Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: fleet comonatlity cost doubles oddly.  (Read 1039 times)

Jackal

• Former member
fleet comonatlity cost doubles oddly.
« on: May 05, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »
so, i have 11 DCH6 twin otters, and i noted it was costing 66,000 a month on the total fixed operating cost on the commonality. The yesterday i got two DC9s and 1 boeing 727, and now i am paying double per month on my twin otters. 143,000 per month now.

i don't get the reasoning behind this and now this will put my company in the hole very quickly.

other prices have gone up as well.

any hint on why i now have to pay so much would help greatly.

thanks.

Offline vectorforfood

• Members
Re: fleet comonatlity cost doubles oddly.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:37:17 PM »
It's because you removed the fleet commonality I suppose, now there is less room to stock and store your DHC6 parts, less exclusivity from manufacturers etc.

this is just a guess, but how it works real world I imagine.

Thanks for the info also, I am in the infancy of a DHC6 only airline for a couple of years (3 planes/1 on order) will eventually need to add longer haul aircraft.

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »
I think other players have seen this before, I haven't noticed but I haven't looked at the right time. A major part of fleet commonality costs is administration and training, it sounds strange that these costs for DHC6 should rise significantly with the introduction of the 727. Maybe maintenance costs could be affected in this situation, but I'm not really sure.

Did you notice whether the change was mainly because of maintenance or other costs?

Offline vectorforfood

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
Things have been working so well on my DHC6 only airline small routes so far (All quite profitable) and I can service airports with as little passenger demand as 18 per day and make great profits!

The only issue I have with it so far is the range, I reach Montreal from Halifax but only with an intermediate stop, so far this has been working out for me.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 03:29:53 PM »
To answer the OP, I have an idea (but am not too sure)

Imagine that all of your service technicians must be able to work on every aircraft.  They have to have the training, tools, and manuals to do so.

You only needed a few when you were flying one type of smaller aircraft.  As soon as you pick up a 727, all of your techs (including the many needed when you get this plane) must be certified on all aircraft.  Essentially, you may have tripled the number of total techs needed and all of them have to be able to fix De Hav and Boeing airplanes.

Offline JonesyUK

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 04:54:55 PM »
Cabin Crew/Pilot training? I think the way the game works all of your flight crew are trained for all of your planes. I might be wrong though.

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »
Yes. Sounds about right.

~ Fleet commonality works roughly like a tax bracket. As you move up, down, add or subtract, your costs increase/decrease.

So you start w/ 11 small aicraft as your only fleet. Excellent fleet common!!

But now, you add a DC-9.  So one, you add another fleet type. That in itself adds 30k (for example). Ok, well you added a "medium" class aircraft. So because its not in the same group, (small class, medium class, large class ect) that adds an extra 15k for not having the same class of aircraft.

But wait, wait no.. you added another fleet type. So + 30k again. Well... its another medium class so that's 15k extra as well. Oh wait.. you already have 1 medium class of aircraft.. thats not good fleet common... thats going to be an extra 10k for having two medium class of aircraft.

So walaa! 100k more a month in fleet common costs on your Otters for adding two, different fleet types and classes to your fleet. Taadaa!

Kinda make sense now?

Now, if your costs double.. which aircraft will feel the most pain by doubling fleet common costs.. an Otter or 747?

So in your case, doubling your expenses have a more profound effect then someone who flies bigger aircraft. Thus, its same fleet common break down for everyone, just some people feel it more then others  ;)

If you plan to operate small aircraft, stick with small aircraft. It helps, cost wise were your $$$ doesnt go as far as running a big airline.

Hope this helps

Talentz

Jackal

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 05:36:48 AM »
hehe. wow, its been a year and a half and my airline has really changed since then. only have 5 otters now and 16 DHC-7s, hehe.

works out ok tho.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.