Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Props to Jets  (Read 882 times)

Offline johndd1

• Members
Props to Jets
« on: February 07, 2016, 02:29:58 AM »
New player, here.

I jumped on an opportunity to grab a few 727-100s recently which will propel me into the jet age a little sooner than I had originally planned.

There are obvious concerns about increased fuel costs, landing/handling fees, maintenance, etc. Im curious what kind of pitfalls or challenges I should be prepared for/ careful of as I make the transition to jets.

Any advice or lessons learned would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance...

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members

The person who likes this post:
Re: Props to Jets
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 05:18:09 AM »
One thing to pay attention to is when you have several flights to the same destination with different speed aircraft, they may be departing at good spacing (time-wise) from your home airport, but their return trip may be overlapping (and be penalized for that).

As far as fuel usage, they do use a lot more fuel, but that needs to be normalized to fuel usage per passenger mile.  And then the difference turns out to be less staggering, because:
- jets fly almost twice as fast (the fuel usage is per hour not per distance)
- they carry more passengers

Offline johndd1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:09:36 PM »
Good points, thanks

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:04:33 AM »
(.../...)
- jets fly almost twice as fast (the fuel usage is per hour not per distance)
- they carry more passengers

That, and as they fly more, the price of owning the craft(leasing or depreciation) is spread into more miles traveled. Speed is very important in that aspect. If you pay more for fuel per passenger per mile, but less in airplane owning, you can have lower total costs per seat.

Offline TerryMcKenna

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 09:48:18 PM »
One thing that I have learned is don't rush into jets. The normal year on pax increases don't accomodate a huge increase in the frequency and seating on most routes. So you end up with lower LF and big increases in everything.
(Although the increased pax figures in this game do make it easier)

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 03:20:10 AM »
I agree with TerryM...everybody rushes into totally inefficient first gen jets , and then  90% of them disappear. Comets, 707 and early 8's and to some extent caravelles, in most cases (not all) are a one way ticket to bankruptcy. Even some turbo props are suspect like all russian ones and Vanguard's.
 Again if you are a very skillful player you can make almost anything work ...but most of us are not. If you want to make it in this game, be patient, learn from others follies ....and be aware of your limitations !

Offline schro

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 04:38:23 AM »
I agree with TerryM...everybody rushes into totally inefficient first gen jets , and then  90% of them disappear. Comets, 707 and early 8's and to some extent caravelles, in most cases (not all) are a one way ticket to bankruptcy. Even some turbo props are suspect like all russian ones and Vanguard's.
 Again if you are a very skillful player you can make almost anything work ...but most of us are not. If you want to make it in this game, be patient, learn from others follies ....and be aware of your limitations !

It's more about having a solid exit plan from first generation jets... that's where the problem usually exists...

Offline saetta

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »
true also

Offline SAUR E. SAUR

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »
It's more about having a solid exit plan from first generation jets... that's where the problem usually exists...

Oh yes. I learned that in the last long GW as I tried to pull a Tarom and fly 707s into the 90s. Didn't exactly made it :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.