Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: How do you find the time?  (Read 259 times)

Offline qwert5479

• Members
How do you find the time?
« on: January 28, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »
I just discovered AWS 10 days ago.  In those 10 days I've spent no less than 150 hours playing the game in one form or another, either just monitoring routes, waiting for that next day to pass, or researching/planning/creating new routes and every other little detail a person can do here.  And it still seems like I could be doing more.

Right now I'm in the middle of a month-long vacation from work, so I have the time to stay up until 7am every night and create my airline empire......but after looking around in the forums, this kind of devotion seems to be normal.  How do you guys keep up on your airline through an entire GW and still have a life?  I don't mean that in any kind of insulting way, I just don't see myself being able to keep up when I have to go back to work.  It doesn't seem like the kind of thing you could just play for 10 minutes a day without something disastrous happening.  A lot of times I'm afraid just to go to sleep because LF% numbers might drop in the next 20 game days while I'm gone and I won't be there to fix it. 

Do you guys all spend 10 hours a day doing this or am I just micromanaging everything too much?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: How do you find the time?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
Once you get past the initial setup stage the airline can pretty much manage itself with all the automation (of staff, maintenance etc) and things like that. If there's a lot of airline growth going on, then it needs more time but once you settle in it doesn't need that much effort in my mind. (but we still lack some tools to make it even easier, for the large airlines)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:47:26 PM »
20-30 minutes a day does the trick for most people I'd imagine, certainly myself. Once you are acquainted with the mechanics of the game and route demands you will find the research time will be less.

With the new used aircraft and slot distribution functions, there is much less of a requirement for players to be active at unsociable hours. (No more waiting until 2am real time for 1st January game time for those new LHR slots to drop).
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline 11Air

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »
I like to tweak once or twice a day, more than that and the last tweaks haven't yet stabilised out so corrections can be doubled up.
Doing a 'manage routes' for each base airport allows tweaking of prices for outbound and or return flights to achieve your target LF.  It's a matter of learning what LF that route will bear as price isn't the only criteria.  And not cutting prices too far.
I like to provide a replacement aircraft for 'planes going into C or D maintenance where I have several of a type.  Fewer seats isn't a problem, even a smaller plane if the type matches.  Whether it's actually worth the trouble is another matter, in RW a fleet will have a stock replacement for the route with A and B mtce being done on an hours flown basis.  Reminds me I must put in a request for 'back-up aircraft' which will fill the absence or late running of the aircraft it's assigned to support.
I think I probably meddle too much, but being retired - well, I'm lucky.  Mind you, forgetting which one I just tweaked is the flip side.
In GW-4 I got from 1970 to 2007 nicely, but then it all went wrong.  This is where a FULL understanding of the dynamics would really count.  Certainly I've found the number of players in the GW makes a big difference.  I have a feeling GW-2 is going to be popular, which doesn't make it easier.  GW-4 is close to 500, GW-3 is nearer 300.  Does the Demand in a GW make any allowance for that?
I do hope we get a few days to get things set up before the computer clock makes a slow run into the game, just like GW-4 did all those days ago. 
Finding the right base is going to be important, though I do not understand how the skilled players start so big and have a huge head start in a couple of Game-years.
Looking forward to the Cargo Sysytem going live too.  Ignore it or love it?  We'll see.
11Air
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:04:49 PM by 11Air »

Offline tdf42

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 03:29:43 AM »
I am recently retired and there is no way I could have played this game while I was working. I spend 4-6 hrs a day on this and my wife is looking at me funny...lol. Good luck!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.