Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Need Veteran player help  (Read 2094 times)

Williamsfilms

• Former member
Need Veteran player help
« on: May 23, 2009, 04:57:39 PM »
So I thought my new airline was doing pretty good, but recently I have been losing a great deal of money without any explination. My Commonality is good, only 3 types of aircraft, 2 belonging to the same company, I just cut down on marketing, my LF havnt changed at all (still in the mid 90's), my prices have been raised, gas prices are going down, yet for some reason I still lose almost 500,000 dollars for no apparent reason. Is this a bug?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:02:10 PM by Williamsfilms »

Kontio

• Former member
Re: Need Veteran player help
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:05:47 PM »
Hard to tell from the data you are showing and the game is letting me see. I would not consider your fleet commonality that good. You have only one 757, are you sure it is making you money when you also consider fleet commonality costs? The fact that 737 and 757 are both Boeing does not factor into this, AFAIK.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:07:24 PM »
Hard to tell from Yearly data....

But, it looks to me like Maintenance is killing you.

You're spending as much on Maintenance as you are on Leases.  That's crazy.  I spend about 1/4th as much on Maintenance as I do on Leases.

I try to keep my maintenance costs between 5-10% of my Revenues (and 10% is high, only good for when you need lots of mismatched planes to expand).  Yours are a whopping 25% of your revenues.

Looks to me like you've spent as much on maintenance already in 2000 as you did in 1999, but have only earned HALF the money so far.   So you've done something to create a massive increase in your maintenance costs this year over last (could be C-Check timing, hard to say with looking at just one screen).

So you either have too many plane-types, too many engine-types (not as much of a factor), OR you're buying planes that have big maintenance checks due and you're spending lots of money on doing maintenance checks as soon as you buy the plane.

I'm betting it's the Plane-Types.  You say 3, but are you talking about 1, and 1, and 1?  Or 50 of one, 25 of another, and 3 of another? (I can't see your fleet as I'm not playing ATB)  It makes a big difference.  If you've only got 5 planes and they're all different, you're going to have some pretty massive fixed costs that you won't be able to overcome.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:10:33 PM by Sigma »

Williamsfilms

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 05:08:54 PM »
Hard to tell from the data you are showing and the game is letting me see. I would not consider your fleet commonality that good. You have only one 757, are you sure it is making you money when you also consider fleet commonality costs? The fact that 737 and 757 are both Boeing does not factor into this, AFAIK.

I have seen other airlines with way worse commonality than me do far better. My 757 is my largest profit producer.

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »
I have seen other airlines with way worse commonality than me do far better. My 757 is my largest profit producer.

Even when you consider the fleet commonality costs? They need to be deducted from the profit shown in "My aircraft".

Williamsfilms

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 05:12:05 PM »
Hard to tell from Yearly data....

But, it looks to me like Maintenance is killing you.

You're spending as much on Maintenance as you are on Leases.  That's crazy.  I spend about 1/4th as much on Maintenance as I do on Leases.

I try to keep my maintenance costs between 5-10% of my Revenues (and 10% is high, only good for when you need lots of mismatched planes to expand).  Yours are a whopping 25% of your revenues.

Looks to me like you've spent as much on maintenance already in 2000 as you did in 1999, but have only earned HALF the money so far.   So you've done something to create a massive increase in your maintenance costs this year over last (could be C-Check timing, hard to say with looking at just one screen).

So you either have too many plane-types, too many engine-types (not as much of a factor), OR you're buying planes that have big maintenance checks due and you're spending lots of money on doing maintenance checks as soon as you buy the plane.

As far as I know I havenít even had a C check this year, how do you control Maintenance spending? I have all my A and B checks on different days? Could that be the cause? I only have 3 types of aircraft. Iíve had airlines with 5 different types and they have lasted longer? I donít know what is wrong.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »

But how large are their fleets?

Every plane type has very large fixed costs.  If you've got 50 planes you can afford some variation if your fleet.  If you've only got 5, you can't.  Because that first 757 costs $1M (or whatever) a month just to own in fixed costs.  The 2nd one only costs an extra $50K, and the 3rd an extra $25K (those aren't exact figures, just illustrating the differences).

And you can ignore that Weekly Profit number.  It doesn't factor in Overhead costs like the high fixed maintenance costs for a plane type, it's only accounting for the variable maintenance cost on that single 757, not the overhead maintenance costs for that type.   It factors in the labor cost for flying THAT plane, but doesn't factor in the labor costs of any additional people you had to hire to operate the route it flies, etc, etc, etc.   If you sum up all your Weekly Profits on your Route Manager page, it looks like you're making money.  But you're not.  Because your overhead is killing you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:16:04 PM by Sigma »

Williamsfilms

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
That looks to be the cause o my probloms, the cost to have a 757 in commonality is 909 870 USD, when the 757 is only producing 400,000, thats werid I didnt know this. So is it best that I cancel my lease on the 757?

