Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Aircraft too small for route.  (Read 292 times)

Offline wapp11

• Members
Aircraft too small for route.
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:11:22 PM »
I did some reading and can't find the exact answer I'm looking for. I used to play a couple years ago and aircraft size didn't matter for longer haul. Now it seems it does. However in the beginners world I was flying a route 2x a day from KJFK to SEQU 2460NM supplying about 125% supply with 757-300s. I was able to only achieve about 25% LF. I got the too small of AC warning. I restarted my airline, am now flying the same route 2X a day supplying about 120% with 310-200 a slightly smaller AC, but considered a very large AC, versus the 757 as just a large AC. I am at 55% LF, and no warning. Even though the 310 is smaller, does the fact it is considered a very large AC assuming becuase it's a wide-body and shares family with 300 make the difference?  I also read that a single flight supplying 100% supply on a smaller demand route would be fine with a small AC? Any input would be appreciated as I need to understand this better if I plan to play again.

Offline schro

• Members

The 2 people who like this post:
Re: Aircraft too small for route.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
The number of seats for the calculation is based upon the average number of seats within a given fleet type. Thus, the average of the 752 and 753 seats would be less than the A306, A306R, A310-200 and A310-300 total seats, and that average number is used to determine whether the plane is too small. Also, keep in mind, that the "too small" warning is based upon the game year (the later the year, the higher the threshold) and demand to the destination. For the demand side of things, generally if you meet demand with one flight per day, you will be fine, however, you'll want to consider growth on the route - if demand goes up 20-30%, then you'll have a problem. Couple of made up illustrative examples:

1980: 757 on a 3500nm route with 1000 demand - fine
2010: 757 on a 3500nm route with 1000 demand - too small

2010: 757 on a 3500nm route with 200 demand - fine
2010: 757 on a 3500nm route with 400 demand - too small

Ninja edit - the type of destination also matters - domestic vs international -

757 on JFK-SEA with 1000 demand - fine
757 on JFK-YVR with 1000 demand - too small

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:47:39 PM »
Thanks Schro. I'm used to know the international limits of my planes, but not the national ones. In the EU, it usually does not matter(though, for the SW3.....), countries are too small anyways. If, for my next game, I go to a bigger nation, I might pay attention.

Anyways, my current rule for a thumb is :
_For a SW3, be cautious above 280NM
_For a ERJ, be cautious above 600NM
_For a Ejet, be cautious above 12000M
_For a 737, be cautious above 2000NM

"be cautious" means "don't go there if demand exceeds capacity, or if there is any kind of opposition". I closed recently a EGPF-KMSP who earned a lot of money for 2 decades, and then went obsolete. I don't have anything bigger than a 737 in that game. Always sad, but you have to choose between buying a few overpriced 777/350 for a few prestige routes, and flooding the european market with SW3(lots of fun, even if overall profit is really low). My previous game, I had 777. Some of them were making good money, many were not, and half a billion a piece is a big deal, for an average-sized company.

Previous game, also, I had zounds of A148E, flying routes up to 2200NM. Then around, 2023, I noticed they suddenly stopped making any money on routes above 1800NM. Too small penalty + increasing petrol prices. Those medium planes are really getting drunk around 2000NM, where they drink suddenly far too much petrol. Replaced them with over-sized MAX7. Profitability did jump up. Yeah, above 1800NM, on a route with 80 demand, after 2020, a MAX 7 is much more profitable than a A148E. Even if you can buy only one for the price of 6 A148E.....(But the B variant, limited to 1790NM, prevents you from doing (too) stupid things. If costs go below 20M$, you can go there, it's actually good stuff. The A variant is good even for newbies)

Of course, being a dumbass, I began again this game, with overpriced Ejets instead of underpriced A148(London City is a big trap. You can easily build a fortress with 75% market share there, but it forbids you going with better fleet types. Of course, if there is a trap, I HAVE to jump in to be sure it's really a trap. I even tried IL62M, one day. That one was painful. 92 VLA pilots for 2 planes at maximum wage. Don't. It nearly killed me).

TL;DR : find the limits of your planes, and only go beyond if you know what you do. And even if you know what you do, you might have nasty surprises.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »
Thanks Schro. I'm used to know the international limits of my planes, but not the national ones. In the EU, it usually does not matter(though, for the SW3.....), countries are too small anyways. If, for my next game, I go to a bigger nation, I might pay attention.

Intra-europe does matter, but typically later in the game. I've seen MD90's/A320/737NGs have issues out of LHR to eastern europe on routes around 1500-1600nm that have say, 750 demand, where in that same route in the US would not be a problem at all.

Offline wapp11

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
Thanks guys.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.