Airbus A320 Vs Boeing 737

Started by Crew95, April 13, 2016, 06:09:53 PM

Crew95

Classic Airbus vs Boeing here. Simplified to the best selling airplane of both manufacturers.
One represents the latest technology vs Old school, one gives innovation vs reliability, the A320 and the B737 represent the most important segment of the airline industry. They both offer different models to cover the market's demand and build on the success of their previous versions over the years, but which one do YOU prefer?

alexgv1

CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Crew95

mean123

I do prefer the style of the 737. I like that it's less computerised. I like more how it looks. I like more how it flies. But I think the A320 family offers more than the 737 family. We're talking about 100 to 240 demand routes with the a320 family. Vs 120 to 200 demand routes on the 737 family. With similar fuel consumption, similar maintenance costs in real life, similar training costs, I think the A320 family is a no brainier for me. As much as I do like the old school yoke and flying style of the Boeing.

schro

DC-9 and its kids and grandkids.

* schro drops the mic

Crew95

In my opinion the 737 is an outstanding airplane that has proven to be in better shape than ever with a design and concept that has evolved since the late 60s. I can't think of another airplane that has performed so well since it's introduction. I am lucky enough to work in a 737 since 2014 and I have to say that in my personal experience it's an extremely reliable plane, that always delivers and outperforms in all circumstances. Easy to fly, fix and maintain on daily basis it has never let me down. Very crew friendly as well it provides a fantastic environment to work in. Overall a 10 out of 10 for me!

Aoitsuki

Quote from: schro on April 13, 2016, 08:55:36 PM
DC-9 and its kids and grandkids.

* schro drops the mic

Certainly DC-9 and beyond

schro

Yet, both the 737 and A320 have 33% of all seats being middle seats, compared to the DC-9 and its kids/grandkids only having 20% seats being middle seats, something that significantly increases passenger comfort. Additionally, as conventional wisdom goes, when the last A320 is retired to the desert, pilots will ride home on a DC-9.

* schro kicks the dropped mic.

Zombie Slayer

Quote from: schro on April 13, 2016, 09:26:11 PM
Yet, both the 737 and A320 have 33% of all seats being middle seats, compared to the DC-9 and its kids/grandkids only having 20% seats being middle seats, something that significantly increases passenger comfort. Additionally, as conventional wisdom goes, when the last A320 is retired to the desert, pilots will ride home on a DC-9.

* schro kicks the dropped mic.

Long live the Diesel Nine!
Don Collins of Ohio III, by the Grace of God of the SamiMetaverse of HatF and MT and of His other Realms and Game Worlds, King, Head of the Elite Alliance, Defender of the OOB, Protector of the Slots

alexgv1

CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Mr Yoda

360noscoper

The Boeing 737 is still superior in popularity, because it was introduced so long ago, and all the long lasting airlines most likely have gotten their hands on a 737 at some time. IF the 737s in your fleet are getting old, well, BAM! the 737NG and 737X is to the rescue. The thing with the 737 is, is that it just keeps on coming, and most airlines that have operated 737s for a decent amount of time (which is most large airlines) would probably prefer to stick with the 737 with their future models.

knobbygb

In these days of precise economic modelling and sometimes wafer thin profit margins airlines are more able and very keen to get the "best" aircraft for their particular situation.  If one of the 737 or A320 were truly "best" then you would see the sales skewed much more to one or the other. The fact that they both sell well shows that neither is better when everything is taken into account and the answer is "It depends...."  Aquisition cost and leasing v finance deals available, depreciation and eventual disposability, availability and waiting time for slots, expected future model additions/enhancements, current and future fleet commonality, engine availability and commonality, (re)training costs, length of routes and frequency of segments flown (fuel burn v maintenance), type of cabin configuration required, range of cabin sizes required, cargo requirements, baggage loading issues (loose v container), performance at marginal airfields (hot and high, short field, ramp space restricted), maintenance costs, local maintenance expertise, previous product (dis)satisfaction, political issues (protectionism, embargos, 'special' deals for regional penetration etc.). Those are just of few of issues and facts airlines must consider. There are probably 100's more.

