Vote for the next mini-game

Started by Sami, November 10, 2015, 05:31:21 PM

Sami

The Early Days game ends soon and it will be replaced by another shorter scenario with a special theme.

Let me know your wishes!

Vebbe

Africa mode would be so cool with no long haul.
First introduced to AWS in 2009, still working on how to build an airline.

Sami

Quote from: Verkku.KGo on November 10, 2015, 05:43:19 PM
Africa mode would be so cool with no long haul.

We had Africa + South America a year ago, so it's this time some other region.

tcrlaf

"Something Else..."

How about a "Regulated North America" under CAA rules?
Start 1946, no large aircraft available at the start, they must be built.

Bidding for routes, route capacity limited to 150%
Whistle-stopping/"Empty Segments" allowed. (say two-three downline cities, then back to hub.)
"Overseas US Hubs" allowed in Manilla, Tokyo, and Berlin
These rules end on Jan 1, 1982, then it' a free-for-all.
Fares may ONLY be set to default until July 1, 1979, then any allowed.

Max Airlines per route, under regulation:
Trunks (LAX-NYC, Ord-SFO): 4 (Others may whistle-stop, but only those authorized can fly non-stop, up to the route capacity limit.)
Large (FLL-NYC, Den-Ord): 3
Medium  (Ind,CVG,PHX, TPA, etc): 2
Small (SBN,ATW,EUG, etc) : 1

Same applies to Int'l routes.

A coding nightmare, I realize, but would add a whole new "Real-world" experience, especially if you could arrange sales of route authorities between airlines.

helliviknow

Something Else--

I like the idea of a regulated north america with an all out free for all in 82!! Also, the current early days was a cool theme but the border-less expansion kinda ruined it for me. In the long term, I would love love love to see some sort of situation involving hubs, where the demand for your main line/international/inter hub routes would creep up as you connect regional spokes. I know, I dream big.

aeronut555

Early days, start with post WWII, but limit number of airlines and flights.  for example if the anticipated passenger capacity between two cities is 500, dont allow a total capacity of 1000 seats, limit the number of seats to a percentage above the estimated.  Too many flights and too many airlines flying the same routes leads to no one making money.
Also, no not allow bases in different continents.

Johan87

Quote from: sami on November 10, 2015, 05:31:21 PM
The Early Days game ends soon and it will be replaced by another shorter scenario with a special theme.

Let me know your wishes!

How about a world airliner with homebase + 1 hub which cannot be bigger then homebase and 1 base in every continent?

tise1983

Whole world, Similar to the Early days but from say 2010 to 2030

Mr Yoda

Whole world GW between 2000 and 2020 but only "Very Big Aircraft" allowed to be used (A330, B747, A380, B777 etc)

tise1983

im with YODA, but I wold say Large A/C and Very large A/C, so like 100pax plus A/C

tise1983

I would like to add, if we get to pick bases in any countries like the early days (which was fun) then there should not be alliances...just an opinion

joel1968

Here's a crazy idea...create a scenario with a specific start date (I personally think January 1979 would be ideal), then players choose an airline that existed on that date...fleet, hubs, routes, the works...and play until January 2000.  It would be a small game, only 40-50 players.  The airline names would be changed in such a way to recognize the actual airline.  Imagine if Braniff, Pan Am, and Northwest became the three biggest US carriers, or if Swissair and Sabena ruled Europe...=).

tcrlaf

Quote from: helliviknow on November 10, 2015, 08:04:39 PM
Something Else--

I like the idea of a regulated north America with an all out free for all in 82!!

It could be "interesting".

Routes limited to a capacity of 150% of demand would force a total rethink in how you order and allocate aircraft. Using a 300-seat demand trunk route as an example (Say LAX-Chicago), when you are limited to a TOTAL of 450 seats of capacity, divided by 4 eligible airlines, that means you get just 113 seats, regardless of what anyone else is doing.

Do you throw ALL of those seats on just one aircraft? Or do you run two smaller aircraft for the competitive advantage? (Since all airlines were fare-controlled by the government with ony inflation adjustments allowed, the competitive differences were SEATING, and the level of inflight service, such as meals, drinks, sky hostess skirt lengths, etc)

You are also competing against the Whistle-stoppers who are not bound by the 150% route limit, but rather by the limit set by the routes they are stopping over at.
Say they run LAX-FSD-ORD:
The MAX number of seats they can run into ORD on that route is 150% of the demand on LAX-FSD, or FSD-ORD. They could run a DC-6 or a 727 over the route, but they would be limited to just the 80 FSD-LAX seats, and then 45 seats into ORD. That means they could only offer 45 seats LAX-ORD.

And they can run any number of flights over different cities from LAX-ORD, with the stop-over penalty, of course. Until 1979, you are all charging the exact same fare for it.

If you want to complicate things even further, you can add the CAB's route bidding system in, as well. (Minus the "Juan Trippe Method" of buying Senators, of course.)
In the beginning, you BID for the rights to fly a route. (Say, starting at the slot cost as a minimum bid.)
Any number of airlines with a hub at either end can bid for the non-stop rights, but it will be awarded only to the highest bidders.

When a company goes bankrupt, the route, or their portion of it, becomes available for bidding again, with the award coming 90 days after the bid deadline.
To add some poison, if you are awarded a route, you MUST fly it within 60 days, for at least two years, even at a loss. if you don't fly it at ALL times (Even during D Checks) you get fined by the CAB, heavily.

You will REALLY have to think about about where you fly, how you bid, and what you buy/lease. You won't be able to simply buy up all of the aircraft production, and simply plaster the map with flights.

Sami

Quote from: tcrlaf on November 10, 2015, 06:47:17 PM
"Something Else..." How about a "Regulated North America" under CAA rules?

The 'something else' will still be something else that falls under the capabilities of the game in current state,  ... ie. something that can be done with the current customization and settings options.

avi8or

Quote from: joel1968 on November 11, 2015, 05:27:58 AM
Here's a crazy idea...create a scenario with a specific start date (I personally think January 1979 would be ideal), then players choose an airline that existed on that date...fleet, hubs, routes, the works...and play until January 2000.  It would be a small game, only 40-50 players.  The airline names would be changed in such a way to recognize the actual airline.  Imagine if Braniff, Pan Am, and Northwest became the three biggest US carriers, or if Swissair and Sabena ruled Europe...=).

Swissair and Sabena ruled Europe. At least until October 3. 2001 when they decided not to take off anymore ;D

Maarten Otto

"It's a small world after all"

Only aircraft up to 75 seats max and production lines stay open longer to accommodate this.

You wanted a challenge?

Flash

Quote from: joel1968 on November 11, 2015, 05:27:58 AM

I love that! I would totally be in.

Sami

Tight race between 'Cross the Pond' and 'Regional Challenge' ... Could probably run both of them, with starting intervals of ~3 weeks.

Regional game would most likely have fully free basing, like current Early Days. Atlantic scenario would have normal base rules.

Mr Yoda

Quote from: tise1983 on November 11, 2015, 02:34:46 AM
im with YODA, but I wold say Large A/C and Very large A/C, so like 100pax plus A/C
Nah, most airlines in every gw operate Large and Very Large AC anyway so that'll be boring.

bdnascar3

Quote from: sami on November 11, 2015, 01:40:39 PM
Tight race between 'Cross the Pond' and 'Regional Challenge' ... Could probably run both of them, with starting intervals of ~3 weeks.

Regional game would most likely have fully free basing, like current Early Days. Atlantic scenario would have normal base rules.

Why not have free base rules for both? I like the freedom and planning it requires, plus makes some of the medium/large bases more attractive as the larger bases get more competition.