Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Norway Bases  (Read 304 times)

Offline Shmant

• Members
Norway Bases
« on: February 02, 2016, 08:01:12 PM »
I'm wandering why Norwegian Air Shuttle, a real airline obviously based in Norway, can open bases in multiple places in Europe, while I cannot open new bases in Europe with my airline based in Norway. Is it something to do with EU stuff and why doesn't it apply to a real airline?

Offline Mr Yoda

• Members
Re: Norway Bases
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 08:56:43 PM »
I don't know for certain about intra Europe ops like LGW base and how SAS does it. I can tell you for certain that NAS Long Haul operates an Irish Air Carrier Operating Licence so thats why they can base their Dreamliners in places like Gatwick. That also gives them less restrictions flying into the US.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:44:52 AM »
It depends on the game year, EU OpenSkies starts in 1998 as I recall and allows European airlines to base anywhere in the continent.

I see you're in GW1 and the year is 2019 so maybe it's because Norway isn't participating in the EU or perhaps your airline doesn't have enough age or aircraft (sorry I can't see those details).
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Cardinal

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 05:30:41 AM »
because Norway isn't participating in the EU

This.

Norway is not an EU member. IRL, they have business partners in other countries that, on paper, are separate entities licensing the Norwegian Air trademarks (but in reality are controlled by the parent). In AWS, we don't have the "buy a politician" button necessary to do this  ;D

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 02:42:16 PM »
No, EU or not doesn't actually matter at all. Norway is part of the EEC, and in the real world a Norwegian carrier can base in any EU country. Norwegian Air shuttle has bases Spain, UK, Sweden, Denmark and other EU countries. And I'm not counting their long haul division in Ireland.

Another example is Scandinavian Airlines. Bases in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. One parent company, multiple entities.

But multiple entities is not an arguement against basing in different countries, they are multiple entities within the EU too. My point is that the Norway/EU border does not matter at all in the real world. And this should be reflected in Airwaysim as well. Norway should be treated as any EU country with regards to aviation, just as it is in real life.

Offline Apalvaldr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
My point is that the Norway/EU border does not matter at all in the real world. And this should be reflected in Airwaysim as well. Norway should be treated as any EU country with regards to aviation, just as it is in real life.

In fact, no border matters. WizzAir has a lot of bases outside EU (Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia) and even Adria Airways, national carrier of Slovenia, has bases in Poland, which is part of EU, and in both Kosovo and Albania, which are not part of EU. In real life it is a waaay more complicated than just EU/EEC laws. And obviously national carriers (maybe except Adria ;) don't open bases outside its 'home' countries (actually even HUBs). Once in history KLM had several bases in UK, operated by KLMuk, used as a feeder for its AMS hub. However KLMuk flew to AMS only.

IMO system used nowadays in Airwaysim is ok and should remain the same.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.