Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [ok] Impact on company image due to force majeure  (Read 131 times)

Offline fark24

• Members
[ok] Impact on company image due to force majeure
« on: September 12, 2016, 09:28:01 AM »
Just had a country-wide general strike in GW # 2 and I had over 10k cancellations due to "force majeure". No problem with the immediate economic effects of the random event. But I have issue with the fact that those cancellations dealt a hit to my company image (and, therefore, airline score) which will take months to rebuild.

Can it be resolved that "force majeure" cancellations (such as nation-wide general strikes, severe weather, volcanoes, etc.) not reduce the company image of airlines?

A force majeure is something the player has no control over and no rational person would hold a specific airline accountable for such things. In fact, accountability for such events are often written out of the contracts of carriage on airline tickets.

Even from a pure game play perspective, there is no sane reason why an airline's long-term reputation should be affected rare events beyond a player's control.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:49:58 AM by Sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Impact on company image due to force majeure
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
The CI effect is intentional. But it is VERY much smaller compared to "normal" cancellations and the CI effect from those.

Offline schro

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »
The CI effect is intentional. But it is VERY much smaller compared to "normal" cancellations and the CI effect from those.

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with that and mention that this bugs me (ha. hence a bug report reply).

For the 1-2 day cancellations, I usually see a 1-2 point drop from 100 CI, which really isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things, but it does take months for it to go back to 100. For the longer term events that happen over a period of weeks and cause delays, a 5-10CI drop is not unheard of over the course of that time. Those CI drops are absolutely game breaking in my mind mostly due to the recovery time it takes to get from 90 to 100CI (over 1 game year). It's not fair to have spent so much advertising money and configuring schedules with minimal delay to work up to the 100CI just to have it whacked for a significant period of time. For those at or below 90CI, it's not a big deal as it recovers fairly quickly.

Therefore, if there is to be no change to the whack that happens as a result of force majure, then at least the recovery should be accelerated, especially for those that got whacked from 100.

Offline fark24

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 02:38:25 PM »

Good to know that there was some attention paid to this (I though it may have been an oversight) and the effect on company image has been somewhat mitigated.

That said, I'll echo schro. High company images take a long time to recover and the effect is not balanced. For instance, if there is a route between Chicago and Frankfurt with 2 airlines (one USA based and other German based) and there is a negative force majeure in the USA, the USA-based airline is going to take a huge image hit. The German-based airline will take a relatively minor hit, recover quicker, and have an advantage on the route for many weeks to come. Whereas a positive force majeure in one country (such as a railway strike) is going to benefit both parties equally on the route.

I'll also note that these force majeure image hits could have a huge impact on the final game score and the top score achievement. I can only imagine the frustration of participating in a game world for over a year, getting a top 3 airline score, and then having it disappear at the very end because a random event causes an image drop that takes 30+ points away from their final score.

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
It's harsh, it's unfair, but it's realistic : when a volcano prevents planes from flying, people forget about air companies and use other ways of travelling instead. The real world is unfair.

Offline fark24

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 04:17:44 PM »
It's harsh, it's unfair, but it's realistic : when a volcano prevents planes from flying, people forget about air companies and use other ways of travelling instead. The real world is unfair.

I believe you are missing the point. The report does not concern the economic issues associated with force majeure but the long-term image effects on airlines domiciled in an affected country.

Per my previous post, if a volcano interrupts travel between Chicago and Frankfurt, the general public isn't going to blame a specific airline for the disruption. The traveling public may blame the 'airlines' in general but wouldn't have a reason to feel more negatively towards a particular airline (say, United vs. Lufthansa) for months.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 04:56:35 PM »

They don't forget about air travel as an option for over a year and it does not impact their opinion of a particular company's air travel services for a year (which is what CI represents).

Heck, the public has already forgotten about Delta "the on time machine that doesn't cancel flights but instead delays them for 20 hours when the left engine's pack goes inop and refuses to rebook you because they don't want to uncheck the bags until the flight cancels or they delay til the next day*" having a week long IT meltdown just a month ago. Their CI is already back to 100, but in this game, that's a 1+ year recovery.

*That's my most recent experience with the #ontimemachine

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 10:49:54 AM »
Adjusted a bit

Offline fark24

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 03:44:54 AM »
Adjusted a bit

Great! Thank you for taking a look into this and concluding that an adjustment was justified.

Will look to see how future force majeure events impact company image.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.