Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Population vs Cargo  (Read 308 times)

Offline Shamus1

• Members
Population vs Cargo
« on: April 03, 2016, 03:22:32 PM »
One of the traditional disadvantages is if you are not one of the first to base at the most popular airports you are likely to never make it in the top 30. So in the cargo version look outside of population and base the cargo demand on port cities, industrial cities, third world cities where infrastructure is not yet developed to have (such as longer runways, roadways connecting cities etc) higher demand than the traditional airports.
As an example- Long Beach has a small airport that can only support medium aircraft but it has a port. low demand for airtravel but could have high demand for cargo. Africa is traditionally a small airtravel continent but as it is has not built infrastructure cargo demand should be much higher.

Offline Andre090904

• Members
Re: Population vs Cargo
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 03:46:01 PM »
Simple question: how?

There needs to be a database in the backend which tells the system which airport has which cargo volumes. I am sure we all agree that there are "cargo airports" in real life, but it's difficult to get this done in a simulation.

If I am not mistaken, the cargo figures will depend on the city population once city based demand is used. This is surely a good attempt. More people, more goods. Simple. But we also have airports in the middle of nothing which are being used for cargo. Let's say Anchorage (Alaska), Entebbe (Uganda) would you handle these? Are there stats available?

I also think of Indonesia where pax/cargo are mainly managed though air service - but not necessarily with big planes. There are so many "special cases" that it's impossible to have them included with general databases.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »
This test game does not use the City Based Demand system. (= comments on amount of demand etc are "moot"),64904.0.html

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 06:13:25 PM »
For a test game let's not get too finicky.  We know the Pax demand isn't right yet and the final Cargo game will provide a proving game for City based demand. 
I'd like it to go further than that with a % of unmet demand migrating to it's nearest cities. If that's not met then that too will migrate a % of excess to it's nearest cities (with a range factor of course or additional feeder demand to a near Hub airport?).  One day.
In the meantime we get to practice with aircraft configuration, tapping and evaluating additional revenue from cargo, and getting to grips with the 3 (adequate?) type of cargo.

An extra factor I've noticed is that 'Cargo Carried' grows more slowly than 'Pax Carried'.  Maybe just my understanding of the new cargo that means I'm not reacting with prices quickly enough, and not really an issue, just something I noticed.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:51:33 AM by 11Air »

Offline ChuckPerry

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:02:58 AM »
This test game does not use the City Based Demand system.... Why did we have to dump pax to add cargo???

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 12:26:55 PM »
For development maybe. 
I'm finding it's really hard to work out which 'load' is earning money, especially with night flights. My mental maths is fair, memory is wearing out though.
Is there any possibility in the final version of displaying the 'EARNINGS' from PAX and Cargo, or better still Pax, Cargo1, Cargo2, Cargo3  per aircraft flight otherwise tweaking the Limit Seats or cargo type ratios is a bit of a blind man in a dark cave scenario.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.