Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Major Good and Bad events clump like kitty litter  (Read 92 times)

Online schro

• Members
[-] Major Good and Bad events clump like kitty litter
« on: January 14, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
So, i have observed this in a number of game worlds over the past 6-12 months, since the introduction of many of these events. I understand that there is logic that prevents major events from going one after another in specific regions (i.e. can't do a dozen rail strikes in a row in the US), however, it seems that this logic counts the good and the bad separately and then they inevitably will happen with 6 months of each other after 10+ years of nothing interesting happening in the country. The latest instance of this is in GW3 in the US -

2026-Oct-27 - Major protests against the government. 2 Week nerf cannon to revenue.
2027-Feb-11 - Long railway strike in the United States. 1 month buff of revenue.

I also recall seeing something like this in GW4, GW1 and probably GW2 of the current running game worlds for the US region. Why do I remember? Mostly because I'm often working on competing with competition who are on the trail of tears to bankruptcy and I applaud with glee when one of the bad events shows up, and then a few months later, I cry because they are saved by the major good event (it can also happen the other way around). So yes, I understand that they are "random" events, but the way that they happen from a practical standpoint makes it feel like there's always a good and bad major event paired within the same game year of each other...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:51:58 PM by sami »

Online schro

• Members
Re: Major Good and Bad events clump like kitty litter
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »
Ok. Here's some more evidence pulled from Feedly which is my RSS aggregator.... I do not have game days available, but number of days ago that events happened. Events have only been published to the RSS feed for ~half year, I believe, so I can't go back too much farther in the news. I'm only including events that have more than a week of impact....

GW1 -
67d ago - United States railway strike - 20 day revenue buff
63d ago - United States major protests - 2 week revenue nerf

GW4 - Odd - no really bad events here
42d ago - United States World Cup - 1 month revenue buff
84d ago - United States Railway strike - 20 day revenue buff

GW2 - A bit better spaced.. though, if 2 day general strikes count as major, then there's a few to add
74d ago - United States Railway strike - 1 month revenue buff
127d ago - United States Major Protests - 2 week revenue nerf

I don't seem to have the GW3 feed....

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »
it's very uncommon I disagree with you, but randomness precisely leads to cluttered results. It cannot be one event every 12 months. It would be artificial, not random. In France, we say "trouble happens in squadrons". And it's unavoidable. In a card game, even when cards are well shuffled, you will see patterns. A normal distribution is not an even distribution.

So yes, in current GW3, USA has been struck by several events. They even make some sense together - the government is obviously unpopular, and protestations against that government take different forms. Some air-transport friendly, some far less. That's life! INHO, there should not even be limits to series of events, be they good or bad. When train strikes begin in France, God forbids you to bet when they're gonna to finish.....

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »
Each event is categorized (like all volcano events are in the same class) and events in the same category cannot happen unless there are xx days between them. Naturally the positive and negative events are not in the same category.

The location of the major events are also picked based on where the airlines are based.. Volcano in Papua New Guinea is less likely than volcano in USA.

Don't see anything wrong here..

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.