Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: LHR - What next?  (Read 2154 times)

Filippo

• Former member
LHR - What next?
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »
The slot situation at LHR is tremendous. Will it just continue like this?
At current levels, it is impossible to operate daily flights to that airport. What about the airlines based there that ordered 80+ aircrafts, what will they do?
I am luckily not part of the problem as I do not opertae to LHR, but I am intersted to know the future of the people who do.

P.S: Does the game include LHR's third runway? When will that open?

Offline Dan380

• Members
Re: LHR - What next?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »
Does the game include LHR's third runway? When will that open?

Not before 2011. Nothing gets built quickly here, and they haven't even started yet IRL.  :laugh:

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 11:51:26 AM »
Where they are going to fit that anyway there..?  As I believe both north and southside of LHR are quite crowded, northside is full of hotels and everything at least. Are there any drawn plans of it available yet, just for fun would like to see it.

Offline JonesyUK

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:56:49 AM »

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »
I don't even want to think about the time and fuel spent taxiing from terminals to that runway... And it's also quite short comparing to others.

olympic17111992

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
The same situation applies to LOS ANGELES !!
International airways have about 200 aircraft on order and there are not any slots!!!

toyotaboy95

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:59:49 PM »
Not before 2011. Nothing gets built quickly here, and they haven't even started yet IRL.  :laugh:
the runway isn't confirmed yet...+ Greenpeace is blocking the expansion of LHR anyways

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »
Every major airport is in the same boat.

KDFW is completely full (save for 0100 to 0400), I'm lucky to control 55% of the slots, but I've got another 150 planes on order.

Not every new plane is added to the existing fleet.  With as long as games are, to maintain a good image status every plane you own must be replaced at least once throughout the game.   So a carrier with 200 planes now is going to have to look at replacing every one of those in the '80s.  That means ordering replacements now.

With as long as you wait for planes, you have to buy them with the assumption that you'll force competition out by the time they arrive and expand your slots.  The gamble here is that you better have an alternate game plan if this doesn't happen.  This is the danger of leasing planes.  If you bought outright and odn't need them, you can just sell them.  But get yourself stuck in a lease contract with planes you can't use and you found a recipe for quick bankruptcy.

With newer, larger planes you can put MANY more passengers through the same number of slots.  You might have 4 flights a day with a single A320 to Rome, for example, but you can actually replace that plane with THREE additional, larger planes on routes with much higher margins if you know what you're doing.  You buy a 747SP to fly that route instead, it then only has to fly once a day and can afford another flight somewhere else too.  You're now making twice as much money, and still have 2 slots that you freed up by cutting the A320 flights to Rome, you can put 2 747s on long-range flights to use those 2 slots you have left.

Offline JonesyUK

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 01:17:33 PM »
I don't even want to think about the time and fuel spent taxiing from terminals to that runway... And it's also quite short comparing to others.

It's long enought for 747's apparently. I guess terminal 6 will go somewhere near the runway.

toyotaboy95

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
With newer, larger planes you can put MANY more passengers through the same number of slots.  You might have 4 flights a day with a single A320 to Rome, for example, but you can actually replace that plane with THREE additional, larger planes on routes with much higher margins if you know what you're doing.  You buy a 747SP to fly that route instead, it then only has to fly once a day and can afford another flight somewhere else too.  You're now making twice as much money, and still have 2 slots that you freed up by cutting the A320 flights to Rome, you can put 2 747s on long-range flights to use those 2 slots you have left.
You might not fill up the entire 747 in that case. Biz travellers are looking at schedules (and then price).

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 01:59:43 AM »
You might not fill up the entire 747 in that case. Biz travellers are looking at schedules (and then price).

I've noticed this to a VERY slight degree, but certainly nothing even remotely close to offseting the fact that you've expanded your capacity by a factor of 4.  At best it's little more than 5% impact to LF.  I fly lots of routes with ~250 pax demand with a 250-seat plane once a day and average in the low-mid-90s LF, whereas when I do that with regionals flying 3-4 times a day I get in the high-90s. 

Offline Pai

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 09:46:40 AM »
The same situation applies to LOS ANGELES !!
International airways have about 200 aircraft on order and there are not any slots!!!
So you guys can have some benefits as I was forced to lease out my A320s and B738s :(
Lunar Airways

Budjet

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 03:36:11 PM »
I think the third runway idea is being dropped anyway, and they are planning to build a new airport in the Thames Estuary on the Isle Of Sheppey in Kent, which should have 4 Runways with room to expand, not sure if Heathrow will be closing or if Sheppey will be an alternative, plans say construction begins 2011.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 03:40:02 PM by Jules »

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 03:56:52 PM »
I like the name Sheppey! :laugh:

In 10 or so years, we will fly to "London Sheppey" :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Dan380

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 04:56:22 PM »
I think the third runway idea is being dropped anyway, and they are planning to build a new airport in the Thames Estuary on the Isle Of Sheppey in Kent, which should have 4 Runways with room to expand, not sure if Heathrow will be closing or if Sheppey will be an alternative, plans say construction begins 2011.

Haha! In Boris Johnson's dreams maybe!

No no, it's not been passed, they've asked for approval from all sorts of governmental figures and got none. As it stands at the moment the third runway is going ahead, while Boris Island International Airport remains on the drawing board, unlikely to go anywhere.

Gary777

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »
Hi guys

Well i have recently joined the game, yesterday infact and i am focusing my network on Manchester-Heathrow Daily, I have managed to aquire slots for a daily operation and all flights are doing well. The slot situation is a nightmare though! :D

Gary777

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.