Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Flight cancelled, slot kept, slot shifts  (Read 293 times)

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
Flight cancelled, slot kept, slot shifts
« on: June 30, 2016, 12:25:23 AM »
Title says it all.  Slot was at 1135, after flight is cancelled, slot shifts to 1140.

This happens occasionally at slot constrained airports.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Flight cancelled, slot kept, slot shifts
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »
Can't really investigate this since I would have needed to know what exact slot it was originally (= which game and which route).

But even at the slot restricted airports there is some legroom in the slot times. If you have 30 slots an hour it does not mean that they have to be equally spread out to each 5 min period.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:05:00 AM »
Sometimes it is just more convenient when transitioning to new fleet types to delete the old route, keep the slots, then create the new route.

This just happens way too often in the slot constrained airports that when I come back to use the slot, it is no longer there at its original time, but it shifts.

Another issue is that slot that's kept (owned with a star) is a lot more restrictive, has a lot less of an ability to be reused at other times - and unlike public slots, we don't know during which other times it can be used, except trying 12 different times.

As a possible solution, I would get rid of the stars altogether, and display the slots properly.

While I am not sure if this will solve the original problem, I think this inflexibility of owned slot could be eliminated.  The way to do it, IMO, is to treat (and display) owned slots as if they were public slots.  No star next to a slot at any given time.  For the player, they would seemingly go back to the public pool (spread out over the times it could be used at as fractions of slot), for other players, that slot would not be visible as available.

Instead of the star, under the grid of slot and times (in 5 minute / 1 hour page), there could be 2 horizontal summary lines:
- 1st summary line would show total of slots in the entire hour (players slots would be included).  This would be the equivalent of the fixed / enhanced single line in 24 hour display
- 2nd summary line would show how many slots the player owns during that hour.  For the purposes of re-use, that all that matters, that there is some slot available during that hour, it does not matter which 5 minute block it is available at.

Another possible enhancement would be (after properly displaying each single line in 24 hour slot page to include player owned slots), a possible enhancement would be to expand the hour on the same page by clicking on it.  Right now it goes to another page.  So the 24 hour page would be one single slot page (to rule them all).

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 02:47:18 PM »
For the purpose of route editor, any owned slots are considered (from technical point of view) to be just any available slots. So the route editor does not separate them if it is actually a free slot or a pre-owned slot.

Online schro

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 03:07:42 PM »
For the purpose of route editor, any owned slots are considered (from technical point of view) to be just any available slots. So the route editor does not separate them if it is actually a free slot or a pre-owned slot.

If that's the case, then why do the *'s appear on the hourly view for the 5 minute slot where the cancelled route was originally assigned? It seems that the information is there to allow a route to be recreated using the previous timeslot.

Though, from playing in a few slot restricted airports and managing this sort of thing, it's fairly rare for you to be unable to open a route using the same time as one that was just closed.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 08:03:55 PM »
If that's the case, then why do the *'s appear on the hourly view for the 5 minute slot where the cancelled route was originally assigned? It seems that the information is there to allow a route to be recreated using the previous timeslot.

I think it would be more useful for player to see what choices exist, rather than a single * on a single 5 minute window.

Though, from playing in a few slot restricted airports and managing this sort of thing, it's fairly rare for you to be unable to open a route using the same time as one that was just closed.

I have to amend my bug report:  I have not seen an 1:1 instance of slot cancelled and then not being there trying to immediately claim it back.

The way it happened (on multiple occasions) was:  Suppose I have 3 owned slots, at :25, :35, :45.

Now suppose I try to re-claim them, the order seems to matter.  While claiming :45 and :25, the allocation of :35 may get depleted and when finally getting to :35, it may no longer be there, only :45 is left.

Given the amendment above, this may not really worth Sami's time to track this one down...  The slots work remarkably well, and some small anomalies are tolerable.

Online schro

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 01:13:16 AM »
I would suggest only doing one set of slot cancellations per hour when rescheduling. Once you have 2 slots free up in an hour, they can go into a blender like you've seen. If you're only messing with 1 set per hour at a time, you'll always** get it back.

**Not guaranteed, however, the likelihood is high barring any sami-randomness.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.