Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Newbie, how?  (Read 438 times)

Offline SirMark

• Members
Newbie, how?
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:55:41 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this game, this is my first world. I have 2 DC-6's and 1 DC-7 operational. Most routes about 90% sold seats a flight. I make a decent profit, but not enough to take on the "big guys" with already 13 planes in their fleet.

I read as much as possible on forums and the Wiki, but i'm just wondering if there are any tips you could give me on how to expand my company faster. Other then the fact that i just don't have enough experience. I just ordered my fourth plane, but it's not even close to the amount of planes some competitors have flying around.

Much appreciated!

Greets,
Mark

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Newbie, how?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 11:05:49 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this game, this is my first world. I have 2 DC-6's and 1 DC-7 operational.

Right off, it was just completely unnecessary to go to 2 fleets when the market is still completely flooded with aircraft.  Especially, since these 2 types very much overlap as far as the job they can do.

Most routes about 90% sold seats a flight. I make a decent profit, but not enough to take on the "big guys" with already 13 planes in their fleet.

With the initial cash, you should have been able to get to perhaps 5-6 DC-6s including slots (depending on how expensive the slots are at your airport.

From there, you just grow from your profits.  If the routes you are flying are vastly underserved, your LFs are very high, you can consider rising your prices a bit, at least until heavy competition arrives on your routes.

I read as much as possible on forums and the Wiki, but i'm just wondering if there are any tips you could give me on how to expand my company faster. Other then the fact that i just don't have enough experience. I just ordered my fourth plane, but it's not even close to the amount of planes some competitors have flying around.

There are a lot of little things that help marginally, but they all combined, it add up.  Flying during good hours, keeping the aircraft in the air, carrying pax, earning money as much as possible, not going to unnecessary new fleet types, flying on routes that don't have a lot of competition etc...

Offline schro

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:33:43 PM »
90% loads means it's time to bump pricing up

Offline SirMark

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:50:57 PM »
Thanks for this guys, stupidly enough i didnīt realise that 2 different types of airplanes come with twice the cost. Something to keep an eye on the next time. As well as the homebase, that was a bad choice. Amsterdam is full of competition and the slots are very expensive. Another lesson learned.

The problem with Amsterdam is that a slot for a flight that i want to perform 7 days a week costs around 200K. So if i want 4 of those flights on my schedule for one aircraft, the slots only are costing me about 800K, and then i'd still have to add the downpayment on the lease for my aircraft. I think we've just found the bottleneck of my not-so-rapid expansion ;)

At this moment iīm making 150K - 180K profit a week with my 3 planes, with a total profit this year of 600K. Is that acceptable or pretty low?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:07:11 AM by SirMark »

Online Andre090904

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 01:28:49 AM »
Well, 3 aircrafts is next to nothing, so you can't expect much.

I remember that I had around 2.000.000$ profit per game week after around 1-2 years game time (and that's still not much really). But then again, I am based at a rather small airport in Greece with around 5.000.000 pax a year. There were sufficent underserved routes to quickly expand, slots were cheap, and I grabbed tons of dirt cheap Viscounts which helped a lot. In comparison: Slots for 1 daily flight cost like 20.000$. That's nothing in comparison with 800.000$.

So yes, your problem is your base: High slot costs, heavy competition. You may be better off starting again elsewhere where you can experience a better expansion. Think of secondary airports which are not very common. Things like Alicante, Prague, Budapest, Bordeaux, Stuttgart, Belfast, Bergamo, Corfu, etc. Just naming European airports as I am not very familiar with airports elsewhere.

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 07:41:01 AM »
And for the very first flights you set up, aim for the low-hanging fruit. Short lines with a lot of demand, and not much opponents yet. Soon, those lines will be overcrowded and not so impressive in terms of profit, but for a few months, they'll make you an initial profit essential to grow on other lines.

Other than that, I agree with others. Big airports are not for beginners. My first two games(I play GW3, usually, but this applies on any game) were in Glasgow & Edinburgh, and only for the third one I moved to something bigger, Detroit. Which is still twice smaller as Amsterdam, and I had only one strong opponent the first 5 years..... It also means "aim for big markets with a lot of potential bases", because a small base alone in a small country is quickly limiting.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.