Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [ok] Random events, fuel price, etc.  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Big Ern

• Members
[ok] Random events, fuel price, etc.
« on: February 20, 2009, 03:53:43 PM »
Would it be possible to have a game with fully random events, fuel prices, etc.? The events would be posted in world events. For example we'd get a news article on 1993 that the 1998 olympics would be held at xxx city/country and so on. This would boost demand during the games to that city. Same would go also for soccer world cup, etc. After this you could plan extra routes and so on.

Another question on simulating charter traffic. This would need summer and winter season planning, but the idea is that airlines would get requests to offer capacity on certain routes for certain dates for a certain season. Example: request to fly 1998/99 winter season from ARN to FNC would go to the companies based within 500Nm and everyone could make their offer for it. This might also need an option to start a charter or "normal" airline. A bit complex I know.

I'm available to give insider view on the ideas if needed.

/BE
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:38:39 PM by sami »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Random events, fuel price, etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:42:41 PM »
Events are planned. But not yet .. or quite soon .. as there are other things needed for those to work that I should do first (some changes to economy model, pax demand model and also a better news system about world events). Plus all the events would have to be collected.

Also already now the system supports a fully customizable interest rate, inflation model and fuel price indexes. By default they follow real world but they can be set to anything for any given game. (month/year basis)

Charter has it's topic too.

Offline Big Ern

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:35:38 AM »
Thanks and ok! Pressing search... :)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
First technical test version of random events that affect the demand is finished. This was rather simple to program with the new demand calculation system...

Simply a database where I have the start and end dates for each event and the airport it affects, and naturally a figure/factor of the effect to the regular demand. The activation of the event can be sudden or gradual (ie. sudden demand change overnight or gradually over months) - when event ends the demand change back to normal is always gradual. If the event affects the demand negatively (lowers it) the oversupply checker is also ignored while the event is in force.

Seems to be working for individual airports, but country-wide events are a bit more tricky due to the amount of re-calculations required and these I haven't built yet. Each event can have an effect to single airport or a complete country, all routes from and to. Also will have the possibility to auto-post a news of the event; news has to be pre-written of course. Events can be also global (all games) or game specific.

There is of course no data whatsoever on this, but the technical side will be implemented to running games already now however. (does not have any visible effects)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:52:26 AM by sami »

brique

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »
Random events affecting demand to a city or entire country? That sounds like a mean, evil, horrid and nasty thing to be doing to poor unsuspecting players: it gets my vote!

I reckon it would add some spice to the game : both for 'real' events i.e the Japaneses Tsunami or even totally random, made-up ones that copy real events : i.e 'Hurricane Sami' devastating the Caribbean/US Gulf area.

But please restrict such horrors to places I aint based at... pretty please :)

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
This really sounds like fun, I agree with Brique.. it would spice things up a bit. :) Hurricanes in the Caribbean, Tornado season in the US, Icelandic volcanoes, Godzilla in Japan..

Aerlingus1916

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
Hamburger factories shut down :'(

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
As you may have seen from the announcements the events module has been in action a bit lately for the first time. In GW3 there has been a long-term event (>1 yr) which isn't really covered by this new stuff, but in games 1+2 there have been one/two-day events affecting single airports. These have been all manually inserted stuff so far but the idea is to create automated random events, based on some pre-created even models.

Events are divided into two categories - real historical events and non-historical events.

So what I'd need is someone "creative" who can think up different random events that could take place. This would mean a framework and ideas for let's say 40-50 different events that can happen at airports that affect the flights and/or demand there. For example a snowstorm cancelling all flights or a flu epidemic causing the demand to drop. These events would be automated and random with no historical background. In other words the system randomly picks an event type (let's say snowstorm), then picks an airport (or many airports or a country) where this happens and then makes the demand rise/drop and/or the flights delay/cancel based on what the event says. Also a news is posted of the event, and the news items are pre-written too (the system just fills in the details of the airport etc.). Volunteers?

And another thing would be to collect a list of REAL historical events that have taken place and get a list of those. This is rather a big thing since we're talking of things from 1950s onwards, and events of national or global scale. In other words olympics would raise the demand to certain airports, while a war between two countries does the opposite and so forth. All these real events haven't been technically thought out yet since there are so many variations but a sort of "work group" for this would be nice.

