Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: So hows everyone liking it?  (Read 598 times)

Offline josh

• Members
So hows everyone liking it?
« on: April 02, 2016, 12:11:05 AM »
Just some comments here, feel free to add your own!

I think the addition of cargo is just what AWS needed. From the launch I was surprised at how intuitive it was to have it there, like an old friend. However, I think the financial statements should collapse the data rows for pax & cargo.

What are your initial thoughts?

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
Re: So hows everyone liking it?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
As far as I can see there is either a too small demand for Cargo to justify cargo only operation or the standard aircraft have a far to large belly hold for cargo which will result in a inappropriate disadvantage for those who want to run a cargo only operation.  I think a 737 for example should not be able to carry a few thousand kilo on top of all the pax and bagage. 50 to 100 kilograms of mail in full PAX config only....

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 10:50:13 AM »
I think a 737 for example should not be able to carry a few thousand kilo on top of all the pax and bagage.

It's not a question of what each plane "should" be able to do. It's 100% math: Each plane has a certain sized cargo hold, based exactly on the real specifications. The bags take a certain amount of space (again calculated in proper terms, weight and volume) and all the rest remains for cargo (if there is any).

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 12:29:35 PM »
I think a 737 for example should not be able to carry a few thousand kilo on top of all the pax and bagage. 50 to 100 kilograms of mail in full PAX config only....

And of course, that 'few thousand kilo' drastically reduces as you begin to stretch the range of the aircraft. I have some 737-400 which can, in theory carry 4040kg. Their max. range is 2510nm but on a 2194nm flight, they carry only 1290kg of cargo with full pax. load which seems about right. That's only around the weight of 10 extra pax and bags or a 7% increase over the pax only load. 50kg of mail wouldn't really be a lot - probably not even two full mailbags.

My first impression after a couple of weeks of gameplay is that a big part of the game in future might be controlling the actual number of pax. seats to allow for the cargo which, like the real world, seems to be more lucrative than pax.  For example, on the route I mention above, blocking off an additional 10 seats allows me to fly an additional 280kg of cargo. The prices are $224 per pax and an average of $17770 per ton of cargo. So I lose $2240 on the 10 pax but gain $4976 in cargo revenue - assuming the demand is there of course.  In addition I make savings on pax. fees AND I can then bump up the pax prices considerably as I am no longer satisfying the demand.  Of course, a larger aircraft would allow me to carry both loads and I think we will see an increase in the use of widebody aircraft on the kind of marginal route I am talking about above (BRU-THR).  In the game most people now use narrowbodies on these kind of routes but in the real world they are mostly widebody. It already seems like cargo is going to have the desired effect of adding realism.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:42:24 PM by knobbygb »

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »
Easy to use and understand. Well done Sami.  A lot more work to do of course with demand and pricing but it's a good start.
I would like to see an advertising feature for Cargo, perhaps Trade Mags similar to the Newspaper for passengers? in due course as your programming progresses.
I hope to be solvent enough to try Cargo Planes soon.  That will be the real test.

Offline Harrit

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 06:41:57 PM »
So far, I really like the cargo mechanics.  I'm interested to see how they evolve, especially if it changes the way the system works around getting the biggest cities for long haul vs airports specializing in more cargo facilities than passengers. Can bases specialize in cargo oriented vs pax infrastructure and the appropriate staffing levels around that.

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 12:36:49 PM »
Or do we have to build Cargo Facilities in addition to our Pax and Maintenance Facilities.

Offline Andrew Chesterton

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 07:38:07 PM »
While we are suggesting upgrades.. how about an addition to the route searches, search for something with a demand level above or between a certain range, because its annoying as hell having to open every route and check demand level especially on a phone  ;D

Offline Andre090904

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 09:16:23 PM »
While we are suggesting upgrades.. how about an addition to the route searches, search for something with a demand level above or between a certain range, because its annoying as hell having to open every route and check demand level especially on a phone  ;D

I actually like this part most. Would be boring otherwise if you ask me.

Offline Andrew Chesterton

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 12:11:41 AM »
I actually like this part most. Would be boring otherwise if you ask me.

You dont have to use the feature, but would be nice for those of us who play this on a tablet or mobile phone to be able to actually search for a route before someone else finds it,

Im not asking for them to show me all the unused routes, just remove the pointless ones that only have 12 passengers or even worse, 0

Offline josh

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 06:20:27 AM »

Andrew Chesterton, please stay on topic.

Offline scotscrew

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 06:24:44 PM »
I'm not engaged so far. Seems a poor enhancement imho

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.