Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Regarding Company Image  (Read 922 times)

Offline Nacho90

• Members
Regarding Company Image
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
Hello people!
I have a short question regarding CI. I operate a small regional airline that only flyes B99/1900, so my longest route dosnt surpass the 610NM range. Because of that i have a lot of short routes (all of my 7 a/c have 5 daily routes scheduled between 06am and 01am) and therefore a (in my opinion) very high marketing cost.
Just to run only newspaper ad in my "state/municipality" is almost 80k per week. Im making profit, but not enought to increase the overall spending in marketing and my CI seems to be stuck at 20 pts. Any clue how to solve this situation? 

Thanks!! :)

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
Re: Regarding Company Image
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
I'm seeing the same problem. I'm actually investing fairly heavily for a new airline into Marketing and seeing the same thing. CI stuck at 19. RI seems to be repsonding to spend, but CI is stuck.

Is this a new rule change or a slight glitch because as IRL marketing professional; this lack of brand image responsiveness to spending offends me. ;D

Offline 11Air

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:18:29 PM »
CI, Company Image, is naturally affected by the size and number of aircraft you fly.  Until you are flying 100 seaters you'll not see CI rising much.  20 seems to be the natural limit for smaller aircraft (sub50 seaters).  30 comes with some 60/70 seaters, 50 with 100+. 
Be aware that if you are in an alliance while your CI is below 30 you will drag the Alliance Score down.

Offline schro

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 01:27:46 AM »
Spending on RI does not have an impact on CI. Spending nothing on RI will still result in it rising to 100 over the course of a game year or so.

CI, Company Image, is naturally affected by the size and number of aircraft you fly.  Until you are flying 100 seaters you'll not see CI rising much.  20 seems to be the natural limit for smaller aircraft (sub50 seaters).  30 comes with some 60/70 seaters, 50 with 100+. 
Be aware that if you are in an alliance while your CI is below 30 you will drag the Alliance Score down.

No. Size and number if aircraft do not directly impact CI. Additionally, a CI if below 30 does nothing to an alliance score.

With respect to small plane airlines, there's no benefit to pursuing a higher CI nor can they afford to based on the small nature of their operations. If you're running all domestic flights with little to no business demand, it doesn't benefit you to go very high on it.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 07:41:52 AM »
(.../...)
With respect to small plane airlines, there's no benefit to pursuing a higher CI nor can they afford to based on the small nature of their operations. If you're running all domestic flights with little to no business demand, it doesn't benefit you to go very high on it.

Having toyed a lot with SW3 in last GW3, I think it's more complicated than that. Very small planes usually come in the most economic seating. And there is a hard limit to the pricing you can set. On some lines, you've got a 95%LF at price 180, and 65% at price 190. CI raises this bar up - and it's really a much-needed oxygen.

But when you're small, you can't get it easily, and marketing is prohibitive. Which is realistic. So you stick with lower prices - or switch to standard seating, but it's not without drawbacks either. I made a comparison for all my SW3 flying from Fuerteventura(15 of them), and at the end, in terms of profit, standard seating and its 16 places instead of 19 was not better, despite much better pricing.

So CI is good, even for small airlines, but they simply cannot afford it, usually. When I began to have very juicy E195 routes to pay the raise of my CI up to 90, though, I could lift the pricing on my SW3 much higher. But still with a hard limit, above which LF falls brutally.

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:32:59 PM »
Schro, with respect I have to disagree with you.
1.  CI in an alliance needs to be above 30 or it will drag the alliance score down and down and down.  Done it, proved it, left alliance and it recovered.
2.  CI of 20 is fine for an independent airline, it's not a long term solution as competitiveness is affected, but it's not a killer in it's own right.  It does lift the CI a bit, but not significantly - see 3.
3. I do agree that there's no great benefit to be gained from company advertising, it's more effective to get a couple of 50 to 60 seaters on a worthwhile route as that seems to shift CI up to 29.5 (given the LF's are reasonable across the fleets).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:37:09 PM by 11Air »

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 07:50:12 PM »
Schro, with respect I have to disagree with you.
1.  CI in an alliance needs to be above 30 or it will drag the alliance score down and down and down.  Done it, proved it, left alliance and it recovered.
2.  CI of 20 is fine for an independent airline, it's not a long term solution as competitiveness is affected, but it's not a killer in it's own right.  It does lift the CI a bit, but not significantly - see 3.
3. I do agree that there's no great benefit to be gained from company advertising, it's more effective to get a couple of 50 to 60 seaters on a worthwhile route as that seems to shift CI up to 29.5 (given the LF's are reasonable across the fleets).

1. Please refer to the linked manual page and in terms of how the score is calculated per that page, please tell me how the alliance score is negatively impacted by an airline that maintains a 30 or lower CI and does nothing else that would attract negative points - http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Manual/Others/Alliances/#Score

2 & 3. When referring to the term small, I'm talking about planes within the game classified as small planes. These are typically sub-50 seaters, as fleet types that average 50 seats tend to end up in the medium category. My opinion is mostly based upon the research performed by Sanabas in his various small airline experiments along with my own observations running a F'ing 27 based airline a few years back. Please refer to http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,48305.0.html - the CI discussion happens on the third page, and there's probably some discussion in his first experiment. To sum it up, my F'ing 27 operation was spending 15% of revenue to maintain a CI of 30. Anything higher is not sustainable if you would like to stay in business.

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 08:01:30 PM »
Schro, with respect:-

I've often started up with 20 to 30 seaters, small aircraft.  Even with decent LF's above 80% the Ci will not go above 20 without advertising, and that needs to be more than a little to lift it toward 30.  However adding a 50 seater (say 1 in 5 of the fleet) will lift the CI to 30. Adding 100 seaters will lift the CI toward 50.  That's what Ive seen a few times in thelast year or so I've been playing.

As for the Alliance Score, if you remember Spectrum Alliance it took Rick and I a few games to realise that CI lower than 30 does indeed seriously damage the Alliance Score.  Dropping out of, then back into, the Alliance was proof of the concept.
I'm happy with a CI of 20 to 30 so long as there's not too much competition on the smaller AIRFIELDS I use.

Just what I've seen, and tested, and found the limits for over several games.  I would add that any competition is pretty damaging if your CI is below 50.

11Air.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
CI lower than 30 does indeed seriously damage the Alliance Score.

No, it does not go like that. The effect of the company image is directly relative to what kind of image the OTHER airlines have, i.e. how well your airline is placed in the ranking.

"The variable score is calculated based on the statistics visible on the Airline Statistics page. The stats included in the calculation are: total sales revenue, profit margin, company image, fleet utilization, transported passengers, load factor and punctuality.  ... For each score segment the top 10% of the airlines (but at least top 20) of each statistic are awarded points (20, 19, 18, 17 ...etc), and if this airline is a member of some alliance those points are added to the alliance's variable score. If some airline in this top 10% has less than 10 aircraft in operation it is excluded from the score calculation."

So in large game worlds having CI 20 or CI 30 does not have any effect at all since you are probably not in the top 20 with that in the overall CI ranking. (my test airline in GW#2 has CI exactly 30 and I am ranked in place #270 for the CI stat - so no points from me to the alliance if I were a member of one there)

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 08:56:44 PM »
Thank you Sami.  The Spectrum Alliance rarely had more than ten members so perhaps that explains the differences in what I saw to the mechanics of the game. 

For Alliance Administrators they can ignore any members below the top twenty then.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.