Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Maps  (Read 540 times)

Offline AlexMontoux-Jones

• Members
Maps
« on: September 18, 2015, 06:51:01 AM »
Really enjoying the game thus far. But I think as a historical game, the maps should represent national borders and countries via that era (e.g. in 1953, there was both East Germany and West Germany; Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia were both countries; and Russia would have officially been called USSR.) Like I know in the data tables it shows it as historically accurate but I figured it would add to the atmosphere of the game if the maps were represented accurately as well.
Just something I thought I'd point out. Happy flying!

Online LotusAirways

• Members
Re: Maps
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 07:20:02 AM »
Good point.
It seems that for simplicity the maps showing are just whatever google maps is showing at the present day.

Offline Bralo20

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 07:09:09 PM »
Btw:

Shouldn't JFK be named Idlewild?  JFK was only named JFK in 1963 afaik?

Offline bdnascar3

• Members

The person who likes this post:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 07:26:04 PM »
Remember this is a game, not a historic simulation, so some things are done for ease of programming, ie Bush Reagan and Kennedy airports

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 07:58:13 PM »
Shouldn't JFK be named Idlewild?  JFK was only named JFK in 1963 afaik?
Remember this is a game, not a historic simulation, so some things are done for ease of programming, ie Bush Reagan and Kennedy airports

Airport names can only change, if the airport closes and re-opens due to the way the system works.

As know on the airport changes in NRT, GRU, etc. the demand tends to go haywire when this happens. Also it would be overly complicated to change it.

Albeit many people today don't even remember those days, when the airports had their old names. - Remember, New York used to be New Amsterdam at some point....

Offline Fluclo

• Members

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »
Also it would be overly complicated to change it.
I don't understand why it would be complicated, the airport name is just a string variable, each airport would have an array of names and dates, and return the string appropriate to the current date. At it's most simplest, it would just be an array of names for each of the time periods such as  Early Years, Modern Times etc.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 11:28:11 AM »
I don't understand why it would be complicated

No, it's not complicated technically, but I just need the data from 1950 to 2030 for all airport renaming occasions globally.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.