Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Swine Flu + air travel  (Read 2635 times)

Monk Xion

• Former member
Swine Flu + air travel
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:19:44 AM »
Sorry if this is off topic but...

Does anyone know if the swine flu has had the same impact on airtravel that SARS had?

It's been bugging me.... The middle school in my town closing (I live in Batavia,IL- 2+ cases in my area) made me think of this.

blumage

• Former member
Re: Swine Flu + air travel
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:36:20 AM »
Well SARS was really devastating for Cathay Pacific and the Hong Kong Economy along with the other Asian countries'. Singapore and CAthay's flight were flying almost empty at those times even though their fares were discounted heavily. It will really  depend on how the spread of the flu develops. As long as it's an isolated case in just Mexico then I guess that airlines can be fine. As far as I know Asian Airports have been monitoring passengers for any sign of flu. In Major intl. Airports Temperature scanners are working 24/7. And any sign of sickness will be checked rigorously. I usually get a little bit hot after a 12-14 hrs travel and as always I get stopped at the health checkpoint while the staff will check my temp with a thermometer and so on.In my opinion Mexico will be the most hit. Travel to Mexico has already dropped. While no sign of drop for the US at the moment. It's also a bad timing, a cocktail of economic slowdown and a pandemic desiese will only make thigns harder for the already strugling airlines.

Offline Dan380

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 07:00:25 AM »
France are putting a petition to the EU to ban flights to from mexico to Europe. Not sure whether this will get passed or not.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:32:26 AM »
France are putting a petition to the EU to ban flights to from mexico to Europe. Not sure whether this will get passed or not.
I believe they don't have the authority to do it... Single countries can ban their flights to/from Mexico, but EU can't ban all flights... At least, this is what the newspapers here said...

samomuransky

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:35:45 PM »
They can.

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 01:58:54 PM »
Some holiday charter flights from the UK to Mexico have been cancelled as the Government have said not to travel there unless absolutely necessary. Not sure about schedules flights (BA etc)

samomuransky

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »
In July I'm travelling to US with CSA, so I hope it will be OK :)

RisteMakedonski

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:58:30 PM »
Yes, some Air France flight crews refused to board Mexico bound airplanes.

samomuransky

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 06:08:09 AM »
By the way. Standard flu kill 100 people daily just in US. This killed about 160 in more than week. So why are people so scared of it?

Offline Brockster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 07:13:01 AM »
Because the media has control over the public.  :-\

As much as it is serious, it's not a "OMFG we're all gonna die" situation which some people think it is. There's ALWAYS new viruses discovered. And apparently, according to WHO, they're a third of the way to finishing the vaccine.

The best thing to do is wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. Do it frequently. Cough on your arm/elbow instead of at someone (wouldn't recommend doing that anyways...  :D).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:15:59 AM by Brockster »

samomuransky

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 07:27:30 AM »
But not all media spread it. For example, here in Slovakia, most of radios and TVs (and even goverment) says there is no reason to panic. Only newspapers doing scandal from it (because "Killer found just 60 km from borders" looks nice on first page). So I don't know why people believe to "it's bad" voices...

Offline Big Ern

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 08:29:01 AM »
Just keep washing your hands and you should be fine. It's a variation of influenza a and the media is creating a mass hysteria.

The only ones I'm worried about are children and the elderly, if it keeps spreading. We're now only one step from the highest level of "warning" (can't remember a correct word...). If we get 6 / 6  it'll affect airports and air travel a bit more.

I myself am not that concerned that it'll affect air travel so drastically.

/BE

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »
I think the media got bored about talking the economic downturn, so they made it sound as if it's a huge pandemic so they can talk on and on about it for a bit. At first, the media here in Italy was saying that it would be a huge pandemic, that we are all going to die ect, don't eat pigs, run to the countryside and so on.

Then they interviewed a doctors which just said to stay calm and that it's not that bad after all (meaning that it won't be huge as the one in 1918-19 or the SARS)

Big Ern is correct though, wash your hands, pray more often, don't go to Mexico.

Offline Brockster

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 11:24:49 AM »
They also say that you can't get the virus by eating pork.

FOX News always turns anything they can into a global crisis/end of the world type thing.  Too bad I keep watching them.  :laugh:

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 11:39:14 AM »
Especially when they talk about the doomsday clock or tell that the Aztecs predicted that the world will end in 2012 or some sort.

Kontio

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 11:45:53 AM »
They also say that you can't get the virus by eating pork.

You can't. That may have something to do with the fact that it seems this particular influenza strand isn't even contagious to pigs. It is a new combination that includes genes from several strains, some of them from influenza viruses from pigs. That is how influenza viruses work, they develop new genetic combinations and mutations all the time. That is the reason you don't develop immunity to influenza once you have had it and why new flu shots have to be developed every year. In fact, if I recall correctly, the "normal" influenza epidemics that occur every year (and kill quite a lot of people) are usually evolved from influenza viruses from birds.

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 03:19:13 PM »
By the way. Standard flu kill 100 people daily just in US. This killed about 160 in more than week. So why are people so scared of it?

yes, I know that too. My high school was shut down today because the found a "probable case".

oh well... now I got time to get my passport =)

Filippo

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 03:33:22 PM »
are you at high school? I'm at secondary school in the british system. Year 8 exactly

Offline Big Ern

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 04:23:55 PM »
You can't. That may have something to do with the fact that it seems this particular influenza strand isn't even contagious to pigs. It is a new combination that includes genes from several strains, some of them from influenza viruses from pigs. That is how influenza viruses work, they develop new genetic combinations and mutations all the time. That is the reason you don't develop immunity to influenza once you have had it and why new flu shots have to be developed every year. In fact, if I recall correctly, the "normal" influenza epidemics that occur every year (and kill quite a lot of people) are usually evolved from influenza viruses from birds.

Did you guys hear that in Egypt they're going to slaughter approx. 250.000 pigs because of the "swine flu"... Pure crazy.

/BE

petcalledros

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 05:26:07 PM »
last week when i can from the UK to Cyprus, it said that "Any people from flights from Mexico should get expected before passing passport control"

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.