(Do note that the "long-term relations" between countries have been already modelled, so for example US and Cuba relations are cold, leading to lower demand. But this talk is all about short-term events that affect specific areas/airports/countries and are rather short in duration. And also these events I'm talking about are not something that consider a single airline or aircraft - these are events independent of players)

Here's also one duplicate thread: http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,43126.0.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:44:16 PM by sami »

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »
I would say that random event probability should be based on pax numbers at an airport/region/country (more pax = higher probability).  The reason being obviously the busier areas have more chances of things going wrong, but also that newer players typically base at smaller airports and while they should get hit by random events, it shouldn't be regularly their airlines are usually going to be much more fragile.

BD

• Former member

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 03:31:13 AM »
Some random events affect single airport I can think of:
- Aviation accident (like the Asiana incident at KSFO), caused all/most traffic to be delayed/cancelled for 1-2 weeks
- Protest/Rebel take over airport (Bangkok), and all operation is shut down for 1-2 weeks
- Flood, drought, earthquake, diseases, etc, that cause incoming pax to reduce, outgoing pax might be the same, or increasing, as people want to move out of the area ASAP?
- Snow/Sand storm/hurricane will cause delay and cancellation
- Major incidents: terrorist attack, Japan nuclear incident, demand drop for several months?
- Airports got upgrade (i.e. every time a major slots drop), more delay and cancellation due to terminal, runway, custom, .... upgrade
- Airport incident: A/C collision, birds moving season, fuel car accident, etc... causing delay/cancellation for 1 day
- Union strike, airline staff join in

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 07:36:58 AM »
Events should not be gamebreaking, so no 100% or so cancellations for a week or even more.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 03:42:49 PM »
I got into the topic a bit and while I see how events are great and add not just things to react in the game but also lots of immersion, I feel like there should be UI changes to suit such a feature.

1) It's about the "main view" we have here http://www.airwaysim.com/game/
At the moment there is "Airline news feed" and "Global events". While global events works with very few and manual installed events I can imagine a higher amount of events would cause trouble. It would
a) spam away new aircraft and airport announcements
b) spam away the for the specific player important random event

So the existing two should be splitted in the following three:
- Airline news feed => what we have now
- Global Announcements => new aircraft, new engine variants, production line closures, new airports etc.
- Global Events => All historical and random events

2) The player should also be notified directly if an event occurs at his airport or at one of his base airports. This could either be via ingame message like lease expire or tax summary or with a special notification window like flying aircraft with missed checks.

With 100-150 random events or even more PLUS historical events and many of them occuring several times a month people will (!) lose track of all of them and must be notified seperately I think.

3) While there should be no gamebreaking events there should be events lasting for several weeks or month. Such events should also be especially notified to the players that fly into affected airports.

4) Oversupply warnings should not be triggered for event generated oversupply because demand went down for a short time.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 09:44:33 PM »
#1 will be done
#4 is already done

#2/3 most likely not (unless it's a major event affecting his home base)

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 09:48:03 PM »
Very nice!

#2/3 were meant for major events like a flu outbreak that lasts several weeks or month and actually causes a bit of trouble.

The idea is, if there is a volcano outbreak in North America and I'm based at Europe I might take this chance and perform C/D-Checks on my North America Long-Haul aircraft.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »
Random non-realworld events are now done, but was wondering if we should add database of historical real events too?  ie. wars and such. Technically it would be fully supported.

Just the matter of data collection.

Offline LotusAirways

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »
... was wondering if we should add database of historical real events too?  ie. wars and such.

A big yes from me. Wars, putsches, coups, takeovers, rebellions. And I offer my help on collecting such information since 1946.
LA

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 01:32:41 PM »
Random non-realworld events are now done, but was wondering if we should add database of historical real events too?  ie. wars and such. Technically it would be fully supported.

Just the matter of data collection.

You missed your window sami.  For April Fools Day you could have made every airport as part of Germany, used Google translate to convert all the game pages to German, and triggered an event saying the Germans won WW2.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.