Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Silly habits  (Read 692 times)

Offline saetta

• Members
Silly habits
« on: March 09, 2016, 03:34:26 AM »
I have seen this happen over and over.
 a) Get in a silly que for the 727 100 and by the time you get it, it is already outdated.
 b) Jump into international long haul routes with "leased" DC 8 or 707, the cost of routes, planes and fuel will destroy you.
 c) Buy Russian planes ...this is not an angle ..it's in most cases self destruction !
d) Impatience, this is a very long game and most of the early "so called" power players will be gone in 10 game years.
e) Most long haul routes will kill an airline...stay in your continent (if you can) and go global at a much later stage.

I am sure I will be criticized for these comments. As I have said somewhere else, if you are a very skilled player you can make almost any aircraft or route work for you...but most of us are not !!

Offline SAUR E. SAUR

• Members
Re: Silly habits
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 11:55:45 AM »
Many good observations. I completely agree on long haul routes and what will happen to some of the big players. Already see a very large airline operating in my base will be doomed before 1980 due to some interesting shall we say aircraft choice. Oh well, I'll be there to pick up the scrap pieces and build on.

Offline Fscamp

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 08:47:16 AM »
" c) Buy Russian planes ...this is not an angle ..it's in most cases self destruction !"

Depends from the aircraft. In early game Il-18 is a fantastic aircraft, and even in later game TU-204-220 can be a good option as poor man's 757. I even operated TU-154M for a while successfully, though I didn't have much competition on most routes.

As for the long haul, I think that too depends very much from your situation. I agree that it's good to have a profitable short / medium haul fleet  as a base before doing too much long haul, however when you've got that then definitely a leased DC-8 or 707 can work early on in the game.

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
Depends from the aircraft. In early game Il-18 is a fantastic aircraft, and even in later game TU-204-220 can be a good option as poor man's 757. I even operated TU-154M for a while successfully, though I didn't have much competition on most routes.

Russian steel has its own rules, and amongst them is that their maintenance cost grow prohibitive when they grow older. So it can be wise to ditch them at 15 years old, before the second D-Check. Which is not always a good idea for western planes. Which means you're replacing them more often. And when you're replacing, you're not growing. Another reason to dispatch them earlier is the fuel prices evolution.

It's no true for the last generation of red planes(especially the SSJ), but often true for the previous generations. Of course, some planes are much better than others.

I'm tempted to try the TU204, sooner or later. Statistically, it's a cheaper 757 with shorter legs. As the 757 is vulnerable on longer routes, due to the "too small penalty", it seems a nice alternative anyways. Though later, on most routes, the last generations of 321/739 are nearly as big, and far more fuel-efficient. Three times costlier to buy-lease, though.....

Offline Maxair

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:52:23 AM »
Depends on how you approach long haul. I started a LH airline in the early 70s (gw4) with 747s and im still trucking along. Its tough but fun! Just have to pick your battles wisely and spend hours searching route combos.

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »
I rest my case ..the 2 previous replies on this post as to "long haul  and russian a/c " ...are history !!!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.