Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Poor Swiss Domestic Passenger Numbers  (Read 1060 times)

Filippo

• Former member
Poor Swiss Domestic Passenger Numbers
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:58:58 AM »
Hello everybody,

I noticed that the passenger demand for swiss domestic traffic is extremely low.
here are some exsambles:

Zurich - Geneva is  240 pax per day according to the game.
IRL, swiss operates 11 flights with an 85 seater plane, thus giving 935 setas available.

the same thing can be applied for Zurich or Geneva to Lugano. Which both count 70 seats.
IRL, swiss operates4 flights a day with an 85 seater plane, thus giving 340 seats.

Also, we do not have to forget CrossAir, the swiss domestic operator who ceased operations with the collapse of SwissAir. It flew schedules similar to this one (I can tell because I conserve it's timetable)

There is evidence of 3 flights per day from Basel or Berne to Lugano every day with a 58 seater plane thus giving 174 seats, the game only registers 10/20 seats only!

Also, according to the  timetable, there were flights from Zurich and Geneva to Sion and St.Moritz with a 58 setaer plane each day. Once again, the computer only registers a portion of that. the same thing applies to Berne and Basle to St.Moritz each day with a 58 seater plane which the computer counts as non existent or very low!

Thank-you for reading
Bye

Kontio

• Former member
Re: Poor Swiss Domestic Passenger Numbers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:25:38 AM »
Is this thread what you were looking for?

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »
it says that I can't access it? ???

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 12:33:59 PM »
it says that I can't access it? ???
Yeah, no wonder, it's in the Beta Group forum (only the Beta testers can see it)  ::)

Here's the starting post of the thread (made by Sami). He has posted it on 1st of September 2008, so there might be some changes, but I believe that if there are, Sami will mention about them.

Quote from: Sami
If you find that some route has too small passenger demand, in your mind, then please read this topic to let you know how it can be improved

First - how the system works

- The system calculates the pax demand based on airport size, and traffic distribution (intl/domestic etc), and uses some of the route data and info about country's other airpots also.

- This method provides reasonable results all over the world but it cannot be accurate for every route.

- That's why the calculation sequence backs up to a route-pair database that has airport to airport route-pair demand information. This database includes some 90 000 different route pairs so far. For example pretty much every US domestic route is there.

- Also the calculation can use a country relation database, where we can set (if no route-pair stats available) how traffic between two countries is. For example US-Cuba could be set to "0.1" while USA-UK could be "2.0". The number is the traffic ratio between all traffic of these two countries.

How to submit more data

- If you spot that a demand between two airports is "wrong" then you can submit some of this route-pair data to us which improved the situation.

- But keep in mind that the focus is not to duplicate the real world passenger routes completely here. Also keep in mind the game year. In 1998 for example the overall passenger travel has been way smaller than in 2008.

- See the top of the demand info page, there you see a small text "Souce". It's either Stats or AWS. If it's based "stats" then we have it, do not submit anything for that route-pair.

- If the current demand that you see is within +/-30% of what do you think it should be, then it is just fine. As the demand display what you are seeing is not 100% accurate either - what is shown to players is an estimate of the true demand..

- If it's more than that ~30% off, then you can submit data to us. Please follow these guidelines:

- First preference is some REAL statistics from airport authorities, statistical bureaus, aviation administration etc. This overrides all others but is hard to find.

- Another method is to "guesstimate" the passenger travel on the route. This is based on the number of monthly seats all airlines offer on the route together. Then we assume a 70-75% load factor, and also take into account the year effect (2008->2005 as all game pax stats are from 2006/2005), and we can get a reasonably close demand figure.

- For example if airlines A and B fly the route, A with 250 seater plane and B with 300 seater plane. Each fly every day in a month. We would calculate as follows:   (250+300)*0.7*0.9  (where 0.7 is the load factor correction, and 0.9 is the pax amount correction from 2008 to 2005 levels to be the same as other stats). So result would be 346.5 pax per day on average and that's the number we want.

- Please make sure you submit the data in the following, and ONLY in the following format!

Code: [Select]
depICAO-arrICAO: paxPerDay

- So one item per line, airport icao and pax per day. Real example:

Code: [Select]
EFHK-EETN: 80.5
EFHK-ESSA: 555.1
and so on. Do not include the flights back from the airport, unless the demand is very different. Only one way.

- Send the data via forum PM to me - no other way.

- When submitting data make sure that you tell if it has been counted by you, or based on statistics. In all cases the source(s) must be mentioned.

- Any temporary changes in the 50 year history period like some economic recession affecting only one country or such cannot be modeled with the current system.

The future
In the future .. in the distant future .. the plan is to improve the demand calculation logic so that it does not look for airport to airport demand but rather city to city demand. For this we need a LOT of more information for all airports and cities around the world. For this model the demand will be more influenced what players do. But this is somewhere later on then.

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »
Yeah, no wonder, it's in the Beta Group forum (only the Beta testers can see it)  ::)

Sorry about that...  :-[ I just linked the first thread with the information.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
Sorry about that...  :-[ I just linked the first thread with the information.
I would most likely have missed it myself if I was to find that thread and link it to others... That part of forum is so seldomly used anymore... Though, it might come active for a while for possible beta test for v 1.1  8)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.