Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: It gets better...  (Read 647 times)

Offline Daveos

• Members
It gets better...
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:22:33 PM »
After reading the forums regularly, it seems only fair to balance some of the negative points with some positive news for those (like myself) who are worried about falling behind.

In game 3, I joined in the year 2000 and was based at MUC.  This was a terribly under-served airport at the time, as airlines start going pop once heavy maintenance and competition kick in.  I managed to create a fleet of all A320-based aircraft, with perfect engine commonality, and came 55th in the game with an airline value in excess of $2 billion.  Whilst 55th may not sound a brilliant acheivement; with a 5 year head start for the others, things can be acheived later on in the game.

I've become pretty obsessed with the game since then :)

Offline NorgeFly

• Members
Re: It gets better...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:07:44 AM »
You did very well, congratulations! :)

I think how you approach the game and how you measure your own success makes a huge difference to enjoyment of the game. In game 3 I too started late and was based in Trondheim... yes... not exactly a major airport. But I managed to build up a pretty nice little airline with a fleet of 30+ Q400s in the end. Never made me a massive amount of money but it was profitable enough to pay for itself until I got greedy in the last year of the game and tried to expand and ruined it with CRJ900s. But I enjoyed building the airline and fine tuning it!

Guess my point is... there is no major panic to become the biggest early in the game like so many guys on here strive for. You can have a huge amount of fun running something low key and under the radar if not appearing in the "Top 3" box on the stats page doesn't bother you :)

Offline Sigma

• Members
Re: It gets better...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:24:39 AM »
I started out really late in Game #3, the game was 70% complete when I joined, and I still managed to control 2/3rds of all passenger traffic through Seattle-Tacoma by the end.  I didn't get the exact planes I wanted, the queues for new planes were measured in the years (even longer than the game would run), but I still forced the existing large and very experienced companies that were in SEA into bankruptcy.

I don't know what my final rankings were, but less than 2 years from the start, I was already in the Top 20 in just about everything.  I doubt I finished that high though, as I didn't pay much attention the last few months because all my planes were due for replacement and I didn't feel like taking the time it takes to manually remove and replace dozens of aircraft on routes.

You've got to really know how to "game the game" to stay solidly in the Top 10 or so.  But it's not even remotely difficult to be successful in this game, as long as you don't set your sights on #1 your first few games.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.