Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Swine Flu + air travel  (Read 2636 times)

blumage

• Former member
Re: Swine Flu + air travel
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 06:27:14 PM »
I think the media got bored about talking the economic downturn, so they made it sound as if it's a huge pandemic so they can talk on and on about it for a bit. At first, the media here in Italy was saying that it would be a huge pandemic, that we are all going to die ect, don't eat pigs, run to the countryside and so on.

Then they interviewed a doctors which just said to stay calm and that it's not that bad after all (meaning that it won't be huge as the one in 1918-19 or the SARS)

Big Ern is correct though, wash your hands, pray more often, don't go to Mexico.
Well in Italy the govt will also say that there's no crisis while everybody around the country is loosing their jobs.

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
are you at high school? I'm at secondary school in the british system. Year 8 exactly

Sophmore in high school. I live in the Chicago area. 6 cases in my county already

blumage

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »
Sophmore in high school. I live in the Chicago area. 6 cases in my county already
Where are you going Ross??

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 08:35:55 PM »
Where are you going Ross??

Nicaragua. in July tho. I got my passport application in today.

Offline Dan380

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 08:55:14 PM »
Did you guys hear that in Egypt they're going to slaughter approx. 250.000 pigs because of the "swine flu"... Pure crazy.

/BE

lol yup. No reported cases in there country, relatively low air travel, and they decide to take the most serious action outside of Mexico! Crazy!

But then again, this is the same country that believed a spam text message was instantly killing anyone who read it!  ???

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 09:12:37 PM »
who when why what????? A spam text???

ufoken

• Former member
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 12:15:29 PM »
I was flying with QF LHR->HKG with 744, there was only 100 in Y, only about 40% got off at HKG.

gman22

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 12:06:19 PM »
The hype over swine flu is pathetic...only 1 confirmed person (from the last time i was updated) has died from it outside mexico. The main reason people are dying in mexico is because they are effectively a third world country...they dont have very good sanitation. New Zealand has had 90 reported cases of swine flu out of 4 million (although it is the beginning of winter), yet noone is worried...infact the students that came back from mexico the day after the outbreak are now being sent back to school because they are recovering. This has been played out, as someone said, a doomsday event. Im just interested to see if they are going to ban all imports from mexico out of fear...oh thats right george bush isnt president any longer.

Offline Gaius Marius

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 03:37:10 AM »
You can't. That may have something to do with the fact that it seems this particular influenza strand isn't even contagious to pigs. It is a new combination that includes genes from several strains, some of them from influenza viruses from pigs. That is how influenza viruses work, they develop new genetic combinations and mutations all the time. That is the reason you don't develop immunity to influenza once you have had it and why new flu shots have to be developed every year. In fact, if I recall correctly, the "normal" influenza epidemics that occur every year (and kill quite a lot of people) are usually evolved from influenza viruses from birds.

Actually, it seems swine CAN contract this flu from humans.  They just culled a herd here in Canada where the swine were infected by a worker who had travelled to Mexico and caught it there. I think 1700 pigs were affected.  However, you are correct, you CANNOT get swine flu from eating pork.  Also, humans don't get it from infected pigs.  The best prevention against this and ALL "pandemics" is ... WASH YOUR HANDS.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

Offline Brockster

• Members
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2009, 03:42:51 AM »
Actually, it seems swine CAN contract this flu from humans.  They just culled a herd here in Canada where the swine were infected by a worker who had travelled to Mexico and caught it there. I think 1700 pigs were affected.  However, you are correct, you CANNOT get swine flu from eating pork.  Also, humans don't get it from infected pigs.  The best prevention against this and ALL "pandemics" is ... WASH YOUR HANDS.

And don't listen to Joe Biden.  ::)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.