week.  Sometimes really, really bad weeks.  The random numbers just don't work in your favor sometimes.

At least that's the official response from sami on the matter. 

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 05:33:24 PM »
On what time have you set turn around in flight schedule?

Denis

dG Airlines

mukk

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »
this was like the fourth time that flight was cancelled because of that reason i think in about two months, this is absolutely stupid. i mean, the chance that the flight is cancelled because of this should be flat out zero...

i just want to know how to avoid this in the future as far as possible, and i have at least an idea what's going on 'behind the scenes'.
it seems like that, if a flight get's cancelled, it always get's cancelled completely (all 2 or 4 flights), so i guess, that the system just takes the values for turnaround times of that flight as a basis for delays / cancellations.
so maybe upping the turnaround times even more will help...

ps.: shortest turnaround for the plane is 70 min, i have set it to 90 currently... shows about 17% chance of delays

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 05:40:08 PM »
Which airport are you having the trouble?

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 05:40:43 PM »
And what a/c are you using? Condition, age?

mukk

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 05:47:30 PM »

the plane is a tu-204; 6,8 yrs cond.: 96%, airport is washington(kdca).
does that matter? seemed to me that airport-size for example does not change the min turnaround time of a plane (in this game at least).

DenisG

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
Well, I am in the other game and hence don't have the maintenance costs in view. So I cannot say anything about that. Generally, I would assume an airport at its capacity limit (slots?) and assume pretty high maintenance costs for the TU-204 as well, as for most russian/soviet jetliners. Do you have other planes available? If, then try to allocate a B757 or so to that route for a month and observe if it makes a difference. Other TU-204s in the fleet with similar occurances? 90 minutes of turnaround leading to a 17%-chance of delay is in fact pretty awkward and uneconomical.

Denis

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »
Do you have more than minimum turn around at your hub airport? Ie. have you delayed the departure after the 'Can dep again at XX:XX'? If not, there's your answer.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »
Also please look at the companywide statistics, do not focus on a single flight or a single day... As the system cannot go that 'deep'

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.