Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: down size  (Read 767 times)

Offline tdf42

• Members
down size
« on: October 14, 2015, 07:34:58 PM »
Given the fuel prices and the need to pick a next generation airplane is it a game disadvantage to go for E-Jets on routes longer than 800  miles as opposed to going with 738s?

Offline gazzz0x2z

• Members
Re: down size
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:55:45 PM »
Well, above around 1200NM, the Ejets are "too small", so there is no question.

Below, the question is much more interesting. And the answer is "it depends". It depends on the opposition. It depends on your overall strategy. It depends on your schedule opportunities.

I'm partial, because I'm currently flying both Ejets & 737 in current GW3. They are a good complement. Ejets can be efficient on smaller routes, trouncing opposition with frequency. OTOH, on bigger routes, they suffer from slot scarcity. And the lower cost-per-seat of the 737 makes it a good choice. The longer the route, the better.

In other words, it depends from your current GW, from your base airports, from opposition. From your strategy, also. What are other route opportunities? what would fill them? Are you in a country filled with opposition like the USA? Are you alone in a middle_sized country like Jordan? What is the average size & distance of your potential routes? Can you afford to wait to the C919 or the MRJ? There is no easy answer. You have to analyze your situation, guess what opponents will do, and take a risk. That guy who was flying 737 short routes from Faro did stand no chance against my Ejets. He BK's quickly. But I didn't attack his few longer routes. I was not strong enough(yet).

And a strategy is not static. In previous GW3, I had begun with a lot of CRJs. I was planning to upgrade my fleet to bigger CRJs. Then, in the early 2010s, I noticed that prices of A148 had plummeted. I could buy 3 of them for one single CRJ700. I completely changed my strategy, and it's been a very successful move. I got rid of nearly 200 CRJs within 10 years. Because of the specifics of that game, it was overall cheaper to fly A148s, the gain on the owning cost was more than enough to offset all other costs. But I can't do the same in current GW3 : A148 is no more built, and I'm having a base in London City where it cannot fly anyways. Hence the Ejets.

Your question is interesting, but never forget that you have to adapt everything that you read in answers to your own position.

Offline Cardinal

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 10:38:12 PM »
Well, above around 1200NM, the Ejets are "too small", so there is no question.

That depends on the route demand.

I fly E170s on hundreds of routes well over 1000nm in GW2. My E170LRs can fly about 2000nm in their current config and I push them to their limits frequently. And my E190ARs can go 2500nm, although I fly far fewer E190 routes overall so only a couple of my routes push their limits.

But...

I enjoy a relative monopoly on most of those routes. And these are routes where demand would not fill a 737, but will fill an E170 or E190, so they do not get a miniplane warning even at 2000nm+.

Offline tdf42

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 03:49:43 AM »
That depends on the route demand.

I fly E170s on hundreds of routes well over 1000nm in GW2. My E170LRs can fly about 2000nm in their current config and I push them to their limits frequently. And my E190ARs can go 2500nm, although I fly far fewer E190 routes overall so only a couple of my routes push their limits.

But...

I enjoy a relative monopoly on most of those routes. And these are routes where demand would not fill a 737, but will fill an E170 or E190, so they do not get a miniplane warning even at 2000nm+.
I have several Ejets on the way but an aging 734 fleet. I have 15 routes btwn 800 -1000 miles that I fly with no competition with demand close to 200 so the economics of flying 2 Ejets or one 738 is what is I am trying to decide.

Offline Cardinal

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 04:44:03 AM »
No competition? 1x738 is definitely better than 2xE170.

Offline Helix

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 05:47:11 AM »
no competition with demand close to 200 so the economics of flying 2 Ejets or one 738 is what is I am trying to decide.

I know it looks inviting to fly just 1x 738 instead of 2 Ejets with additional costs for staff and such but try to figure out how likely it is you will get competition at some point. A competitor could easily fly 2 smaller aircraft against your 1x 738 and grab most of the market share. I guess it depends how likely you see future competition stepping in on the route. For me as a player, the route that has 200 demand and already 2 E-Jets flying on them looks a lot less interesting.

Offline Cardinal

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 04:09:36 PM »
^^^ Helix makes a good point. I just looked up where you are located and what game.

GW1. 2006. 24 years left in the game. LaGuardia.

Now, if you've been flying it with a 734 all this time without competition, then maybe the game has reached the point where you won't get any more competition. If everyone else at LGA is on auto-pilot, you should be okay with the 738.

But Helix is right. A route with 2 (or even 3) E-jets already on it is a lot less inviting to a competitor, and if one does show up you will take less of a hit with multiple frequencies.

The other thing nobody has mentioned, and since you're at LGA it's more likely these routes are domestic. Domestic flights, even long ones, have a higher threshold for the miniplane warning, so you probably won't get a warning at all with the E-jets with ~200 demand for a 1200nm mid-continent flight.

Hope that muddied things up a bit  ;D

Offline tdf42

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 07:33:48 AM »
Thanks for the input. I guess I was just thinking out loud and needed to hear someone else say the obvious. I really want to fly Ejets and discourage anyone else thinking about it

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.