Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Small Airlines  (Read 477 times)

Offline RougeCanuck

• Members
Small Airlines
« on: October 29, 2015, 05:48:06 AM »
I want to try running a small airline. Any pointers on where one could have some success running 50-100 seat flights, and which planes to start with?

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
Re: Small Airlines
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 07:56:27 AM »
depends on the era.

First, you have a stategic choice to make : turboprops, or jets? Jets are costiler per seat, bu allow more travels per plane per day. I'm always going for jets, but many players do have success with turboprops.

Then, be sure not to over-extend. For example, ERJs are "too small" above 600NM, Ejets above 1200NM(unless national flights, but as I play in the UK, I did not experience this). So avoid big destinations that are "too small", or could be soon.

Finally, make sur to fill your schedules. I just landed at Warsaw, and I've got lines with a lot of opposition; but as my planes are very busy(4-5 flights a day), it's still profitable. And if the 6am slots are all taken, you can "cheat" by flying overnight. You'll lose one day(because of the Acheck), but still 6 days per week for one more flight is good to take. It's worth only if your base airport is full, and the target is not, though, but I'm using it a lot from London City. It makes more bang for the same amount of planes.

Ah, and the choice of base airport is crucial. Average-sized ones without opposition are ideal, places like Prestwick, Beauvais, Reus... London City is a special case, and I would not advice it to a beginner. I won't come back there either, it's fun, profitable when well-used, but it's limited. I cannot even use properly this huge demand to Cairo.

Offline Maarten Otto

• Members
    • My photo site
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 11:36:43 AM »
Get the EMB120's, they run cheap and are pretty fast. You might also go for the Jetstream as that fleet group offers a 29 and a 15 seater iirc saving you money. Even a 15 seat plane can be operated t a decent profit on routes up to 300NM

Offline tise1983

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »
depends on the time frame of the game...but for a 50-100 seater airline Bombardiers and EMB jets are very nice.  You need to make sure you are at an airport or country with the demand, which shouldn't be hard to find.  CRJ-1000 is my favorite sub 100 seat plane.  But it can be rather expensive.  If you are in an advanced world the MRJ, Mitsubishis are really nice, but pricey.  I have never run a turbo-prop airline, but i have a few of the medium 50-100 seater airlines, and you really cannot go wrong with any of them.  I have not tried the Russian or Chinese 100 seaters because of their fuel burn.  The Bombardier CRJ Family provides the best range from 44 (CRJ 200 with standard seating) to 88 seats (you can cram HD seating in the CRJX if you like to get above 88) and you only will have 1 feet type helping to keep costs down. The EMB's are kind of the same way, giving you many seating options and keeping fleet types to a minimum.

I am still kind of new to the game though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 08:31:05 PM »
Ahh small airlines are a challenge. Start short on your routes and work your way out in terms of distance. I am running 200+ Fairchild Metro's in Romania in GW4 and some are doing 900nm sectors a day, as long as I get 2 sectors per day out of them they are turning a profit, nothing huge but my margins are still hovering around 25%. This is one of the reasons I went for the Metro given it has a 275knot airspeed so I can do two sectors like that, go for anything slower and you would struggle with it, or have to fiddle with the schedules quite a bit to do it.

I feel I have taken small plane airlines to some sort of ridiculous extreme. So anything is possible I think as long as you are willing to try.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 08:31:40 PM »
CRJs are cool, but if you go counter-intuitive, sometimes, it can work. Or not. In previous GW3, I did go full A148. The worse of RJs(bar the ARJ21). But demand was so low that I could buy 3 for the price of 1 CRJ700. My switch from CRJ to A148 has been an excellent move. In the same game, noone was buying SSJs, so they were an excellent choice. In current GW3, A148 have disappeared quickly, and SSJs are under high demand. The cheap plane is, this time, the Fairchil-Dornier 728...(I went for Ejets because of my base in London City. They are cool, but costly as well).

fleet choice is always a gamble. When you're alone, and strong enough to keep the line open, you're the king of the world. But if 5-6 strong company jump in the same wagon, well, not so much. A good part of this game is to go where others are not. And this changes from game to game.

Offline tise1983

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 09:07:28 PM »
yeah freshmore has a good point, i try to have a minimum of 3 routes a CRJ/regional/small jet, and if i am lucky i can get 4-5 short routes on one plane...those planes makie a killing...the few instances i have 2 routes on a smaller plane, they barely make a profit. 

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »
To be honest any airline in its early stages should be looking to get at least 2 routes per day out of any aircraft, the more the better. LH excepted of course.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.