QuoteThe Boeing 737 is still superior in popularity, because it was introduced so long ago, and all the long lasting airlines most likely have gotten their hands on a 737 at some time. IF the 737s in your fleet are getting old, well, BAM! the 737NG and 737X is to the rescue. The thing with the 737 is, is that it just keeps on coming, and most airlines that have operated 737s for a decent amount of time (which is most large airlines) would probably prefer to stick with the 737 with their future models.

Sorry I don't agree with that at all.  I'm not taking side as I think they are both very good but...  there are MANY large airlines who have switched from quite large fleets of 737 to A320 eg. Lufthansa, British Airways, Air France (old)United, US airways, Air Canada, Easyjet just to name the first few that come to mind . Many also have both as the economies of scale kick in with very large fleets and mergers add to their fleet complexity (American, Delta, the new United).  I think my argument above is proven by the fact that all three of those large American carriers I mention have BOTH in their fleet, will continue to operate BOTH for a VERY long time and are actually adding, or about to start adding new examples of BOTH.  Off the top of my head only Southwest, Ryanair , KLM, Alaska and Qantas come to mind as large airlines who have stuck stubbornly with 737s but I'm sure there are many more too.  I am struggling to think of any who have been predominantly A320 and have then moved to 737 - Only Air Canada come to mind with their recent order for 737Max.

Andre090904

True that. When I think of airlines switching either from 737 -> A320 or from A320 -> 737, I also seem to find more examples of 737 -> A320.

Just checked my country of residence (Mexico) and some other Latin American airlines:

Vivaaerobus: Had a pure 737-300 fleet, now going for A320neo all the way
Interjet: Started with A320 and orders A320neo
Volaris: Pure A320 fleet, with A320neo on order
Aeromexico: Pure Boeing fleet with many 737-800 and 737max on order, never had any Airbus
Copa Airlines: Started with 737, orders 737max
Avianca: Exclusively Airbus with tons of A320neo orders
LAN (all variants): Only A320
TAM: Only A320

So we could say that Latin America are Airbus fanatics with only a couple of exeptions. Interesting to see really. When I think of typical 737 airlines, only Ryanair and Norwegian come into my mind. Especially Norwegian is interesting because they ordered BOTH 100 A320neo and 100 737max. They're doing a case study or what?  ;D

tdf42

That stick is the beginning and end of the conversation. Boeing all the way.

Maxair

Sorry I don't agree with that at all.  I'm not taking side as I think they are both very good but...  there are MANY large airlines who have switched from quite large fleets of 737 to A320 eg. Lufthansa, British Airways, Air France (old)United, US airways, Air Canada, Easyjet just to name the first few that come to mind . Many also have both as the economies of scale kick in with very large fleets and mergers add to their fleet complexity (American, Delta, the new United).  I think my argument above is proven by the fact that all three of those large American carriers I mention have BOTH in their fleet, will continue to operate BOTH for a VERY long time and are actually adding, or about to start adding new examples of BOTH.  Off the top of my head only Southwest, Ryanair , KLM, Alaska and Qantas come to mind as large airlines who have stuck stubbornly with 737s but I'm sure there are many more too.  I am struggling to think of any who have been predominantly A320 and have then moved to 737 - Only Air Canada come to mind with their recent order for 737Max.
[/quote]

Notice how the Airlines who made the switch from 737 to 320 are predominantly European? Surely its no coincidence they chose a European built airplane! Also, Air Canada only flew the 737 for a very brief time in the early 2000s when they inherited them in the takeover of Canadian Airlines. The deal to purchase the A320 in 1987 is still a source of consternation with Canadians to this day as politicians lined their pockets with kickbacks. There was a public enquiry and everything. It had nothing to do with what was actually the better aircraft for Air Canada. Especially since they flew mostly Boeing and Macdonald Douglas aircraft since its inception.

wapp11