Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Website extremely laggy recently  (Read 661 times)

Offline vortex787

• Members
Website extremely laggy recently
« on: October 18, 2015, 07:26:23 PM »
Hi there,

I wonder if anybody else is experiencing this game very very laggy for the last couple of days, or is it just me?
For example: I just clicked on "New Topic" and it took around 5s for the browser to contact the server. But I also have this problem in the game itself, which is very annoying. Right now I am setting up another 7day-scheduling and about every 3rd or 4th time I click on "create route for the next day", it's loading the header of the new page, but the main page (where I can select the flight number, slots etc.) is remaining blank for a couple of seconds. Now 5-10 seconds does not sound that much, but it is really annoying! It happens throughout every page in game, sometimes the page shows up in just split seconds (like it always did), sometimes I have to wait for a few seconds and the "Loading" circle on the Browser-Tab is rotating on and on just to see the red number, telling me how many new messages I got on the Dashboard from "Aircraft News"!

Every other website I am visiting on a regular basis has not changed, I only experience this laggy behaviour on AWS. However the connection to AWS seems stable with no ping spikes and ping times around 56ms. The problem remains the same no matter if I use Windows 7 or Linux Mint. I am using Mozilla Firefox and have not tested any other browser yet. Does anybody else have the same problem as I do?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Website extremely laggy recently
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »
You can monitor the response and uptime statistics measured by a third-party from this link:

http://uptime.airwaysim.com/   (generic data)
http://uptime.airwaysim.com/371400    (detailed data)

Today's average response time has been around 340ms which is well within normal limits.

In nearly all of the cases the problem is somewhere between your location and our location, and those are usually temporary issues.

edit: I have also added the server's page loading timer to the public view now. It's located at the footer section of the site, below the copyright notice. You can use that to monitor how long the server prepares the page.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:51:57 PM by sami »

Offline vortex787

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
340ms is pretty good. As I said, when I 'ping airwaysim.com' from the command line/Terminal box I get around 56ms without any spikes at all, which is the strange thing about it. Just now I clicked on "Create another route like this", selected the next day (normal time to reload), then deselected the previous day and I had to wait for 7s for the website to be loaded so I could continue and create the route. Have you changed anything (maybe logical or visually) to the game recently that might interfere with the Mozilla Firefox Browser? As I said this problem occurs for the last few days, maybe 1 week.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:54:35 PM »
If the ping is good, then it's strange. You don't happen to have any browser add-ons enabled that could act as proxies? (since ping via command line might not be the same .. Some slow VPN connection turned on by accident?)

Or does it still act up if you connect via wifi-sharing through your mobile phone for example?

Also, see the edit on previous message about the server's internal timer which is now visible.

Pingdom (the monitoring program) has also a nice updated dashboard for us admins .. Here's a screenshots for fun (European locations):
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:59:37 PM by sami »

Offline vortex787

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 08:30:17 PM »
Hi again,

I also took some screenshots that maybe help identify the problem. I blacked out some stuff by myself.

In this case I was clicking on the "One unread message button" in the header, the game was 'stuck' at screenshot 1 for about 10s, no messages were showing and the body of the page was just as blank as you see it on the screenshot. After roughly 10s I could finally have a look at my messages, however the timer at the bottom says that the loading took only 0.03s (screenshot 2).
It seems to me that the interface is taking a lot of time to load properly, however this occurs very sporadically. I just clicked again on the messages page and it loaded fast as ever.
Next click: Back to the Dashboard the header is being loaded while the body is taking its time (screenshot 3). Maybe 3s later Firefox says "Waiting for static.airwaysim.com" at the bottom left corner and it's still loading 30s counting now (screenshot 4). All it had to load really was the red button with the white "2" in it besides "Aircraft news".

Offline Cardinal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 02:37:51 AM »
I am also getting good ping results (~118ms) and across-the-pond download speed (speedtest.net to Helsinki = 45Mbps) and for the most part the site is working normally.

But for the past 3 days the scheduling screen has been rather lethargic. After any operation (add flights, move schedule to another plane, schedule maintenance, etc) I will frequently get stuck on the "Loading" prompt for ~15 seconds, and in a few cases as long as 30 seconds of watching the spinning pinwheel waiting for it to react. These are all operations where the page does not reload.

I've been doing a lot of work in GW2 the past few days so that's where I've noticed it.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 08:11:16 AM »
Some of the pages are loaded in two parts, the main layout and then the content (which can be updated dynamically). Scheduling page is one such example.

I do suspect the issue is somewhere else than on the actual server's page processing time which is what the lower left corner's loading speed indicator measures (since the issue is only for you two(?) and server loads are on normal low levels). But for fun and more data, I have added another part to it which measures now also the dynamic content's loading time.

If you load up dashboard page for example you will see only one time there ("Game engine v.1.3. Processed in 0.04 sec."), meaning that the whole page is loaded in a single go. On scheduling page (and others) you can now see two loading times once the page load is complete ("Processed in 0.03 & 0.04 sec") - first is the main layout and second is the dynamic content. The dynamic content timer updates every time a call to the server is made (try it out for example by going to the route editor and changing the turnaround time, content is re-loaded every time, and the processing time also changes). These are the times the server takes to build up the page (not the complete request time).

If some page processing time (all the time) exceeds ~1sec you should let me know.

The both vortex787's examples are because of network lag. The server has processed the pages quickly but it takes time to reach his end. Both of those pages (dashboard and messages) are loaded in one go, so there is no separate layout and content loadings like in scheduling page for example.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:19:59 AM by sami »

Offline Cardinal

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 04:42:39 PM »
If some page processing time (all the time) exceeds ~1sec you should let me know.

It's happening frequently today on the scheduling page. The dynamic content (2nd number) is taking 3-5 seconds to process. Screenshots of two of them. Neither was close to game-midnight.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
There are at least three times in a day when a full database snapshot is taken for backup purposes for example. I've noticed that it may cause up to a 10 sec page loading time if you happen to be on the site at the same time, but the delay lasts only for 30 secs so not causing slowliness for many minutes. But I've asked the server guys to look into this if it can be improved.

But if you happened to see this just a this time then it would explain it. The time of the occurence is also important to know, and also how long the problems lasted.

Offline flyboyzz1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 10:27:20 PM »
Not sure if it is a Safari problem or something i am doing but I get lags all the time where the thinking wheel will spin until I just refresh the page and start over.  I've sat there for a minute and nothing happens. Have seen this on most every page but typically worst on scheduling and opening routes. 

Offline vortex787

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »
Hi sami,

The time of the occurence is also important to know, and also how long the problems lasted.

it is happening right now. I click around the game randomly (My Aircraft page, Scheduling page, Dashboard and so on)... sometimes the interface is being loaded in a splitsecond, whereas right now I had to wait for about 20s for the website to load the "My Aircraft" list. But the times that are shown at the bottom left of the screen are fast as usual (0.03 & 0.05 seconds). It appears that something else is blocking/interfering so that the website loads slower. I am using Mozilla Firefox 41.0.2.

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 08:59:06 PM »
No problem at all on my side. I'm on Opera. (though maybe just I'm lucky with my connecting conditions).

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.