Williamsfilms

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »
Even if i wanted to terminate the lease, it would cost me 8 million, I dont have that kind of money, I think that is kinda dumb that it costs money to get rid of a plane. I have nothign else to do, I dont have enough money to buy more 757's and I cant get rid of the one I have.

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 05:19:56 PM »
That looks to be the cause o my probloms, the cost to have a 757 in commonality is 909 870 USD, when the 757 is only producing 400,000, thats werid I didnt know this. So is it best that I cancel my lease on the 757?

That's the thing that's so confusing in this game, it's really hard to tell whether a fleet group (consisting of only one aircraft in your case) is making you money. But what to do? If you feel that you have found the best routes for you 757 and it's still losing money then there's really nothing else you can do. Of course you can get more 757s if you can afford that and you can think of routes for them, that way you can make them profitable as a fleet group.

Williamsfilms

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
That's the thing that's so confusing in this game, it's really hard to tell whether a fleet group (consisting of only one aircraft in your case) is making you money. But what to do? If you feel that you have found the best routes for you 757 and it's still losing money then there's really nothing else you can do. Of course you can get more 757s if you can afford that and you can think of routes for them, that way you can make them profitable as a fleet group.

I dont know what to do really, I dont have enough money to buy more 757's and the one I have is currently killing my profits. And the the only thing I can think of is to go Bankrupt. And try this all over again, I seem to do this allot, at least I lean each time. :/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:24:21 PM by Williamsfilms »

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »

I dont know what to do really, I dont have enough money to buy more 757's and the one I have is currently killing my profits. And the the only thing I can think of is to go Bankrupt. :/

You could try scheduling the 757 so that it's flying also at night, unless you already are. This can usually be accomplished by finding a suitable redeye flight where you can depart around midnight and arrive early in the morning so that you can depart around 5 or so. Other flights during the day, of course, and one day a week you have to leave room for the A check. That way you are utilizing the aircraft to it's full potential. The commonality costs and lease remain the same no matter how much you fly the aircraft.

Williamsfilms

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 05:34:19 PM »
That still wont make much of a difrence, I can try that and see, but that trick is finding a route, Brazil isnt that busy of a place. It has to be a short route to. Thanks for tha advice though, hopefully that will help alittle bit until I can get my order of 2 ERJ's in which will give me 3 of that aircraft type.

Williamsfilms

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 05:43:17 PM »
Ya thats not gonna work, theres only about 2 hours at night that my plane is not flying, I guess Im just going to have to ride it out and hope this dosnt sink me before I can either get rid of it, or buy another one. There isnt many 757's on the market however.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 06:45:40 PM »

* 5 planes, 3 aircraft and engine types. VERY bad.

* The utilization of the aircraft is not good, ie. schedules are too loose. They are flying two roundtrips a day, you can easily fit one more. The turnaround times are very long... 1h10' for a B737 outstation turnaround and 1h30' at home base. And could even try to fly at the night too to see if that works.. Even some income is better than sitting the plane at base..

Williamsfilms

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 07:02:48 PM »
* 5 planes, 3 aircraft and engine types. VERY bad.

* The utilization of the aircraft is not good, ie. schedules are too loose. They are flying two roundtrips a day, you can easily fit one more. The turnaround times are very long... 1h10' for a B737 outstation turnaround and 1h30' at home base. And could even try to fly at the night too to see if that works.. Even some income is better than sitting the plane at base..

*Well I can really only get whats on the used market, I dont have much of a choice.

*I try to keep the risk of delays down to 1%, are you saying to make the turn around less and risk more delays?

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
50 mins for 737 is good enough and perhaps 60mins at home base. Or was the min. time 35mins?

At least I run DC-9's and Caravelles in the 1970s game with 50min turnarounds and it isn't an issue. Aiming for the "no delay at all" possibilities is rather waste of time as flights are bound to have some delays often. But make sure the cancellations don't happen too often.

edit.. actually it is 40mins.. so make it 55 & 60 for example?

Williamsfilms

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 08:01:18 PM »
Thanks Sami! I will deff take your advice.

Williamsfilms

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 11:31:47 PM »
Does your CEO Salary affect anything? (Image/LF) or something. Just checking before I put it to 0.

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 01:34:05 AM »
No, a lot of players put it to $0.

Personally, I don't bother.  It's not enough to do anything.  But if you're counting pennies, it doesn't hurt to take it to $0.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.