Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Many smaller aircraft vs few larger ones on the same airport  (Read 357 times)

Offline lpopa93

• Members
Many smaller aircraft vs few larger ones on the same airport
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:08:51 PM »
Hi guys! I have a question about how the game works. Munich airport is open starting with 5AM, and all the slots from 5 to 6 are filled. As the airport closes at midnight, that means even less flight time. I have some destinations with 5-6 737s flying in, and of course, that means many occupied slots. Should I replace the 737s on these routes with larger aircraft, in order to have less flights towards the destination in order to free some slots? Will this affect the number of passengers that I will carry on the route?

Is it generally a good or bad idea to replace let's say two 737-800 (150pax each) with one 767 (320 pax economy, and also some business seats, as they are in demand)?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Many smaller aircraft vs few larger ones on the same airport
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 03:45:59 PM »
Generally speaking, flying widebody jets on short routes is not economical. You could perhaps use the largest 737 available (-900) to maximize the capacity without compromising the operational costs.

But 6 daily flights to a destination with a lot of demand is not a problem either...

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 05:25:22 PM »
The game seems to like 2 or 3 aircraft meeting the demand on short haul routes.  Same as real world where folk want to get to a meeting and home again in one day.  For Long haul then it can still work but aircraft size seems to be more attractive.  For Regional Jets (500nm to 1500nm) then the B73x's do a good job if the demand provides load factors over 70%.  There are some decent smaller jets but size matters over 1,000 nm.

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 03:07:35 PM »
It is a very bad idea to replace 2 737 for a 767 in short haul.

As a general rule, if you have competition, go with more frequencies.

If you have a monopoly (or if there's unfilled demand) in the route you can go with bigger airplanes, but in short haul economics favors narrowbodies over wide.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.