Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Never post press releases!  (Read 585 times)

Offline Joshua Jordan

• Members
Never post press releases!
« on: March 06, 2016, 10:04:54 PM »
This is my first experience of playing a long game and I must say, it's rather harsh. Not as friendly or as fun as the shorter challenge type games.
I'm learning as I go,   but one thing I've learnt very quickly is that you should never post press releases, it's just asking for trouble.
I posted a few to promote a fairly new alliance - Modern, but as soon as I did, I went from having one major competitor to
having five at my home hq, including two from another alliance - (one to take on my short routes and one to take longer ones). 
Plus new competitors as each of my bases.   I doubt any of that would have happened had I not raised my head above the
parapet and posted press releases. 

So be aware,   if you post press releases, you may just get more than you bargained for.  Post at your peril!

Offline Scott

• Members
Re: Never post press releases!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 11:12:42 PM »
Apologies for having two members of our alliance in one of your bases, that was an oversight by one of them that didn't know the rule, it is being addressed now. 

Don't stop posting press releases, ours have generally be self deprecating and not focused on gameplay but more on the benefits of alliance life. Hence I haven't had any problems with being targeted.

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:10:38 AM »
n4p

Offline Joshua Jordan

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 01:08:49 PM »
Thank you for the reply Scott.  I am glad you are looking into and addressing it. :)

king Kong,  I'm not sure what you mean
n4p

not 4 profit?  not 4 posting?  not 4 playing?  something else?  ???

Offline schro

• Members

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 01:29:07 PM »
Thank you for the reply Scott.  I am glad you are looking into and addressing it. :)

king Kong,  I'm not sure what you mean
not 4 profit?  not 4 posting?  not 4 playing?  something else?  ???

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=N4p

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »
Just kidding of course!  ;D

Offline Joshua Jordan

• Members

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »
Thank you for clarification Schro.

and thanks for the insult King Kong.   

Further emphasizing the my point I made in my first comment that this is not a friendly game.

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 01:56:41 PM »
It is, it is just some joking around in regards on your first post saying its not friendly. But obviously you (or me) completely missed the point!

Back on topic. This game is a friendly as any other... people are here to win. Winning is not specified and could be anything but looking at statistics would be the best benchmark.
Some play together in an alliance which, if you actively participate, is a lot of fun and creates an extra atmosphere of winning conditions....

Its fully up to you how you wish to play, but if you're looking for a place without competition or other airlines then this is not the right place

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
Back on topic. This game is a friendly as any other... people are here to win. Winning is not specified and could be anything but looking at statistics would be the best benchmark.
Some play together in an alliance which, if you actively participate, is a lot of fun and creates an extra atmosphere of winning conditions....

Its fully up to you how you wish to play, but if you're looking for a place without competition or other airlines then this is not the right place

So please beat him "on the field". Not in the forums. It's a pleasure to have my *** kicked by an elegant gentleman as Schro. On the field.

Offline Joshua Jordan

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »
My main point in the original comment was  warning other players about the possible negative consequences of posting press releases.  Such as increased competition.

I didn't ask for there to be no competition, indeed  I mention that I had competition already.  What I wasn't exactly happy with was having two players from the same alliance becoming my competition - one for the longer flights and one taking me on on the shorter flights.  I thought this was against the rules and was indeed not a friendly thing to do.

Insulting people  is not friendly either, even if it were intended as a joke, although your comment gave no indication of it being a joke.

Offline schro

• Members

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 04:30:44 PM »
My main point in the original comment was  warning other players about the possible negative consequences of posting press releases.  Such as increased competition.

I didn't ask for there to be no competition, indeed  I mention that I had competition already.  What I wasn't exactly happy with was having two players from the same alliance becoming my competition - one for the longer flights and one taking me on on the shorter flights.  I thought this was against the rules and was indeed not a friendly thing to do.

Insulting people  is not friendly either, even if it were intended as a joke, although your comment gave no indication of it being a joke.

As a more experienced player, I virtually never look at the press releases. The only case where I might care and take action on a press release is if I'm specifically targeted/mentioned in the press release (which is a very rare occurrence).

As for two members of the same alliance opening in your base, that's against the game rules and is reportable - it sounds like the alliance leader took action when he found out, though, alliances should consider having a structured method to the madness for basing to prevent that from happening. If the alliance leader didn't notice, a quick PM to sami will have trout delivered to them to be slapped with. From an alliance planning perspective, it's not a great idea to have two airlines in the UK prior to EU Open Skies as it's really not big enough to support two big airlines without sharing bases.

With respect to the insult, I'm disappointed that one was launched in your general direction. The "Report to Moderator" button is quite handy for those things as insults are against the terms of service of the forum and said button will likely result in things getting cleaned up and those responsible for the insult being slapped around with a trout, specifically, a rainbow trout. That may make them see stars.

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 09:01:08 PM »
Got a slap, never meant as a real insult. Sorry for that!

Nevertheless, posting a press release might indeed attract unwanted attention to your airline. As cool as the feature is, its also a dangerous thing since you just found out the consequences of attenting others to your (maybe) weaker position.

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 11:43:32 AM »
(.../...)Nevertheless, posting a press release might indeed attract unwanted attention to your airline. As cool as the feature is, its also a dangerous thing since you just found out the consequences of attenting others to your (maybe) weaker position.

That, OTOH, I agree 100% with. In previous GW3, a new player posted a long, detailled entry on the low-cost company he wanted to build in Hamburg. I had a look at Hamburg, there was him and a dying player(with regional 747 flights - no joke). He seemed weak also. I opened a base here, and it was my best base of the game. Both opponents died soon after my arrival. I spent more than half of that game alone in Hamburg. Maybe he would have died anyways, but I clearly hastened its doom. I was blocked in small airports(Edinburgh & London City), and was in need for a bigger playfield. He told me where to look for a bigger playfield. To its detriment.

My one and only one press release was to boast about covering around 600 airports in the same game. Not far from the endgame, when there was no risk anymore. The only other reason than bragging(when you can afford) is to advertise used planes, or for alliance recruiting. And even alliance recruiting is dangerous, other players might have a look to see if you're a strong, and discover you're a juicy prey...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.