» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Prices  (Read 974 times)

Filippo

• Former member
Prices
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »
Hello,

I was looking at prices of real airlines compared to the prices that the computer suggest here on the game. I noticed that the prices in real world are much higher. I collected a few examples.

Tokyo Haneda (HND) - Sapporo (CTS), with "ANA" costs 683 US Dollars in economy class in real life, whilst only 146 US Dollars in economy class according to the game.

New York (JFK) - London Heathrow (LHR), with "British Airways" costs 626 US Dollars in economy class in real life, whilst 430 US Dollars in economy Class according to the game.

Why are the prices in the game different from the ones in real life? The game is fairer as you pay according to the distance travelled whilst in real life the prices of these two trips are almost the same even though one is longhaul and the other is domestic.

Why are then the prices lower in the game compared to Real life?

Also, if you have the monopoly on a route, can't you charge much higher? I tried doing that but the load factor was zero.
How come?

Thank-you

ngaira

• Former member
Re: Prices
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:36:55 PM »
I notice that too. Tried to increase teh price (5% only) and my oh my.....I almost lost the airline....

castelino009

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:11:16 PM »
this is 2009 and game is in 1996 still, you are looking current prices and comparing it to more than a decade ago??????? :o :o

toyotaboy95

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:42:43 AM »
this is 2009 and game is in 1996 still, you are looking current prices and comparing it to more than a decade ago??????? :o :o
but it still shouldn't vary THAT much, i mean $683 and $143. inflation wont make the price go up $500~ and price wars will make it go back down anyways

iwa

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 04:25:03 AM »
I'm just wondering where do you get the 683USD figure for the Tokyo-Sapporo flight?  I know if I buy online, that route usually costs about 300USD one way, sometimes with promotion going as low as 100USD.

I think the pricing structure for airline is rather complicated, as in each flight there exists many pricing levels.  Travel agents get big discounts for block purchases.  The price for connecting passengers are much lower.  Some seats are freebie to frequent flyers.  It's rather hard to know their 'average' price.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:01:22 PM »
Firstly you simply cannot know what the true average ticket price for some real-world airline is. The pricing is black magic... And you'd need to take into account the inflation too.

Also the ticket prices are probably lower as the price model is at moment tuned so that you can cater the current game expenses and get some profit. But if the price of some route now would be $500 instaead of $200 the game would be just way too easy. All the expenses have been tried to model as close to reality as possible but there are still many many expenses and payments missing. In reality the profit margins are very thin but modeling of all expenses is not really possible and thus the incomes have been also scaled in the same proportion.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.