Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Used aircraft market  (Read 12779 times)

Offline Gaius Marius

• Members
Re: Used aircraft market
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
Sami:

I really like the improvements.  I actually haven't had any trouble getting the a/c I want (if I drop some of my standards just a little -the're used a/c after all).

I LOVE the ability to preset the wait times for each type of a/c.

Keep up the great work - this game is evolving to be my favourite one.

GM
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

Offline TFC1

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »
I think the new system is great. No mega-airlines after 4 months, because everyone with a bit of sense waits it out to get the "right" aircraft. It adds a realistic dimension to the game, which in my opinion, reflects real airlines. Order new and wait if you want to make sure your fleet is set to one standard, or browse the second-hand market with patience until the right aircraft comes along, or accept the cost of having a mixed fleet by ordering whatever you find.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 06:51:39 PM »
Also .. Wait for the second step of the new system.

When airlines start to go bust, all their aircraft go into this aircraft market too at some point. So the market will evolve in such way that it will eventually only contain planes that players have ordered and the 'world' rotates around them, like in reality..

Budjet

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 08:44:55 PM »
Lol, on topic, this IS bad, for my first aircraft, because it was the only aircraft left of size I was looking for, I had to buy an Ilyushin 86!! And now I have a frigging B727-200adv, I wouldn't be suprised if both of my planes fell out of the sky one day being from bad backgrounds.

Theoden

• Former member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 02:26:01 AM »
Sitting at the computer hitting refresh waiting for used A/C to appear is neither fun nor realistic.  Airlines in the US in 1990s did not operate Russian airplanes, from my recollection.    This ultra scarcity gives a huge advantage to those people who play the game non stop since they don't need to work/eat/bath.   It needs to be tweaked.

pharmy

• Former member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 03:19:34 AM »
So Sami the initial flood of 767s and A340s is over? right? from now on ordering new planes is probably the best way to go?

Mindboys

• Former member
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 09:35:40 AM »
3 Boeing(s) left !! in uesd market

and no Airbus anymore...!

Woww  :o

charger27

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »
The game restart... whatever, no big deal.
But - by the time I found out about it (20:00) in the game day - there is no aircraft availability for what I want.

So I can either take planes I don't want, or sit and wait for a week or two.
Maybe should have flooded the market with extra planes for the restart.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
Sorry, but why exactly the market should have just the exact plane you are looking for?

In jet age there are 377 unsold planes in used market, and in the other game there are 379 available aircraft.

charger27

• Former member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 03:00:35 PM »
Sorry, but why exactly the market should have just the exact plane you are looking for?
Did you check the Boeing's Sami?
All that's left is either old junk, small junk, or planes that are too expensive to buy with an initial loan!!!!

737's, 757's, even 767-200's... are all gone.

Sure, I'd love to pick up a 767-200ER... but you can't afford it.
Those that were around when you restarted it, picked it clean.

North America west that are just starting our day were left with the scraps.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »
I wouldn't see that as a big surprise that 737 & 757 are the most wanted planes. ;)

charger27

• Former member
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 03:08:37 PM »
I wouldn't see that as a big surprise that 737 & 757 are the most wanted planes. ;)
... and were available when I first started this game.
I was #16 to sign up.

Now that we have been surprised by a restart, all those in Europe and east coast North America had the advantage.

I guess I will just sit for a week or two... nice.

Jps

• Former member
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »
Consider this: When everyone (again) seems to prefer Boeings, what are the odds for you to get them from now on when you want to get another aircraft? Because of the fleet commonality, if oyu first picked up a boeing, you should stick with it. But, again, since everyone else has done the same, it's very likely you won't get another boeing when you want. Therefore, consider yourselves lucky when you didn't get the boeing, and pivk McDonnell-Douglas (I presume also Airbuses are out), and you'll have a nice jet with nice fuel economy, and you are most likely to get new DCs whenever you need, thus it's easier for you to expand and get more planes than those who picked the Boeings.
Also, if you get a good start, you can quickly afford a brand new Boeing, whilst those, who did get Boeing in the start, either have very few Boeings (planes) or have many different planes, thus high fleet commonality costs (maintenance, staff, training...).

