Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Airlines earning too much too fast ?  (Read 292 times)

Offline reef75

• Members
Airlines earning too much too fast ?
« on: February 25, 2016, 08:50:49 AM »
Hey all. Im playing in game 2 and by all accounts, a mid level player. Rarely do I seem to stick one airline to the end and usually restart often. My airline can be broke or easily making money makes no odds. I experiment a lot. The problem I see is it seems growth is way too rapid in this game. You really notice this when starting again and looking to invest in popular aircraft. Given that all airlines have been running no more than 5 years, they can already purchase more aircraft than is reasonable. As an example if you wanted to buy a Boeing 727, you would be on the end of the backlog of 5382 aircraft and waiting until the end of 71 for a first delivery. Historically only 1832 were built in total and in 1965 only 184 orders had been placed by airlines. Seems Airwaysim is a very prosperous world and well, less sim and more gamey. This is an observation not a me crying because I cant get the plane I want, I play it for what it is even if not much like it was. Maybe I have it all wrong, but would love to hear others thoughts.

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
Re: Airlines earning too much too fast ?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:23:05 AM »
Observations from a mentor :

(1) plenty of companies have already bankrupted. So it's not THAT easy.
(2) fuel prices are ridiculously low. This won't last
(3) due to lack of used planes, plenty of players have very disparate fleet groups. When they will grow, painful restructurations will happen. And fleet transitions will be painful also.
(4) I see the usual opposition at the big airports, with overcrowded routes.

So yes, if you've been able to secure a great number of planes in a limited number of fleet groups, you're the king of the world. But plenyy of players currently in the green are going to face problems, big problems, sooner or later.

It's really different from the GW3 I'm used to, far more players, far more opportunities, and delayed opposition due to lack of planes. But the difficulty is still arriving, IMHO, just slower than other games. People with 3 big fleet groups wanting to proceed to a fleet renewal will suffer.

Offline reef75

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 09:52:25 AM »
Hey Gazz. I agree with a few of your points but not really what I was saying. If these airlines survive or not was not what I was getting at. Rather the fact they have so much wealth already, they can order many times more aircraft than what was ever possible. By 1965 417 b727 had been ordered compared to 5382 in game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:29:49 AM by reef75 »

Online gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
Yeah, the game was designed from start to be oversized. So, of course, the big boys will own thousands of planes, and the 600 planes out of base limit will be much more limitating. I think is was done under pressure, for some reasons, everyone wanted absolutely to play this game. So it had to be bigger. I guess Amsterdam-CDG in 2029 will be an absolute monster. Or Tokyo Fukuoka. It already has 8000 demand, and 11000 offer. I don't know how it will be in 2029.

So it's different from the GW3 I'm used too. You have to play more numbers. Every fleet type will be used to the death. In most game worlds, for modern regional jets, you've got a few families that die quickly, like the A148, the IL334, the ARJ21. I expect them to be very popular in GW2, just because waiting lists for the usual suspects(Ejets, MRJs, CRJs) will be insanely long. Same for all kinds of planes.

It's a different game, and you have to play numbers more than specifics. My insane network of 120 SW3 linking 200+ destinations from 10 bases in Europe makes no sense in that context. It would be more an ATR network. I had 12 SW3 with 25 destinations from Visby in Sweden, in 2025. I could already build the same kind of network with Herons. In 1965. I'd need more than 12 because the heron is especially slow, but yeah, this specific GW is big.

I'm waiting for GW3, I'm not tempted entering into the dance right now. But it's interesting. Less realistic, of course, in terms of demand.

Offline reef75

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 01:34:29 PM »
I had not realised other game worlds would run differently aside from dates. Maybe im just in the wrong game world then if others such as GW3 run less as GW2. Thanks for your input Gaz, appreciate it.

Offline [ATA] Sunbao

• Members
    • FmFreaks
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 01:47:03 PM »
Most world stats with around 600 players nothing new in that, also nothing new in players filling the lines up so quickly aswell, same goes for gw3 4 and 1.

The only new thing is more airport slots and more demand from start of the game, all other is standard stuff.

But yes airlines in this game makes way to much money. but on the other hand would you want to the world to be as it really was back in 60s ? with routes like this:
Copenhagen Frankfurt Zurich Rome Tehran Karachi Calcutta Bangkok Manila Tokyo
Copenhagen Zurich Lisbon Rio de Janeiro Sao Paulo Montevideo Buenos Aires Santiago de Chile

Those two is real life SAS routes from late 60's early 70s. Both routes flown by DC8
Doing such stuff in this game would be so time consuming, and also call for much more staff needed etc.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.