Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Russian Planes?  (Read 1903 times)

rickda

• Former member
Russian Planes?
« on: May 17, 2009, 10:51:37 PM »
Can anyone make Russian planes really work for them If ever I have tired and put them on a route with high demand I simply cannot make enough to cover the monthly maintenence cost.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:56:11 PM by rickda »

Offline Seattle

• Members
Re: Russian Planes?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 01:06:22 AM »
Tu-154. Great plane. I makework great!  :)
Founder of the Star Alliance!

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:45:50 AM »
You can make them work on uncontested routes.  You won't get the margins you will with Western ones, but you can throw more planes out there sooner (cheaper and less queues) to make up for the lack of margin.

But, as soon as that route becomes heavily contested you can't win.  A competitor flying Western planes can charge a cheaper rate and still make a profit.  You're going to be using 25-50% more fuel and usually a good 25% more labor costs as well.  You'll take a loss earlier in the "race to the bottom" and end up with a bigger weekly loss as you go down the rates.  You're only hope is you've got lots of cash to burn, because you'll be burning through it a lot faster than the competition.

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:02:31 AM »
As Sigma stated, uncontested, they do a lot.  They are great for getting metal in the air, and getting to the route first.  Rent them as a bridge until your better aircraft is available, and you can build up your route image, and babysit slots in tightly contested airports.

Also, this is about the worst scenario for Soviet metal, and going into the worst part of the scenario.

As for Seattle...   Don't mock his Tu-154.  He wiped the floor with me using them in Beta.  It was bloody.

rickda

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:39:07 AM »
I am certainly not mocking anyone for using them it is just that I cannot get them to work for me. Is the cost to operate in terms of maintenence and passenger demand for them better is a Soviet based airline?

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 05:13:10 PM »
Oh, I am not saying you did.  I will say that *I* did.  It ended poorly for me.

rickda

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 05:58:54 PM »
I am sure you can make them work it is just that I do not know how to do it!!!

Offline chapelhillnews

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:52:10 AM »
I have had great success with the TU 134 and TU 154. The cost to buy or lease them is so low that I feel like it makes up for the higher Fuel Cost. I own 50 TU 134s right now. I also like the fact that I can actually get them right away. It's one reason for Big Apple being able to jump out into a lead in passengers. I am planning on replacing them with 737s as they come available.

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 03:01:29 AM »

As for Seattle...   Don't mock his Tu-154.  He wiped the floor with me using them in Beta.  It was bloody.

Why thank you.  ;D

I have alot of experience with them and as said earlier, (well, actually, at least to me) the higher fuel consumption is made up with

A) Ability to get like 10 (?) a month, with typically no more than 20-30 order ahead of you
B) Ability to grow exponentially, while you competition is frozen
C) Ability to eventually replace them (if you want) with something more fuel efficient when the lines are smaller
D) The fact that its only like 24 million  ;D

If you have a Air Travel Boom account, look up Aquablue Airlines, I have 70 of those great planes.

Offline Dasha

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 10:08:24 AM »
Why thank you.  ;D

I have alot of experience with them and as said earlier, (well, actually, at least to me) the higher fuel consumption is made up with

A) Ability to get like 10 (?) a month, with typically no more than 20-30 order ahead of you
B) Ability to grow exponentially, while you competition is frozen
C) Ability to eventually replace them (if you want) with something more fuel efficient when the lines are smaller
D) The fact that its only like 24 million  ;D

If you have a Air Travel Boom account, look up Aquablue Airlines, I have 70 of those great planes.

You forgot something...

The fact that it is THE most Beautiful plane ever to be build.

That must count for something.. :)
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 02:01:58 AM »
Totally correct! People must of liked as more than 1000 have been made  ;D

Offline Teemu

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 06:58:21 AM »
Tu-154. Great plane. I makework great!  :)

Put one on your HEL route on Jet Age one and I'll just put B722 on the route ;)

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 09:34:22 PM »
Put one on your HEL route on Jet Age one and I'll just put B722 on the route ;)
and Id do fine  ;)

jest

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 02:14:41 PM »
I have 40 of them and i am not complaining. With all this talk, i think i will order 20 more .....

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 03:47:06 PM »
see you in bankruptcy court

Offline Kazari

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »
I had the Tu-114 and it was great when fuel was low -- it has a great range and a GREAT turnaround time for such a large plane. But as fuel has gotten higher, it's gotten ugly.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »
Im still marketing a bunch in this game (keeping rating over 90) and have a fleet mostly consisting of Fokker 27s.  I hope to make it through this period and be able to purchase planes. 

There will be a few airlines who will go out because their fleets of DC8s and 707s (god forbid these Soviet planes) will soon find themselves dumping planes on the market hoping to get some money in order to survive this period.

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 09:49:06 PM »
Im still marketing a bunch in this game (keeping rating over 90) and have a fleet mostly consisting of Fokker 27s.  I hope to make it through this period and be able to purchase planes. 

There will be a few airlines who will go out because their fleets of DC8s and 707s (god forbid these Soviet planes) will soon find themselves dumping planes on the market hoping to get some money in order to survive this period.
Not really.... depends on how you run them and the amount of competition.... I had an order for 25 Tu-154B-2's.... there great planes, but after reviewing what would happen with the fuel crisis.... and the fact that Tu-154s are simply to big for my airline, I made my decision.... They are good planes and you cant say that they'll BK you... Look at my Air Travel Boom airline ;)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 10:00:19 PM »
fuel cost in atb is much less than what it is going to be in jet age.

Offline Seattle

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 03:51:37 AM »
Well, even at higher gas prices Id be doing fine  :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.