Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: First aircraft customer - wait 9 years!  (Read 1104 times)

flygresor

• Former member
First aircraft customer - wait 9 years!
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:22:12 AM »
Airbus A340-600 was launched yesterday. I just bought 20 aircrafts, and became the first customer.

Delivery time
The aircraft will be delivered to you as follows:
#1: 02 July 2006
Please note that our aircraft is not yet certified for operations. We expect certification to be gained in July 2002.

So the aircraft will be certifed in 2002, but I want receive any aircraft until 2006. Sorry, but this ordering system REALLY REALLY SUCKS!

Offline Big Ern

• Members
Re: First aircraft customer - wait 9 years!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:26:04 AM »
Well it's all the other 330/340's that are in  the same production line...

http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Aircraft/Production/View/8/

flygresor

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:43:20 AM »
Yes, i know, but it doesn't work so in reallity, if a aircraft is certified one day, it can be delivered to airlines next day.

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:06:24 AM »
Yes, i know, but it doesn't work so in reallity, if a aircraft is certified one day, it can be delivered to airlines next day.

Does it? Anyway, there have been vague rumours that the aircraft ordering system might be slightly tuned in the coming versions of the game.  ::)

Offline Big Ern

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:32:37 AM »
I won't believe it until I see it...  ;)

flyer123

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »

Well, all A330/340 versions are produced on the same line as the A340-600 so existing orders will come first. The problem is that there are too many order in the line.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 01:00:55 PM »
Does it? Anyway, there have been vague rumours that the aircraft ordering system might be slightly tuned in the coming versions of the game. 

"Slightly". (but still working on it.. all these other small things are keeping me wayy too busy at the moment)

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »

You're right and you're wrong.

You're right that it can be delivered to customers the next day.  Theoretically.  If there were no other orders to produce.

But in reality, there's already other lines in the production queue ahead of you.  The A340-600 doesn't get its own production line, it's produced right along with all the other A330/340s.  So if there's a few hundred -300s in the queue ahead, sorry, you're not getting your -600 for a while.

In real-life, the A330/340 has a production queue of about 600 aircraft.  It produces the family at a rate of 8.5/month, let's round up and say 100 a year.  So if you were to buy a new Airbus 330/340 today you could wait as long as 6 years to have it arrive.  This is of course barring any changes in their production schedule, efficiency increases, or new production facilities.

There's also the exception for the launch customer.  The launch customer can elect, and usually does, to purchase the first few production units of a model that are used for certification or manufacturing/logistics/flight testing, etc.  These units are inserted into the queue, basically they cut in line, otherwise Airbus would have to wait years to certify its own plane while it waited to get build, so delivery can be taken at roughly around the time of certification.  But that's only a very finite number of planes.

Virgin Atlantic placed their orders for A340-600s in 2002 as the launch customer -- they got 4 very quickly, as soon as it was certified, the rest trickle in as they get through the production queue.  Of a total order of 20 they've only received 14 in the past 7 years.  It'll be at least a decade between the time they placed their order until they received it all.  And they were the launch customer, and there's only a handful of A340s left to produce (only orders for 20 more to make, that's it), but they're still taking a while due to length of the A330 queue.

The driving factory in the difference between reality and this game in this particular circumstance, is that, by the time a manufacturer is rolling out a new variant of a model, they're usually doing it because the queue of the previous model was drying up.  And often times even buyers of the older variant can 'upgrade' to the new one to expedite the lowering of that queue and phase in the newer version.  That doesn't happen here.  A new model can come out even while the existing one has a decade-long production queue.  That would be unlikely to happen in real-life.  After certification of the -500/-600 variants of the A340 for example, only a relative handful of -300s were produced, because the queue was relatively small.  If it did happen where there was such a long queue, you can bet that they would alter production to suit -- manufacturers like long queues, but not too long -- it scares away customers and makes production of new variants difficult.  Airbus, for example, was set to give production of 330/340 a hefty bump to help clear out the queues for A350 production, but the downturn in the economy killed that plan.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:49:27 PM by Sigma »

Andy1984

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »
I've had a similar problem wiv the Tupolev 334-100. When i ordered the aircraft, the model was not yet in production but was to gain certification in March 1999. I placed the order in Feb 1999 for 5 of these aircraft, i was the launch customer and no other Tupolev's of a similar type were in production, so i was first in the queue. The first delivery was due for March 20th 1999. Well March 20th came along, yet no aircraft! So i checked the delivery schedule and..........March 15th 2008. What the hell!!! 9 more years to gain certification! The project began in 1995! I took out a loan to get these aircraft and now im never going to see the light of day of them! I WANT MY MONEY BACK, INCLUDING INTEREST and MY LOAN ERASING!!!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.