Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Jet Speed vs. Prop Frequency  (Read 649 times)

Offline Andre090904

• Members
Jet Speed vs. Prop Frequency
« on: March 28, 2016, 11:07:23 PM »
Hi all,

Simple question. Let's say there is a route with a 300 demand. Player A flies 3x daily a 100-seat jet airplane. Player B flies 6x daily a 50-seat prop airplane. The demand is fulfilled either way. Which player has an advantage? Player A for using jets or Player B for having more frequent flights with props? What market share is likely?

Let's assume the flights happen during normal day times and that all flights depart at a different time.

Thanks,
André

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Jet Speed vs. Prop Frequency
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
Don't have the facts&figures right here but for a route with such a small(ish) demand I'd say the "optimal" frequency is around 4 flights per day.

Offline Andre090904

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 11:55:07 PM »
Thanks for your quick answer, Sami!

Does that mean that there is no such a thing as a "jet bonus"? I imagined passengers would prefer jets over props as they arrive at the destination faster. But good to know that there is a "optimal frequency". So more flights doesn't automatically mean more market share.

Thanks,
André

Online schro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:02:25 AM »
Total travel time is allegedly considered but it seems to be a minor component. You didn't mention the length of the route, but since most 50 seat props dont go very far, then it's safe to assume this is a fairly short route where the jet might be 20 minutes faster in total, which is not material.

Then again, there's also this bug report that I filed a long time ago that observes that flight time doesn't do much at all....http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,48584.0.html

Offline Andre090904

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 01:42:10 AM »
Well, the flight time varies quite a lot for routes around 1000-1500NM. I'm in world 2 in 1971 where there are no jets yet with such a range and only 60 seats or so. Well, the Caravelle, but that's nothing for me.  ;D

Offline Andre

• Members

The 3 people who like this post:
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 03:59:23 PM »
I wish speed had more to say. As it works now, people prefer flying a Lockheed Constellation trans Pacific, instead of a Boeing 707 with 1 tech stop, even though the 707 with the tech stop reaches the destination faster. Total travel time needs to matter more than tech stops. But that's slightly digressing.

Offline Andre090904

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 04:17:34 PM »
Agreed.

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 08:06:44 AM »
Size of aircraft makes them more attractive too.  3 flights a day, earliest after 6:30 and back by 9:30 gives best passenger satisfaction (RW) but a night flight with a long layover allows a late take-off and early return to the source airport.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.