Well, this is a bit simplified, but that's how t goes at least for some of the players  :laugh:

charger27

• Former member
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 03:28:13 PM »
Consider this: When everyone (again) seems to prefer Boeings, what are the odds for you to get them from now on when you want to get another aircraft? Because of the fleet commonality, if oyu first picked up a boeing, you should stick with it. But, again, since everyone else has done the same, it's very likely you won't get another boeing when you want. Therefore, consider yourselves lucky when you didn't get the boeing, and pivk McDonnell-Douglas (I presume also Airbuses are out), and you'll have a nice jet with nice fuel economy, and you are most likely to get new DCs whenever you need, thus it's easier for you to expand and get more planes than those who picked the Boeings.
Also, if you get a good start, you can quickly afford a brand new Boeing, whilst those, who did get Boeing in the start, either have very few Boeings (planes) or have many different planes, thus high fleet commonality costs (maintenance, staff, training...).
Well, this is a bit simplified, but that's how t goes at least for some of the players  :laugh:
Boeing is where it is at.
McDonnell Douglas goes away before long, and Airbus are overpriced.

I start with 757's, which are the perfect size and price - then get into 767's.
For me the 767's are the key, because of the various sizes and ranges that are available... you can cover the globe and not wreck your commonality.

Offline Idioteque

• Members
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 03:43:49 PM »
Boeing is where it is at.
McDonnell Douglas goes away before long, and Airbus are overpriced.

I start with 757's, which are the perfect size and price - then get into 767's.
For me the 767's are the key, because of the various sizes and ranges that are available... you can cover the globe and not wreck your commonality.

Depends on what you are comparing with really... prices A300s should be compared with B767s and not B757s, both being wide bodies whilst the latter is a narrow body. Imho Airbus are cheaper! I noticed some A310s as well at the restart but I guess it's a little too rich for my blood and it's all gone... I prefer to start with smaller aircraft hence I got 2 F50s with plenty of money to spare. If not for the restrictions I could have gotten 4 in total but that's a story for another day  ;D
FalconAir - Your Window To The World

NicholasB

• Former member
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 04:45:16 PM »
Well I am New. My first game. I have had difficulty finding the right aircraft too, however, i enjoy the fact that i have to re-think my stratergy and tatics all the time. A really good mental challenge, which i would say is very much related to the real world.

No complaints here!

BTI

• Former member
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
I still didn't get my airplanes.

In the total and utter absense of even af half decent used airplane after the reset I had to go on a wait it out for new airplanes. Hope it wonøt kill me before the get here.

Seriously - I agree with the point being made in this thread - I think an initial flood of good airplanes would even the playing field a bit and make the first turns of the game more fun all those who aren't lucky enough to get one of the good ones. I'm not saying unlimited B737'es and A32x'es - but just enough that every player have the chance to get at at least one of the popular models and not having to either choose air taxis, digups from the aircraft graveyard or sit it out for new planes.

jagalubnan

• Former member
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »

North America west that are just starting our day were left with the scraps.

*Echo

I wasn't able to get online until 3 PM pst and I was forced to lease Yak42s, however, now that things have picked up I'm doing much better. Not as well as I was doing pre-restart cuz now my competitor has the advantage of being on when the restart happened (lives in Europe) but I'm pleased at the way everything's going. I don't like how I'm spending my entire time on AWS refreshing the aircraft page but whatever, that's ok.

Offline Dan380

• Members
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 07:51:31 PM »
I was in Europe and by the time I had got on online there were no good aircraft. I was lucky though, I decided not to lease the bad aircraft and wait it out, and just as I was about to log off Sami decided to restock the used market and I picked up an A320.

Sod's law I guess. I bet a good number of people had to settle with crap aircraft last time, but happened to be online at the right time for the restart. Of course, they're not posting here, they're just being silently smug!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:59:00 PM by Dan380 »

Monk Xion

• Former member
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »
Sami -

Market refreshed on random days, right?

I'm asking cause I'm looking for a stinking MD-80, dc-9 , 737 or anything like that.

DHC-7s don't cut it for routes from Palm Beach - Northeast.

Just stating my frustration right now. I'm not totally mad... but just a little frustrated.

RK
CEO PalmStar Xpress

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.