Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Seriously, does Fleet Commonality Really Matter  (Read 570 times)

Offline Shmant

• Members
Seriously, does Fleet Commonality Really Matter
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
In my Game World, the airline making the most profit in the last quarter has 504 aircraft, including 6 different fleet types (2 Airbus, 4 Boeing and a McDonnell Douglas Families). Last quarter, they made 2 440 067 231 USD as pre-tax profit.
The second most profitable airline last quarter has 430 aircraft, including 17 different fleet types (1 ATR, 2 Antonov, 2 Boeing, 2 Bombardier, 3 Embraer, 1 Fairchild Dornier, 1 McDonnell Douglas, 1 Pilatus, 1 Sukhoi, 1 Tupolev and 2 de Havilland Families). Last quarter, they made 1 588 112 522 USD as pre-tax profit.

Anyone know how to make so much profit with so many different fleet types (and even with these Russian Planes too)?

Online ZombieSlayer

• Members
Re: Seriously, does Fleet Commonality Really Matter
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 08:22:58 PM »
Im guessing they have very little competition and high load factors. At 504 frames, the cost of 4-6 fleet types is roughly 400% of 1-3 fleet types. This could easily be a $300-400m a month penalty. So, if they hade $2.5 billion, they could have made $3.7bn. The other guy, how many planes does he have? At the same 500 planes, 12 fleet types, cost could easly be 1200% of 3 type cost.

Also, when you say 4 Boeing, I assume that is like 737, 747, 757, 767, not 737-700, -800, -900, -900ER?

Edit: Being a beginners  world helps eith those profits significantly. Neither of them would likely survive a full world with thise numbers, especially the second guy.
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 10:09:20 PM »
Are all planes actually scheduled or do they just have a bunch?

Offline schro

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:53:40 AM »
Of note, in GW3, I just kicked off a fleet transition bringing me to 4 types. Fleet commonality costs went from 82.1 million per month to 955.1 million per month. This is with a fleet of ~1000 planes, and a current profit of ~500m per month.

Offline Shmant

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 01:11:35 PM »
Also, when you say 4 Boeing, I assume that is like 737, 747, 757, 767, not 737-700, -800, -900, -900ER?

Correct.

Thanks guys  :)

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
Commonality is more a matter of personnel rather than the planes. Each type can only be serviced by appropriately trained and Authorised Engineering Staff.  Training is usually at the manufacturers base, or a local Authorised Training Company.  It's expensive, it takes engineers out of servicing and into the classroom when you'd rather they were working, and you have to have enough trained people to cover holiday leave, out-of-base fixes, and all the other stuff that messes with maintenance, including a comprehensive parts stock.
So the way the basic game deals with this is reasonable, though I've no idea how flexible the big airlines can be with off-base maintenance (A and B).
There's also no provision for Wet Leasing, where the aircraft owner pays for the Fuel and does the servicing, all at a charge to the operator. It's the sort of thing real world do to cover non-scheduled gaps in aircraft numbers or types (with short leases). The sort of thing they need when they've paid out for advertising and find that shiny new aircraft has slipped in delivery date, or when 'C' and 'D' checks stack up.

11Air

Offline tise1983

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »
Yeah it may show a plane in "use" but if it is not scheduled the guy is not getting penalized,  I saw that list of planes, and if he actually had them flying he would have been bankrupt

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.